Mainstream Media

This dude for all news organizations:

I don’t actually trust that there may or may not have been molotovs. Could easily be a plant to shape narrative. We unfortunately don’t know enough.

FYI, thugs beat up a bunch of protesters and randos about an hour north of Hong Kong proper. Apparently 2 pregnant women, one lost the fetus. The really weird thing is cops disappeared and closed up the station right before the attacks. They only showed up after the thugs disappeared.

So, who hired them, and who are these people? Tongs? Mainland private thugs? (they seem to speak canto thought).

If it’s an hour north of the city, it’s going to be close to the border. And Cantonese is widely spoken in Guangdong (aka Canton, back in the day). That said, you’d expect mainlander goons to be Mandarin speakers.

The term Brownshirts comes to mind. There are too many coincidences in reports over the weekend for this to not be either condoned or coordinated by the Chinese mainland government.

Going back to June 3rd, literally everything the guy has reported has mentioned Trump, and he reports for the Europe/World desk. Even a book review, What An NPR Correspondent Learned By Working As A Taxi Driver In Shanghai:

LANGFITT: Yes, because I’ve actually been on the phone with some of them. And this character that I talked to, she feels people understand the trade war, but they feel that Huawei is really being targeted, and people do feel that that is unfair.

I also had a conversation with another character who surprised me, and he said - and there are a small minority in China who feel this way - that, actually, they like the trade war. They feel that the pressure that President Trump is putting on the regime is good because they feel the regime is very repressive. So it also speaks, I think, to the wide variety of views now that, if you talk to people in China, it’s - there’s tremendous diversity of opinion.

He seems … fixated.

Man, that tweet from NPR is terrible. Can anyone think of another larger-than-life populist who focused on immigration and restoring his nation’s standing in the world?

Oh man that would have been amazing!

In fact, every time they talk about the forced deportations they should bring up Population transfer in the Soviet Union - Wikipedia

Presumably that’s the gag.

Then the Nice Polite Republican who wrote the headline pats himself on the back about how I really snuck a good one in there, that’ll show 'em!

Much like how Maggie Haberman assures herself that she’s a crusading muckracker because she sometimes quotes anonymous White House staffers as saying Trump can sometimes be a little difficult.

Obstructed justice? Check
Welcomed interference from an adversarial foreign government? Check
Susceptible to blackmail? Check
Racist, bigoted scum? Check.

But apparently 2016 was just a warm up.

Editorial director for digital, Politico:

I like how the media is too afraid to draw any comparisons between what has happened in the past weeks in Puerto Rico with what is happening in America. In PR:

• The majority of the people were unhappy with the governor’s (and other government officials) blatant corruption
  • They were unhappy with his (in)actions in regard to serving their recovery needs post-Maria
  • They were unhappy with the things he was saying both officially and unofficially (social media)
  • They protested en masse, peacefully, and kept at it, even when threatened with force

The result, he resigned, along with the Lt. Governor and several others, and there will likely be special elections held to replace them, hopefully putting Puerto Rico back on the track to recovery.

That’s how you get results, that is how Democracy is done.

I have been thinking about protests and when leaders step down. How do protests work? When does it work and when does it not?

Korea, President Park, check.
Puerto Rico, check. Because there’s elections?
Phillipines, Marcos, check.
China/Hong Kong. Nope, not gonna happen because it’s a bad example to make people think they have a choice.
Ukraine, orange revolution? The eastern guy went away and the Western oligarchs took over.
Trump, never. Dude even said he’d stay after losing an election.

Does it only work sometimes because the people with power tell their puppet to fuck off so another puppet comes along with slightly different policies?

How about South Africa and India? Do those count as the leader Stepping down?

I think it works when the people in power are smart enough to recognize that they’re not going to be able to stay in their position without destabilizing the entire nation to the point where their power would then be meaningless or severely limited in benefit anyway. In a banana republic, You vs. The Rebels sounds like a great way to crush your opposition and solidify your power. In a developed nation, civil war is something to be avoided at all costs.

The problem is that the orange asshole in charge right now is not smart enough to recognize that destabilizing the most powerful nation on the planet so your ego can continue to be catered to is the absolute worst fucking decision in the history of bad decisions, so it’s unlikely protests would result in his resignation.

What IS likely is that mass protests would result in the rest of the government attempting to avoid destabilization by throwing the orange asshole under the bus…by impeachment, indictment or both.

If you view it as a fight for power between corporations and government, and an arch-corporatist has taken over, it makes sense that he is trying to disempower the government and it’s oversight role. In addition to benefiting himself and his allies immediately, it also makes it easier to profit even after they lose control of the executive. Which nation benefits or is hurt is not important to him.

I think this might be missing a key point:
Rosselló had no support.

trump has the entire Republican party plus the right wing media propaganda network.

True. However, if faced with mass protests and the very real possibility of losing a whole bunch of Congressional seats to the angry mobs come election day, the Republicans would throw Trump under the bus. His base would howl and gnash their teeth, but what are they going to do realistically? They aren’t going to vote for a damn Lib, so they’ll vote for whomever the GOP puts up in Trump’s wake.

And that’s how Devin Nunes became President in 2024 kids.

Thread.

This media?

Yeah, good luck with that.

“Well, of course, that must be all Fox,” you say. But if you follow the link you’ll see it applies to a lesser extent to CNN and MSNBC as well.

The irony of course is that by historical and international peer-group standards, our current government is run by a far-right regime.

I suspect a big chunk of the result stems from GOP guests, rather than anchors or correspondents, calling anyone more liberal than Reagan far-left. But even if so, the point is that you’re not seeing “both sides do it” - nobody on cable news is calling the Trump administration what it is: far-right.