Mad Max: Fury Road

Front and rear wheel drive?

two diggles in, one diggle out! two diggles in, one diggle out!

I’m all for an improvised vehicular aesthetic, but that was my first thought looking at that picture. Two engines sticking out of the hood like that just crosses a line for me.

The problem for me is they are not aligned along the same axis, ie that of the crankshaft. Sticking out of the bonnet does not bother me, but they stick out by different amounts, how are they connected?

Suppose they were limited by the existing Cummins or Detroit hiding under there.

Even though it seems to exist, how can it not be a joke? Does it come with truck nuts built in, standard? Did they really with a straight face (pardon the pun) call this absurd hotrod the “Priapism”, and how few of the nuts with a hard on (sorry again) for it know the name’s origin? If you want one for more than four hours perhaps you should see a doctor.

Or maybe it’s jut one big engine with two carburetors

Max is a cop driving a cop car, an interceptor but still a cop car. Neither of those two cars in that contest looks like a cop car even in today’s world. Sleek is not the look they should be going for with these movies.

The truck is goofy looking. Two engines? Hardcore!

I’d have used two semis, one pulling, one in the back pushing. Inbetween them are two tankers or trailers, hooked together with a hitch that allows free movement. So depending on the speed each semi is going, it’s possible to push the rear tanker one way while the forward semi pulls the lead tanker the other way. Plus, you’d have guys on each tanker turning the wheels as needed. Imagine the crazy action scenes you could get out of that setup.

Maybe thinking about it like this will help…

There is a half of an old car bolted to the top of that truck, so within the context of the film the guy who built that truck clearly likes to bolt shit together and make franken-vehicles. It’s not a stretch to assume the same guy might have thought to bolt more engine bits onto the hood to make it look like it has two engines. That might be a stretch, but there you go. Personally I just don’t worry about the details in movies like this.

Maybe thinking about it like this will help…

It’s Mad Max.

On the semi, you could argue that it is a 12 cylinder and you just couldn’t supercharge all 12 cylinders with a single blower. Or something. IT NEEDS THE DOWNFORCE BRO.

you need at least 60 carburations per second for a 12 cylinder block, so that’s why they need the multi-planar air inductions… duh

Those engines are offset in a way that just makes no sense. They are so close to each other that it would not be possible to fit a transmission to the front engine, and even ignoring that, I see no way how those engines would be connected to two independent differentials, as would be necessary. Those engines would have to sit in a tubular chassis, and be connected to axles with a working suspension. The front engine would have to be turned 180 degrees horizontally, and most important, they need to be synced. I personally know an engineer who built a twin engine car (google for boost beast), and it doesn’t look that way, at all.

The configuration would be correct for two longitudinally mounted engines. Twin V8’s are typically coupled together between the cranks as shown here on the hot rod linked on the previous page. The engines would be timed to fire the same cylinders with harmonics between the engines absorbed by the coupler. Single transmission bolted to the rear engine transferring all power to the reminder of the drivetrain.

Tranversely mounted engines as seen in Boost Beast tend to be mounted separately front and rear as vehicles don’t tend to be wide enough to support them connected crank to crank. Hence they still tend to each have their own transmission and each drive their own axle, which I guess would necessitate the need for careful syncing of engines.

Can’t say that is strictly true for boost beast as some of the links I found seem dead. Also, nothing is gospel, as it is easy enough to find twin V8 configs mounted front and rear or oddly, even side by side.

Anyway, the truck in question was evidently built in Australia, but there is already a well known twin V8 truck over here. They should have just borrowed the Bandag Bullet for the film. They used to pack dry ice around the engine in that thing during burnouts to keep it cool!

Car nerds are cooler than pretty much any other kind of nerd. I wish I was a car nerd.

-Tom

We get all the chicks!

All of them!

Here is your first look at Tom Hardy in Mad Max gear:

Here is the Interceptor:

Looks good. I hope they make it about the cars and the world rather than about Max. We need more mindless awesome these days.

I know what you mean but also Transformers exists; it doesn’t get much more mindless than that. I hope it is an exciting, enjoyable romp underpinned by economic but satisfying characterisation. lol

Also wasn’t loads of the first one all setting up him and his wife and his fairly boring life outside of being an apoco-cop?