LOTRO: Knights of Quarter to Three

I’m downloading now, is there a particular need for any class or race or is everyone too lost to know? :) Thanks for the F7 tip above. Sounds like I might need that.

Dunno what’s needed but Burglars are an awesome class - they stealth but they are a very group friendly character, as they have a number of ways to incapicate a mob and they are necessary to start conjunctions, which is a way to have your group do a super-duper attack on a boss creature. They also have a bit of crowd control, can debuff creatures, and perform “tricks” -and if you roll as a hobbit, you can level up by delivering mail and pies - what’s not to love? (In addition, extra Burglars just means extra conjunctions, so when grouping, the more Burglars you have, the more you’re dishing out big damage).

I played one to the low 30s in the closed beta and absolutely loved it, and I don’t see a ton of them in the guild listing so I’d say try it out. Of course, Minstrels are the “healer class” so I bet they are also in short supply (though to be sure, most every class can do some healing [including Burglars]).

Good tips. Strangely I play a rogue and priest in WoW.

By the way…

If you have the preorder DVD, you should have the hi-res version of the client. The downloadable client does not have the highest resolution textures. But thanks to the intarwebs, you can grab it via bittorrent here. I have no idea if it’s kosher to post that, but I can’t imagine what the harm would be - it’s useless without a registered and active client, and the only reason it’s not in the download version is for size considerations.

Just dump that .dat file in the main game directory in Program Files (where all the other .dat files are) and you’re good to go. Choosing Ultra High for the main graphics options, or just going into “advanced graphics” and choosing Very High resolution textures will make them show up.

The game looks way, WAY better with them. Way.

Also - LOTRO has built-in voice chat. I couldn’t get anyone to try it out with me last night, but just scroll down in the audio menu. It’s got all the requisite stuff there…mic gain control, the option to have either push-to-talk or voice activated, voice activation threshold, a mic test level meter, etc. It even echos back to you when you do the mic test, so you can hear how loud/quiet you are.

So, yay voice chat!

Oh, and BTW - I don’t think you need to roll as a Hobbit to deliver mail and eggs and pies and stuff as quests. I went to the Shire with my elf and could get those quests.

The lack of a properly scaling UI is like a dumb joke.

Quaquam, the female elf guardian.

Though I am already feeling burnt out having run the newbie quests twice ;)

Awesome, thanks

Also, I think I will make a Burglar named Terd. Is that name taken? ; )

Awesome. Having to not fire up Ventrilo every time I log in is a bonus. As for the extra dat file, I skipped the torrent and found an alternate source. Basically if you can find someone (or some place) with the Beta DVD the dat file is on that. Thanks for the tip Jason.

Only if his last name is Fergusen.

My main characters are on Landroval but I’m about to hit the cap there so I’ll roll another here with the QT3 folks. That way I can see whether flaky QT3 or flaky work friends are still around in 2 months and make a call. :)

You’re correct, but it seemed so much more in character to do those quests as a hobbit, especially considering that as a hobbit you get dumped into Michel Delving after leaving noobville.

Wow, really? I bought the $10 preorder box from Bestbuy, but just used the preorder code on my old beta client. Is that .dat file just sitting on the DVD uncompressed? I can just copy it over? What is the .dat file called? client_highres.dat?

I really don’t want to reinstall and have to repatch.

Thanks for the textures link, Jason.

The voice chat works great. I’ve been using it for the last week with some guys I’ve been grouping with. One thing: you either get push-to-talk or always-on. There is no voice activated option. The always-on is the way to go as long as you don’t have background noise (including the game itself if you’re listening to it over speakers instead of headphones). My friends were having a little trouble with their voices cutting out when using the push-to-talk. I don’t know if that’s something with their setup (they both had the same headset & mic) or the game, but the always-on works like a charm, and even when there’s a little background noise, like somebody’s kid coming into the room, it’s not bad at all.

How retro?

Like, free DELL retro?

Uh, no. You’d probably need more ram and drop a video card in.

Runs great for me, very slick and impressive all around. Semptron 2400, Radeon 9800 Pro. Aside from the RAM I added last month, I would say my system rests near or on the ‘retro’ cusp.

Looking for an invite with Skipper, Human err Man Rogue

Just great.

Now that I’ve got almost 3 level 15’s on Landroval, with nicely interconnecting crafting professions, I find out that everyone is going to be playing on a different server. Just my luck

Regarding the hi-res textures, I find that using them pretty much guarantees that I will crash with 5-10 minutes of playing. This is on Vista with ATI drivers. Does anyone else have this problem?

I saw some suggestions, but somehow I must have missed the mass exodus. Or are you talking about a different ‘everyone’?

Edit: Gah, please ignore the food-coma that has stuck in this post. Overlooked your server name.