Marvel Midnight Suns: Firaxis unveils the Nico vs. Chthon showdown Marvel fans have been waiting for!

I’d say go for it. She’s into you. You should invite her to that haven you discovered in the forest on the Abbey grounds. Who knows what could happen…

I wasn’t going to start playing this, but for some reason I dreamed about it all night - which is odd as I played God of War all night. No idea. But what struck me was when I woke up my first thought was “why doesn’t Iron Man design an Iron Suit for each hero on the team that synergizes with their powers and abilities, like he did for Spider-man?” and then as I drifted back to sleep I dreamed I posed that very question here, and the replies were “dude, he does that play the game!” so I woke up for some reason certain that question would be answered by playing it. Of course, by the time I got out of bed I was fully awake and knew that never happened, so I played an hour more of Ragnarok and had a great time, yet after was compellted to launch Midnight Suns after all.

I’m glad I did - the game seems really super good so far, though I’m enjoying the dialog, cutscenes, writing, and voice work more than most probably will, and it runs at a rock solid 60fps on Epic settings (probably thanks to bypassing the 2k launcher, I have never played without that fix in place). But so far I’m super happy with it. Also, Matt Mercer!!

I just completed what for me was the first ‘difficult’ mission, and there was a definite Into the Breach feel to that one. Not as puzzly as ItB, but there was a similar requirement to set up plays as efficiently as possible.

I don’t care about the Marvel characters, really (although I certainly did as a teenager), but so far I do like this game. The combat is more interesting than I was expecting, so kudos.

I am enjoying the game when I think of it as an RPG with tactical card based combat. It is a lot of fun using your hand to try and take out as many baduns as you can. I have to decide do I use this turn to take out the weak henchmen or do I whittle down some of the elites all the while knowing that there will always be enemy reinforcements.

I like the protection element they added as it changes the scenario above. Personally I feel that all tactics type games can feel puzzley but the card combat actually lessens this a lot as mitigating a card draw is a huge factor against puzzleyness.

I continue to get One Star on every mission even when I felt I kicked butt that battle. That is fine I will worrry about stars on a second play through.

I do hope the Dev team learns that more combat and shorter spurts of dialogue would feel better. I think Persona 5 reflects a better balance of this aspect of a game with two parts. I do like the Abbey but please dont make me run around so much. I do not like the distance I have to travel; If you have a lot of dialogue less running would help speed it up.

Anyone playing this on a console? How is it there?

I’ll echo and add more questions. Anyone have input on PS5 versus PC (2080ti) versions? Is the console version just as detailed? Any cool PS5 controller stuff? Is the game meant to be played with a mouse?

I can give you some information, but not provide first hand experience. I’ve been reading that console versions run great, I assume due to not having a broken 2K launcher to contend with. I CAN say the controller feels great - especially walking around the Abby.

I have been playing M/KB and it is fine (meaning the controls dont seem like they were added as an afterthought to a controller type design).

My one gripe is that the Continue button seems to need to be clicked, I wish the space or E key would work when they pop up.

I am on XBoxX, and it handles perfectly. I doubt there is any noticeable difference between console and PC in how it plays. I doubt a mouse adds anything.

How difficult is it to move your character with the controller? I was thinking of switching to Controller (I been using it in Tactics Ogre but I could see the mouse being better at this one aspect in MSuns (but my controller skills are subpar so that might only be me).

Move in combat? It’s trivial. Above in this thread, I compared the console version of this to the XCOM games, which I have finished on both PC and console, and found no noticeable advantage for PC. If console is your preferred mode, you can play this one on that platform with no worries. (Again, XBox for me, I doubt PS5 is any different)

I’m on PS5 and I concur. No control issues at all.

You can fast travel using the map.

Oh that is game changing! Thx!

The base difficulty is quite easygoing, by design (and there is one below that). They wanted the game to be easily approachable to even Marvel fans that were new to tactical games.

Continue button? What’s the context?

And yeah, fast travel unlocks after a few hours. I think the same popup where it says you may freely explore the abbey now.

Is that the One X or Series X?

You get fast travel after a bit and outside of exploring where things are the first time, this clears up a lot of the hoofing it. Dumb they just didn’t let you do it out of the gate.

Series X. It may be fine on One X as well, but I can’t speak to that. (I have a One X, not currently hooked up)

I think Vesper posted above that he’s playing this on Series S, no issues. Fwiw.

The game is Series only, can’t play on Xbox One or One X as far as I know.

You know, this is really interesting. I’m loving P5. And yet, it has a ton of words, which are not particularly well-written or well-translated. Somehow, I’m still into the characters. Why is that? Is it because they’re all flawed (to some extent) and have nuance (to some extent)? As opposed to the seemingly endless parade of “LOOK AT HOW COOL THIS GUY IS” in Marvel Midnight Suns?

Also – who is Marvel Midnight Suns for? It’s clear that non-Marvel fans are playing in spite of the license. Which is no big deal. If I like the gameplay, I’ll play a game about the Smurfs. So, that makes sense.

But I’m curious, are hardcore Marvel fans all like, “YES! This is exactly what I wanted! Superhero dorm simulation with some combat sprinkled in! Also, YES! the characterizations and writing are totally on-point!”

I don’t know what Marvel fans are thinking (about literally anything), but my guess is they would be nonplussed by this game.

Anyway, just some things I’m thinking about

There are points in the game where a Continue Button Appears, probably in the Abbey after something significant (I will try and grab a pic next time it happens). Maybe the right mouse button will work.