March 8, 2022, Apple Event

I had to step away for a few mins - no Macbook Air announce?

No Mac other than the Studio.

Roger that - I wonder if that’s something they’ll release during back-to-school season in June-ish.

Yeah, the Air could get a new design then.

I am curious about the fate of the 13" Pro.

What size SSD?

Edit: I hate to say it because it’s obscene, but I got the 4gb SSD. I need the space and I want a computer that is going to last awhile.

Yeah, it is ridiculous. For the base price on the ultra you could a massively tricked out pc from someone like Origin. I would love to try it out, but I’m not dropping $4k+ on a mac.

If you’re a video editor or artist or something, someone who needs the fastest mac possible, you’re the market for the studio. But what you really want is the next mac pro or (if portability matters) the macbook pro. So it’s a stopgap. I just don’t get why this product exists.

But hey, it’s Apple, maybe they’ll sell millions of 'em. Just not to me, if I was going to spend that kind of money on a mac I’d get a macbook pro 14" with the M1 pro and 1TB storage for $2200. Not quite as fast, but you also get a built-in UPS, display, keyboard, and trackpad.

Also, wow, the $2k studio only comes with 512GB of storage. In 2022.

They should have released a M1 Pro Studio for $1299. That would have been an interesting product.

Mac forum people seem impressed with it. For me, I was willing to spend $3000-4000 on my next iMac. I see this as a good replacement, and it’s even better because I don’t have to replace the monitor when I decide I do want a new computer.

Of course I don’t need it, but my MBP did make a huge improvement with Lightroom Classic, and this computer will do that and have no issues driving two 27” displays.

Why would you choose the studio over a macbook pro and an external monitor or two? Did you go with the M1 Ultra?

No, I bought the base model with a big SSD (which I kind of regret).

I am doing the MBP as a desktop now, I like having a second screen, but I am working with external drives and I have cables everywhere. This setup was my stopgap until new iMacs arrived, but this replaces the iMac.

So just get a thunderbolt dock, they’re like $200. One cable charges your laptop and connects to everything.

I have a dock, I would rather have a desktop. I am not looking to save money, I am buying what I want.

I got a 2TB SSD.

Alright then, enjoy!

The only reason I work is to buy stupid shit I don’t need.

No, I totally get it, didn’t mean to come across as being dismissive. Buy what you actually want.

If you’re like me and don’t want to connect and reconnect your laptop in a docking situation, the mini/studio makes perfect sense. I already have a 16 GB M1 Pro laptop and I come very close to using all of my 16 GB memory on the mini on any given day. I would have preferred an M1 Max 32GB in a mini, but I knew that Apple would try and squeeze a few more dollars out of me.

But this officially ends my computer purchases for a year or more. As long as they stop screwing around with my productivity software, I am content.

I will take that bet. ;-)

Nah, this was the last piece of the puzzle. Very happy with all of my other computers (Mac and Windows).

I fully expect this computer to last awhile. I won’t need the M2, the M1 line already fast enough for everything I do (unless big name games start coming out for it).

Next year I will need to update my PC, but I am dreading that, I hate PC shopping/building. But that is another thread.