Marvel Midnight Suns: Firaxis unveils the Nico vs. Chthon showdown Marvel fans have been waiting for!

I wonder is it the normal high school setting? We all relate to High School and being a teen but not so much a hero that has been sleeping for centuries. The interactions, go to Arcade, etc make sense in their context vs Magical Abbey.

Well, Marvel approached the Firaxis Team, right? So it was for that team and what they wanted (my thinking is that there is some outside influence). Card Combat makes total sense in that it brings the art to the foreground where straight tactical combat wouldnt and so on.

I think that when we fast travel we are missing out on grabbing more ingredients? Not sure how the collecting aspect works? Do Wolfsbane etc replenish on the paths?

Question about the light and dark dialog choices - am I gimping myself if I pick a non-dark . light option? Like, the more you pick one, the better cards you get? Here is my particular example early in the game, talking with The Caretaker:

Caretaker: I know the others still harbor a great deal of resentment towards me for it.
Light-So you simply gave up on her?
Dark-You made the right choice.
Neither: I don’t envy your position.

The “I don’t envy your position is the choice I want”, but iif I should be filling up some light or dark meter, then I don’t want to miss the opportunity for that. I don’t think the game discussed how that works yet.

I had to restart a mission and 2K launcher interfered with my save function. UGH

It fixed itself after restarting the game.

Unfortunately I had a problem with Fanatical in that I got an Epic Key rather than the Steam key. So I am not sure how to get around the 2k launcher when using Epic.

@robc04

I was wondering about the light vs dark choices too but do not think we were presented with a choice yet (that scene only explained it will be coming soon)? I could have misunderstood. I am thinking it will be Healing/Buff type skills vs Combat skills?

I thought we would have different versions of our MC to take on missions depending on who we choose in out three person teams? Sometimes he may need to be support and others Damage Dealer? Switch this out with card decks or something.

You can do it the oldschool way by creating a shortcut then pointing that shortcut to the actual game .exe (shown above, just wherever it is on your computer).

Yeah. IIRC, Epic doesn’t inject any drm into the process. Or at least, I’ve never had an issue directly launching the exe for any game I’ve bought from there. Don’t need to have the client running at all.

I should be the target audience. I have over two thousand hours playing the various XCOMs and clones since Laser Squad and was a big Marvel comic fan in my youth. I have hundreds of hours in Slay the Spire and still play MtG with friends.

But I got to about 90 minutes playing and felt it wasn’t respecting my time. There is too much busy work for the various systems and too little meat. I too returned it and may revisit it again on something like Gamepass or a big sale.

I don’t really notice any dialog like that.

I like it and how it mirrors the lore in the MCU, but clearly takes inspiration from a comic storyline. I mean, how do you characterize a Marvel fan? Hundreds of millions of people have seen the films. Seems like there’s enough interest to support a video game adaptation of this sort. I guess I’m saying this game was made for someone like me? I’m not a deep strategy game player and I like compelling comic book stories. It scratches the same itch-I-didn’t-know-I-had that Guardians of the Galaxy did.

It might help to just make a first order assumption that anyone you meet is a Marvel fan. We’re not Martians.

I tried using this per the suggestions:
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Marvel’s Midnight Suns\MidnightSuns\Binaries\Win64\MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe" %command%

However, the launch still opens the 2K screen. I will have to fiddle with it more maybe I have the wrong exe file.

Go to the directory that you are trying to point to there. Left Click and make a shortcut of MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe. Drag the new shortcut from where it is to your desktop (or wherever) and rename it to Midnight Suns.

I’m on an X and it’s running great.

Hey, there’s a ton of evangelical Christians too! Doesn’t mean I know what they’re thinking! ;)

Anyway, Marvel Snap really walked me to right up to the door of almost wanting to start investigating this mythos. It does such a great job of just hinting at character traits through gameplay. That’s right, character traits in a CCG!

Is it too much? I’m worried it might be too much.

This whole post is a really weird take, IMO. How about some developers got the chance to make a hybrid RPG/tactical/card game with Marvel characters and thought “this could be really fun and cool!”

I mean the question doesn’t make sense. Who is Assassin’s Creed Odyssey for? Using the logic above, people who like RPG’s will play it anyway, and fans of the Odyssey won’t care. So why combine the two? Or what about Cyberpunk 2077? Same logic.

The fact is developers and gamers like games that use familiar and/or interesting worlds/characters. It gives them a base to start with. They like to create and play stories in those worlds.

It’s justaguy2, who also already refunded the game and is back here to talk more about it and follow the thread for some reason after realizing (and announcing) that the game is just not for him…just let him be.

You might have a meeting with Midnight Sun HR.

@justaguy, I’m going to say this because I spent a good bit of yesterday goofing on this game with you: you really should give it another chance, because it’s for you.

The cruft is easy enough to skip over once you see where it is and what it’s doing. Given how much I know you loved the design of Into the Breach, and given that you seem willing to tolerate Persona 5’s idiosyncrasies, this game is for YOU. Even if it doesn’t have Into the Breach’s muscular emphasis on gameplay over Midnight Sun’s misguided emphasis on supposedly AAA production values. Even if it doesn’t have Persona’s presentation or energy. It still has a lot what those games have.

Also, I would hate to repeat the Phoenix Point situation, where you get some wild burr under your saddle about a game that you refuse to play, yet you still insist on calcifying your opinion about it based on bad or incomplete information! Which is certainly your prerogative, but it would be nice to be able to talk with you about Midnight Suns instead of against you. :) And this thread would be a better place for it.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I’ll just repeat that this game is for you and you should get further into it to see what it’s doing before relegating it to your hate pile!

For someone who has 100s of hours in the XCom games, how is this game? The steam reviews are pretty bad.