Lost Games

Throne of Bhaal was actually Baldur’s Gate 3 I think…

Dreamland Chronicals: Freedom Ridge

I was so wowed by that game at E3 2000 that I could barely put it into words. I was very sorry to see it canceled.

I also have to list Babylon 5 because it was a pretty ambitious design.

Middle Earth.

I’m still bitter.

Leasure Suit Larry 8. And here is Al Lowes own page on it and a sample movie
http://www.allowe.com/L-8.htm

()weep not that the new LSL game is due to be shown in CGM next month)

No. I just want a list.[/quote]

Ok, I did an article for Happy Puppy back in 2000 and I’ve got it backed up on a disc somewhere. I’d dig it out if you needed it (but it’s only current to 2000).

Very recently:

Lord of the Rings: The Treason of Isengard

Greetings:
If I recall correctly (and no guarantees on that–Adam might know better), Swat 4 became Swat: Urban Justice, which in turn became Swat: Global Strike Team, which, as far as I know, is still in development multiplatform.

I don’t know that Sid Meier’s Dinosaurs was ever announced; the way I heard about it was one of the talks he did about the prototyping process.

RTCW: Enemy Territory (single player) was a casualty earlier this year.

<nostalgia>And as a total aside, I actually worked on Hammer’s Slammers; I’m touched that someone remembers that title existed. Part of me still hopes that it will one day get finished and published. There’s a lot of that design that still outpaces what’s getting released these days.
</nostalgia>

Michael.

Dinosaurs only reached prototype but it was announced and they had about three months of Dino Diaries. It was never officially Cancelled however and as of last year Meier claimed it was only “shelved”.

A PC Tennis game was cancelled just last week. Dreamcatcher made the announcement. World Open, or something like that.

Here’s another toughie. At one time there was a game in development that was going to be based on Fred Saberhagen’s Beserker series. I think the license got dropped but the game eventually came out. Anyone remember this, or the game?

SWAT: Global Strike Team is actually a different game than Urban Justice, slated for console only. Sierra has vaguely promised some kind of update concerning SWAT: UJ but they’ve said nothing in over a year.

I think it evolved into what is now UFO Aftermath.

Maybe EXO by Particle Systems should be added to the list. Don’t know what happened to them, or that game, but it’s been quiet around PS for quite a while now.
And their website looks like this now.

I believe Particle Systems was actually acquired by someone else (another UK developer). I don’t remember whom, though.

Argonaut Games.

That Babylon 5 game space sim full title was “Babylon 5: Into the Fire” from memory.

I think Dreamland Chronicles devolved into UFO: Aftermath. :P

There were unconfirmed rumours that there was a new space quest game in very early development that was canned.

That Delta Green pc game is on ice so who knows if it will ever be restarted. I have serious doubts.

Anyone know what’s going on with Vivisector: Beast Inside? I have doubts that will ever see the light of day.

And one for the Bitmap Brothers fans, there was meant to be a new speedball game for the pc:
http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-games/future/speedball-arena/index.htm

It was only announced because somone leaked news that it was in development. However what with Bitmap hitting hard times its future is far from certain. I did read earlier this year that Bitmap still had plans to do it. But that was an article related to them getting some government grant to keep afloat.

Still would have been cool if they’d been able to work out how to implement decent first person melee attacks like tackles etc.

Anyone know what’s going on with Vivisector: Beast Inside? I have doubts that will ever see the light of day.

Played it at the 1C booth at the Games Convention about six weeks ago.

Argonaut Games.[/quote]

Then you can ad EXO to the list of lost games
(not because of Argonaut. I just read that the game was scheduled for autum 2002. A year late and no mention of the game at Argonauts website spells “canceled” to me)

[size=2][/size]edited to clarify[/size]

What were you’re impressions of it?

What were you’re impressions of it?

As far as I’ve played it (5-8 minutes maybe) it played and looked like a standard FPS in the tradition of Unreal. I guess if you’re a hardcore FPS fan who needs to have any genre representative above the average one probably won’t be disappointed, but I didn’t consider it overwhelming. The enemies didn’t look too clever (but then again I don’t know what difficulty was set) and the graphics were ok but looked somewhat uninspired. Of course, I wouldn’t want to pass final judgement on the game after having it played for such a short period of time, but I personally found Far Cry and Breed more interesting.

Activision had a teaser trailer out for a remake of Planetfall a few years back. It looks like that got cancelled pretty early in development.