March 8, 2022, Apple Event

Seconded.

This one didn’t entice me, but I’m very much looking forward to reading about both of your experiences. Have fun!

I don’t get this complaint. There’s always going to be a market for the highest-end machine with the best specs, and a 120Hz display is fantastic to use. The iPad Pro makes out at 2TB of storage (instead of 256GB), has two rear cameras instead of one, and has a USB-C connector that supports Thunderbolt. And it’s only $150 more, not $200 more. (The $799 iPad Pro is 128GB while the $599 iPad Air has 64GB.)

Plus you’re comparing the just-released iPad Air with the year-old iPad Pro. The iPad Pro will probably get bumped later this year to the M2 or whatever and the difference between the two will be wider.

Hmm, my credit card was charged today. My delivery was originally March 30th, but hopefully this is a sign of an even earlier delivery since I don’t think Apple charges before they are almost ready to ship.

If only there existed a way to play Lost Ark on an M1! I could pretty much stop using Windows for the most part because all of the other games I play either already work (WoW, Out of the Park Baseball) or should in the future (TW3). Well, I guess Elden Ring doesn’t but I haven’t started that yet.

Interesting, no charge on my card yet, and my expected date is March 18-22,

Hmm, I can get $775 for my M1 mac through SellYourMac

Is that more than what you’d get trading it in with Apple? I’ve always read that Apple offers the best trade-in values, is that no longer true?

Apple does not offer the best value on trade-ins, far from it, but they do make it very easy and low-risk to do. The alternative is boxing it up and selling on eBay where the policies strongly favor the buyer or meeting some rando off Craigslist at a Starbucks.

What games other than WoW run as Universal apps with M1 native versions? I am fearing the day that Rosetta stops working, and I’ve already run into 12.3 issues with some games that use 2.7 python.

There are a couple, but it isn’t a big list, and major names aren’t represented. Don’t buy a mac to game.

https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/M1_native_compatible_games_list

I recently got a free unlimited data line with T-Mobile that I don’t have a phone for. The T-Mobile reps told me that I could easily plop the sim into an iPad and use it that way, except I have an Wifi-only Mini 6.

I was thinking about trading it in to Apple to get a WiFi+cell version, except Apple’s trade-in system doesn’t include the Mini 6. I guess it’s too new. When I say “other” they tell me it’s time to recycle.

So I may have to settle with meeting rando at a police station.

Honestly it’s so trivially easy to pair an iPad with an iPhone’s hotspot that I personally wouldn’t bother, I’d just put the SIM in the drawer.

I would definitely pay the extra $100 or whatever to get cell access on a new device, but I wouldn’t bother replacing one, to be clear.

Oh, I know.

FFXIV is the main one I play on a Mac that I don’t have any hopes for. 12.3 breaks its Python launcher. Fortunately, there is a 3rd party launcher that works.

I may just get FFXIV for my PS and call it a day.

It easy to use an iPad with the phone’s hotspot, but it is a bit of a pain. Back when I had to go to an office I would set up my iPad next to my work computer. I would check my iPad occasionally to check twitter, look at my calendar etc. I would have to renew the hotspot connection constantly throughout the day. It usually doesn’t take long to connect, but I wouldn’t want to do use a hotspot on a regular basis.

Yes, I am only getting $440 from Apple.

Wow, that seems really low. I’ll keep that in mind when I’m ready to trade in my M1 MBA.

Studio Display is compatible with the following iPad models running iPadOS 15.4 or later:2

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch
  • iPad Air (5th generation)

Appears that the 5k LG Ultrafine is officially dead at Apple. I will need to take great care of the one I own because $2k for an Apple monitor is even beyond my wants and/or desires.

So I bought a Studio. Ships next month. This would be my first Mac.

It’s a replacement for my home-built office PC, which is about 6 years old (6700K, GTX 980TI, 32MB). It’s OK, but getting flakier. Used to be a work/gaming PC, but now just work (Adobe CC mostly). It was frustrating me to the point where I almost impulsively bought a Mac Mini a few weeks ago, but thank goodness I didn’t as the specs for the Studio seem much more robust.

I could build a desktop PC for cheaper that is just as powerful or more so, but I like the idea of the simple, fire-and-forget nature of the Studio. Ideally it lasts me a good 5 years or more.

Still hemming and hawing on the $$$ and whether it’s the way to go.

On a purely objective value for money scale it absolutely isn’t, but if you care about it “just working” and lasting 5+ years and aren’t price-sensitive the studio is a defensible choice.

I would still buy a macbook pro 14" with the M1 Pro unless your work really benefits from all those CPU and GPU cores. Even the M1 Max is huuuuuge overkill for most uses, and the M1 Ultra takes that and doubles it.

When you buy a laptop you get a built-in UPS, display, keyboard, and trackpad. Even if you use it 99% of the time plugged-in to a dock on your desk, that last 1% you can take it out on the porch with a cup of coffee, or bring it on trips to grandma’s house, or whatever.

Good point! Although getting a Macbook Pro spec’d to 1TB SSD and 32GB and adding a third-party dock is something on the order of $1000 more than the Studio. And laptops, in my experience, just don’t have the longevity of a desktop.

And as much as I’d like to be productive on a laptop, I just flounder without my ultrawide.