Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

Desire to move this up to the top of the backlog is increasing. :D

I have been very surprised at how much I’m loving this one. I started it up as filler until I got Horizon ZD but now I’m really hooked.

You have to assign them the top level districts, and ideally optimally. They (and the game) will tell you what to do, but seriously consider who you’re assigning rackets to in terms of who you want controlling the overall district. Also important to note that your decisions with your underbosses will impact the late story to some degree, but will not lock you out of any of Lincoln’s endings, so don’t worry about that.

I think some car spawning is gated by story progress. There are however locations where specific vehicles will always (re)spawn. Garages, warehouses and the like. They will not be noted on the map except to the extent they may be near collectibles, so it’s up to you to discover them and remember where they are if you want one.

Edit: not one vehicle in particular, but varying by location.

If you don’t divide the territories equally between them (as in, give them all to one) then they will turn against you.

Do car upgrades I purchase (performance upgrades, via the van) apply to all cars I use from vehicle delivery?

Oh and I love the Samsun Opus I found. I assume it’s already tricked out because it out accelerates and handles and has a higher fast speed than cars that are supposed to be better. But since it’s not in the delivery system I can’t mod the color, etc. and it just disappears once in a while.

Yes. IIRC they apply to any car you happen to use.

More things I love about Mafia 3:

In most games of this type, if you’re assigned to go steal a truck full of supplies and bring it back to one of your locations, after you take out all of the people defending it and start driving it back, the entire drive back would be a frantic mess of unending cars of bad guys chasing you, cutting you off, shooting your truck (and eventually destroying it,) etc. Which for me would mean replay after replay after replay of frustration and just trying to get through the mission.

Here once you take everyone out and steal the truck you can drive it back in peace. (Though an 18 wheeler here is an awkward challenge as it is in real life,I can’t back one of these up any better than I could in real life!) Which I like and can justify: I took it from a remote site in the middle of nowhere, I took out everyone there, so the bad guys shouldn’t immediately know it’s been stolen.)

I am puzzled by how empty the sidewalks and streets are in the French Quarter, though.

Sorry to disappoint, but you will get bad guys chasing you every couple of delivery missions. Usually they’ll turn up almost as you’re approaching the racket you’re delivering to, and you should be able to let the friendly guards deal with most, if not all of them. Just concentrate on the delivery itself.

What Sam says, plus, these missions are absolutely worst of the worst, the total videogame design bottom. They are fine to do once or twice, but there are so many and each is exactly the same, I wish the game didn’t have them. So much dumb filler.

Is there a rifle that has better stats than the 30 cal Praecisione (sp) that has a decent ammo capacity? a 60 bullet magazine is very handy in a big fight. When I change to a couple others that seem like better rifles, they seem to have VERY limited mags, like 6 or 10, which just isn’t enough in a big firefight.

Don’t know, but this Wiki might have the answer.

How in the world do you get into the police station in the French Ward to tap that junction box? There are just too many police everywhere. I figured out how to get the one in the police station downtown, there was a path that let me avoid the police then get close and throw a noise maker to avoid the two left, but I don’t see any path for this one.

Use the police favour power from your menu wheel to disable the police response for a short while, then just walk in, hack the junction and walk out.

Duh. Thanks!

I’ve taken over 4 new districts and given them out to my lieutenants, starting an optional mission at this point, and still have a lot of “stuff” to do. Just finished killing the main boss’s brother. I had a hard time with that one, but only escaping: I jumped in the car made available outside but the cops were all over me almost before the car started, and then it wouldn’t go fast enough to outrun them (they stayed on my tail) and when I crashed and ran, I realized that, even if I have a good hiding place and they can’t find me, in spite of being all around me, they won’t give up looking. Third try, I immediately hit the buttons to have my associates call the cops off of me and it worked. It didn’t work once I jumped in the car.

ANYWAY - I was ruminating on why I could never get the love for GTAV the way so many have, and yet I’m loving Mafia 3. My thoughts on that:

1. I can drive somewhat respectably in Mafia 3 which I could never do in GTAV. Don’t know why. Also really like the navigation system in M3.
  2. I really like the manner in which the story is told in Mafia 3, via the stories told years later, the video clips, etc.
  3. Most of all, the writing in Mafia 3 feels adult and mature and thoughtful, (Not sure what the collecting the Playboy mags is doing in here though.) GTAV always felt like it was written by a bunch of kids who were rejected nerds in junior high school and high school and now they had millions of dollars and assets to write a video game. So much of it feels juvenile in the writing and the interactions and the language and it feels targeted at junior high and high school kids. Mafia 3 feels like it was written for adults by adults.

FWIW

I read the Playboys in it for the articles. No, really, there’s a good Kubrick interview there, along with some half-forgotten American political figures.

Actually, they do include some great interviews in some of those in the game, and they are the full, multipage interviews.

Wow. Did the Father James/Bonnie/Anna cult mission. That was really well done, very compelling story.