Low Magic Age - ToME-like visuals in a D&D wrapper!

I’ve been tempted several times when it’s been on sale for $5. I just never pulled the trigger.

I wouldn’t hesitate the next time - just to play around with it for an afternoon and have some fun is worth $5, and like I said, they seem intent on putting more and more content in this all the time. I don’t know how big the dev team is (for all I know it’s like 2 guys in a basement) so that might be why it’s taking some time to get things implemented.

I played it before adventure mode, and liked it, but haven’t touched it since. Love hearing it’s coming along, this is definitely something I would get sucked into, jank or no jank. In unrelated news Knights of the Chalice 2’s Kickstarter campaign should be starting up sometime in the next few months, very excited for that as well.

Glad you are enjoying it. This has definitely incentivized me to boot it up again.

Count me the heck in. If not for Divinity 2 Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity 2 (with turn based mode) scratching my turn-based combat party-RPG itch really well I might even reinstall Knights of the Chalice now. Heck, I never completed it.

Played this for around 22 minutes last night. Spent 20 minutes creating a couple of custom characters and editing the portraits/names/avatars of another 4 to put together my party of 6. Spent 1 minute reading through the intro text, and spent my final minute watching my single character (not even one of the ones I created) and an NPC get destroyed by a much more powerful party of monsters that we seem to have spawned right on top of. Like literally I was trapped on a peninsula of land, the monster party was right next to me, and as soon as I clicked to attempt to move they engaged. Boom, dead.

Guess I will try again tonight.

Is there any way to turn off the highly disorienting camera, which centers on projectiles during combat? I tried this for 5 minutes once and that made me go “hell no”

You should suggest that idea to the developers.

I’m kind of hesitant to buy the game mainly because it’s D&D/d20. I’ve tried learning the system several times in the past, and while it has a lot of charm, it’s simply too complex. (Or I’m too dumb.)

Ultimately, d20 is a pretty straightforward system. Add attack roll to d20, compare to AC. Higher? Hit. Lower? Miss. If there is something specific you struggle with, it’s always just a google search away. It’s a simple system to me, but I clicked with it immediately and was around (and gaming on tabletop with a regular group) around when 3rd edition hit, so it’s hard for me to remember a time when I didn’t get it.

Well, that’s true in a post-THAC0 world, at least.

Right, but that’s what the D20 system is - post-THAC0.

Both Low Magic Age, Pathfinder, and Knights of the Chalice are OGL (open gaming license) spin offs. Post THAC0 versions of D&D.

I really wish OGL had taken off with support from WOTC, but I suppose I should be grateful they even tried. What I really want is D&D 4e to be OGL.

Started over again after my ill-fated (60 second) first attempt. The RNG gods were good to me this time and no overpowered monster party was nearby when I initially spawned. I was able to make it up the coastline, hit all the “!” markers, rescue my party members and make it to the city with the Adventurers Guild.

Now I am totally obsessed with this game. Damnit @Scotch_Lufkin!

I really like the way the map exploration feels like Mount & Blade Warband, up to and including the various villages, towns, cities and capitals and the commodities you can trade there. I like that there are so many other locations to be found as well, including, to my surprise, explorible dungeons! Sadly I had not learned the lockpick skill yet, so had to leave behind a bunch of potential loot in the dungeon I cleared out.

Combat is very well done, with charge and flanking bonuses and the ability to use terrain to your advantage. The spell system works well, though my summoner’s elemental seems a little OP in the early going. My only real gripe at this point is that the only characters whom I have total control over leveling are the ones I made myself. I may have to start over again and customize all 6 party members so I can have the OCD control I desire.

So far though I am loving this game. Can’t believe I’ve owned it for more than a year and hadn’t tried it out until I saw this thread!

giphy

I have had my eye on this one for quite a while, and now that they have adventure mode, I’m considering it. I have also never played Tales of May’Eyal and am considering that. Anyone willing to do a comparison of gameplay?

I just watched Scott’s video and I am going to give it a try. It does have that Battle Brothers vibe and the D & D OGL system should be good for some nostalgia. I’m glad I got the tips on the lock pick and detect traps skills ahead of time. Now to find some good anime portraits and build my harem.

What type of party are you all trying?

I started last night and have a Fighter and Rogue so far (need to get those thieving skills as Vic mentioned). Come to think of it, I need to brush up on the rules from this system. Most of my experience seems to be from earlier D&D.

I would think that you would need a cleric and a magic user at the minimum. That summon elemental spell looked like it could tank and draw aggro really well.

The one question I need to look up is how to resupply your magic resource. When Scott ended the video it was in the teens and camping didn’t seem to reset it. I guess you buy it somewhere?

You buy it in the bigger towns just like regular supplies.

I meant the spells mostly. There are so many. And character creation/advancement.