Low Magic Age - ToME-like visuals in a D&D wrapper!

I can’t believe we don’t have a thread for this, but it is a pretty darn indie game that seems to have snuck out of early access at some point. I bought it years ago for five bucks (it’s $9.99 now) and even gifted several copies around because I had so much fun with the early access Arena mode where you roll up a party of D&D characters and tackle waves of enemies, gaining levels and better equipment as you go. As far as game modes go, it’s a pretty fun one. And the combat is the highlight of the game - it’s turn based, classic Open Gaming License (OGL) era 3rd edition D&D but with some twists and QoL improvements I really like (for one thing, many spells require “spell materials”, a resource you have to replenish with hard-earned gold in cities or can find as loot, but spells have cool-downs rather than “casts per day” so your early game spell casters are really useful right from the jump, which I love).

LMA features sprites from the same artist that created TOME, and in some ways (animations and flow of combat) it feels almost like a party-based TOME - there is even a Roguelike difficulty option. But I digress, what I wanted to really talk about is Adventure Mode!

So this is what must have been added for it to drop out of Early Access. I’m a little confused as it’s receiving regular patches and is still in the 0.9 version number, but I also don’t see an early access tag in the store any longer.

But Adventure Mode is a little bit of TOME and a little bit of Battle Brothers, with a pinch of Temple of Elemental Evil thrown in. You start off creating a party of characters, or picking some pre-made dudes (there is a decent variety of avatar sprites and portraits to choose from, but there is also a good amount of variety found in the Workshop for more), and you start off washed ashore and in search of your other companions. You quickly find them, and start following the main quest chain. So far, this is largely “accumulate reputation and wealth to continue” and the brunt of the game is actually exploring the world, delving into dungeons, taking various quests in cities and keeps, training skills at Adventure Guilds (this is how you get Open Locks and Disarm Traps, by the way, you will not start with these skills - just a friendly PSA).

In this way the game plays a bit like Battle Brothers - gaining XP, loot & treasure, having fun stomping kobald slingers and dire rats, exploring dungeons (these have their own random map and are very fun so far, with traps and treasure and monster rooms).

I lost almost three hours this morning rolling up a quick party and playing around - we’re nearly level 3 and I’m almost at the point where I can start the next leg of the main quest when I decided to put a pin in it and write something up, as I think (especially for ten bucks) there is enough meat here to easily recommend it. I’m enjoying it very much so far - the combat is fast yet fun and satisfying, everything feels very intuitive (there is a lot of great tool-tip information, from what effects are actively applied to a unit to what a spell or ability does), and it really looks fantastic.

Has anyone else ever picked this up and tooled around with it? I may record some footage of it, just to get something out on my channel, if anyone would be interested.

Also, this topic is similar to Dead Like Me: Life After Death, LIFE-not LIKE, you dumbfucking Japboy-is like a hurricane (this is a topic I may have to check out, wtf), and Are films like District 9 good or bade date films. (The 5th District 9 thread).

I bought it on sale a while back but haven’t tried it yet except for like 5 minutes. Definitely piqued my interest, though.

Thanks for the reminder. I will probably pick it up this week.

What is TOME?

Tales of Maj’Eyal.

https://te4.org/

Formerly Tales of Middle-Earth.

This is still at 0.91.22, and there doesn’t seem to be any kind of announcement anywhere that it left Early Access. The “Early Access” label may not be showing up on Steam, but without 1.0 and some kind of developer announcement, I think it’s still Early Access. (On GOG, it still is labeled as “In Development,” the GOG equivalent of Early Access.)

I mention this in the OP. Not sure what to think.

I’ve had my eye on this for a while. I’ll pick it up next time it hits its historic low.

I understand waiting for a sale if you have other stuff to play, which I’m certain you do, but “historic low” for this is $5, so you only save a fiver. I think it’s worth supporting these guys when they only want ten bills. Just my two cents.

As I’m underemployed I have to be a bit picky about pricing at the moment.

This looks right up my alley, thanks for the write-up, Scott!

Same here, this looks exactly like the kind of game that will make for many quarter to three nights! Thanks!

I got it while back. I was waiting for cool classes to appear.

I read somewhere speculation that the developer had abandoned it. Maybe somewhere in the GoG comments, or something. Not sure.

Yes. It’s mediocre. Or it was the last time I put serious time in it, which wasquite a while ago. Perhaps that’s unfair since it’s incomplete. Having reinstalled it just the other day, a good bit of content has been added which is nice. Skills, crafting, new gear enchants to go along with the latter, gathering of materials for crafting. I think the Barbarian class is new since I last played, but I can’t be 100% sure. The fact that it’s been steadily getting updates is good. But as it stands I don’t feel enough has been added that it has become an interesting game.

It certainly feels like part of that is simply because e.g. there are barely any caster feats, and surely more get added at some point. But who knows for sure.

SO far, it doesn’t feel like there is a ton different from last time in terms of quests. You have to spend some time grinding missions between towns to pick up reputation, which is randomly granted and the whole process is sort of obnoxious. Dungeons are generic, the small change from last time being that you occasionally bump into traps now, or treasure. Quests that send you into dungeons tend to be “go clear this out”. Some dungeons are multi-flored (or were, anyway) but this was more an annoyance than anything. There’s less going on in the dungeons than say Monster’s Den: Godfall. Again, this is possibly because content hasn’t been added yet. But the actual process of grinding up levels is rote.

The skill system is a bit weird.

Also new from l ast time is that the level cap has been raised, if you set it at the start of a campaign. You can go to 30 or 40. Imagining going to 30 or 40 in the game as it stands is . . . unpleasant. I had a party that was somewhere in the vicinity of level 7-9 last time, and I had already grown bored. I remember I killed lots of goblins. Goblins by the thousands. I wouldn’t be surprised if some more monsters had made it in but early on this time and there’s been mostly goblins. So many goblins.

It would be very cool if the game got properly fleshed out. I would not recommend it to anyone before that, though. It’s still more “interesting idea” than “interesting game”.

It has been getting regular updates, the last of which was just a few days ago. Beefy updates, at that.

Ah, good to be corrected on that.

I also bought this months or a year or so ago and it is becoming more and more difficult to not start playing it. This thread will surely not help me continue to defer gratification you know :-P

Lol, for my gaming tastes this reads like . . . . “this cake is like salted caramel chocolate, a little bit of raspberry and blackberry filling, topped with whipped maple syrup flavour cream”