LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

Do you need to be VIP?

Did you buy a collector’s edition of something? I got a 50, a 104 and a 120.

Nope.

I got 104 and 120. No 50…(lol)

I don’t know what the 50 is from.

Huh. Where do I check what I got?

Uh, you have to log in on a character and they get boxes in their inventory with All of the Things.

It blasted me with armor and titles and carry-alls, and Aria’s.

Everyone got the collector’s edition giveaways for those expansions, but you don’t get the expansions themselves unless you’re a VIP.

VIPs get access to the three newest expansions, as long as they stay subbed.

I logged in a couple of days ago and gained 3 or 4 levels on my character. Logged in today and it’s erased everything I did. Anyone know why?

I had them already, it seems kind of screwy that they give you the ‘Stuff’ for the collector edition’s but don’t give you the expansions.

Ah I see, they added those 3 xpacs to VIP, which is still nice. It’s just super weird that everyone gets the titles and cosmetics and such from the CE’s of those.

VIP doesn’t really seem too beneficial anymore.

Edit edit: I mean, for someone like me, that bought MM, Three Peaks and Gundabad in a fit of MMO-ness around Christmas. Should have waited, holy heck.

I think they might have had to rollback the servers during the bugfix outage yesterday.

Just to clarify my earlier post: you get the three newest expansions before Gundabad included with VIP now. This is similar to how ESO does it: newest expansion is purchase-only, older expansions are included in a subscription or buyable separately.

Bought my first house. In Bree-land. Guess this relationship is getting serious.

Yep, I read it incorrectly on their page.

I always used to play with VIP and decided to catch up on expansions in late December and now I’m pretty unhappy about that fact.

Except now I can’t see a reason to have VIP (for me personally) anymore, since I own them all. The subscriber’s jug I guess? Not really worth $15 a month to me.

Yeah, I bought a 3-month early in the year that just ran out. The jug is pretty handy to have, and I miss it now. Unlike ESO’s endless crafting bag and massive storage upgrade, though, it’s not a must-have to play the game properly.

I don’t really remember what else it does besides halt item durability loss.

Makes crafting go faster, gives you a bit of an XP bonus, halts item wear, some extra inventory and wardrobe slots.

The big one for me is you get access to your vault and mailbox and auction house anywhere in the game. It’s a pretty big quality of life upgrade, but not $15/mo. big.

Oh yeah. Remote access. Still, yeah, not $15/mo good.

Just as an update to my earlier question about task carry-alls, I ended up with TWO of them in the gifts (one small reg, one med VIP), which is awesome, although it seems like there’s some logic issue with it not recognizing task items sometimes.

Is most of the free stuff character bound, or account bound? Haven’t had LOTRO installed for a loooong time, and don’t have any characters remaining that I care about. But if stuff is account bound, then of course I’ll install just to grab those things…