Mario Galaxy 2

Taking a quick break from MG2 to post and see who else here picked it up today. I love the interactive 2.5D storybook intro and riding around with Yoshii is really slick, I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Back to the faceship!

Amazon says that my order is shipping soon which is a good sign. I replayed a little bit of MG1 last week to refresh myself.

I’m picking this up in about an hour. I’m worried I made a little mistake: I replayed MG1 through all 120 stars over the last two weeks. Hoping I’m not burnt out/MG2 is fresh enough to combat that.

Don’t worry, I doubt playing through Metal Gear would burn you out on Super Mario Galaxy.

LOL BECAUSE THEY USE THE SAME TWO LETTERS!!

I’m on this day one, which is Thursday for me.

Oh sweet, Metal Gear 2 is on Virtual Console now. Great game, I’ll definitely play that again.

In the meantime, I’m loving Galaxy 2. Launching from one planet to the next in a spinny star thing never gets old. I also like that Mario does a jumping dismount from Yoshii, that it can be done in mid-air and that you can spin after it for even more distance. Should come in handy at some point.

Oh, and the spin flip galaxy is the coolest! I haven’t played Galaxy in a while, did they have one of those there? It’s this level with a lot of red and blue panels but only one color of panels is active at a time and it switches every time you do a spin move. I was hopping back and forth between red and blue just to watch the chomps fall through. Good times, good times.

Knocked out the 1st two worlds, with the help of my 2 boys (6 and 9) manning co-star duties (at least when they remember instead of being mesmerized by the main gameplay).

LOVING IT. I like the first, but this feels like an even nicer, more polished, more interesting version of the same core experience. Like SMG1 I may eventually be defeated by the difficulty curve when trying to unlock every last star, but that won’t stop me from trying.

It’s interesting that they went old school with the level select path oppose to the standard hub world. Although I guess they still technically have a hub world with the Faceship. I’m only the second Yoshi World.

My wife, who is not a gamer, has been bugging me to pick up a Wii so she can use Wii Fit. Up to now, I’ve had zero interest in this platform, but I’ve heard that Galaxy 2 is the type of game that warrants a system purchase. Any input? Also, any other can’t-miss Wii exclusives?

It just depends if you like what kind of game Mario Galaxy 2 is. If you like and appreciate platformers, then you’ll love Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

Does anyone else make platformers of this caliber? In this day and age the only platformers I play anymore have the word Mario in them and for good reason. You never get burned out on the same platforming because they are constantly changing the environments, obstacles, enemies, mechanics with every Star objective.

Yep. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time is one. The previous one was not of this caliber though, so you could say that Insomniac doesn’t consistently make them of that caliber. But maybe Crack in Time was their first one, and from now on they’ll be of this caliber?

It’s been a while, but the Sly Cooper games are on par in many ways. As far as this generation goes, though, the Galaxy games are top of the heap.

Yeah I’m more interested in seeing a new Sly or other platformer from Sucker Punch than an Infamous sequel.

Same here forge, the Jak series was also pretty good last gen. One of my favorites was Kya Dark lineage for the Ps2.

My copy shipped yesterday and I should hopefully have it tomorrow .

• No More Heroes is a must play IMO, but it’s coming to the 360.
  • Boom Blox is a good for non-gamer-inclusive multiplayer. I recommend the second one (“Bash Party”) for non-rectangular block types and free downloadable levels.
  • ExciteBots is a good lighthearted arcade racer. My kids didn’t quite warm up to Mario Kart, but they love this. Downside: only 2 players max splitscreen.
  • Yeah, Yeah, Mario Kart.
  • Yeah, Yeah, Smash Brothers.

The Wii is a meatspace multiplayer beast. You’ll note that all of the above (and SMG1/2) have multiplayer and/or coop, excepting No More Heroes.

Note: you might want to wait before buying a bunch of extra Wiimotes; there’s been signs that a new version of the Wiimote is coming out that will include the Motion Plus addon.

New Super Mario Bros. It’s pretty much the only video game my wife has ever wanted to play on a regular basis. I think she likes it more than I do.

Damn game is so tempting. But I’ll suck at it as much as I sucked at the other one.

Was checking reviews of Super Mario Galaxy 2. Perfect 10 at GameSpot, Eurogamer, IGN…

Hot Damn. What games has gotten 10’s at all three of those before?