Marvel Midnight Suns: Firaxis unveils the Nico vs. Chthon showdown Marvel fans have been waiting for!

I have 4 heroes at Max Friendship level and all research is done.

I hope this game has met with huge success not only with gamers but Marvel as well. As others have stated above in the thread I would love to see expansions with stories including the Xmen, New Mutants, Fantastic Four, why they could do a spooky version with Werewolf by Night.

Maybe even Star Wars!

Max friendship is actually not max. It can keep going and supposedly the benefits persist in New Game+

Probably more of a “me” issue than a “Midnight Suns” issue, but I was finally beaten by all the superfriends padding. I really like the combat and I’ve been thinking about battles, combos, characters, enemies, and upgrades, but I just don’t have it in me to wade through all the juvenile dorm drama. Every time I consider booting it back up, the prospect of walking around the abbey and having to power through a dozen dialogues drives me to something else instead, something that doesn’t shunt me through the trappings of a JRPG.

So I wouldn’t say I’ve “fallen off a cliff” so much as me and Captain Marvel are seeing other people now. It was an amicable split.

I wondered how you had a couple at level 5 yesterday since I thought you were just ahead of me in the story (I hadn’t done the Sanctum mission yet). But now I realize you’ve done way more side missions.

How are you doing with keys? With 10+ legendary chests in the map, I’m running low. I also think I might have exhausted all available palettes for the moment, since the last few chests I opened only had an item or cash/gloss.

I can definitely see how this could happen. There are times when my Hunter gets up in the morning–fully clothed, of course, and totally unmussed!–only to be bombarded with a stream of social media and text messages. Then, while strolling around the Abbey, I see a sea of “talk to me!” markers and break out in a cold sweat over the prospect of running that gauntlet.

On the whole though–and this is very unusual for me–I am finding the dorm drama stuff enjoyable. Part of might be that, having never seen the movies and not really being familiar with the comics either, none of the superheroes come with pre-existing expectations. I don’t even really know much about Iron Man or Spider Man. The voice acting is good, for someone like me at least who has nothing against which to judge it. And the writing is IMO a cut or so above the usual for this sort of thing.

But yeah, I have to take breaks pretty often.

Many/most of those conversations are optional. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe because I’m bouncing between this, God of War and Tactics Ogre but I’m still super excited by my time in this.

Also it is indeed a huge game - 50 Story missions could be right, given I only just hit Act II after almost 30 hours of play just now. The story missions are a lot of fun, but I may have over powered myself doing the non-story stuff too much, as I’m already playing Legendary cards at this point. Oops.

I have been really enjoying the out-of-combat stuff though, talking to these characters and each having their own story/quest line has been really entertaining, and each is tied to research and upgrades that have, every time so far, been worth the investment.

I get what you’re saying, but the game flow is clearly set up to walk you through all that stuff, and there are Friendship Points to be earned and passives to be unlocked and economic tendrils threaded through it all and gameplay boosts here and bonuses there. It’s all so very “optional”!

One of the things I’d been meaning to do is to start a playthrough on one of the higher heroic difficulties and just see how quickly I could get from battle to battle. I might still give that a shot, just as an exercise. To find out how intrusive all this “optional” stuff is, really?

And, of course, I was enjoying the combat enough that I’ll probably try to pick up my playthrough again to see it through. But it would be sooooo much harder to quit playing Midnight Suns if it didn’t have all that comic book buddies stuff.

Pretty sure that’s intended, though I don’t think I’m using any yet. There’s still a lot to do, though, in terms of power, since the new card system (marked?) is just coming online at this point.

The conversations are, largely, optional in a technical sense. That is, you don’t absolutely have to do most of them. You will be missing out on a huge part of the game, though, and weakening your combat abilities of your team if you do skip them. I rather like the system here. All of the convos and clubs and hangouts and havens add up to both a richer narrative experience and tangible combat benefits.

I mean, what’s the incentive to tear through the missions? It’s pretty much the story–and the conversation stuff makes the story really work. The missions you go on feel a lot more meaningful, even the non-story ones, if the heroes you take are a bit more fleshed out. At least for me that’s been true.

My only thing is that I am one of those folks who when I see indicators on a map/UI telling me to go get a shiny or talk to someone, I feel compelled to do it. So there is a lot of near-overload of stuff here. But overall I dig it a lot.

@Misguided
I seem to have enough keys to match the times rare, epic, legendary refill.

@tomchick
I feel that there is a lot less conversations happening as the game advances. I noticed that certain aspects have died out like what ever happened to the Shop, or Emo Kids club etc. I do agree that if they make a sequel they need to tone down the Abbey a bit and put more on Missions (maybe the option of two missions per day with different teams yields more stuff etc).

@Scotch_Lufkin
What difficulty are you playing at? I am on normal but I would think if you feel you Overpowered yourself a bit than with 8 difficulty levels hopefully you can balance it out for your continued enjoyment.

On the PC you can slam through cut scenes and conversations in seconds thanks to mashing the ESC key, if you want the benefits without the actual experience, LOL.

That said - I do fine the character focused plot pretty engaging. I mean - that Surprise Birthday party was better than the LOTR Prequel series in terms of character development :)

As @rhamorim and @Grifman said earlier in this thread, Midnight Suns isn’t just a superhero game, but a comic book game. All the little stories, suns & avengers trying to work together, struggling with the loss of different characters, Strange and the things he is dealing with (trying to avoid spoilers), just the general struggle that comes with fighting to prevent an apocalypse…

All those things help create a richer experience. Without all that stuff, it would just be a superhero game.

on top of that, I know a few people said they are really digging the game and don’t consider themselves fans of the comic genre. I can definitely say if you are enjoying any of the story stuff, you probably ARE a comic fan and just need to find a series or two you can enjoy. ridiculous variety available across the board.

Oh, it’s not that I feel over powered (I probably am a little, but Normal feels a shade on the easy (but satisfying) side while Heroic I felt a shade on the frustrating side, though I never had problems clearing missions on it I don’t care about Gloss enough to feel obligated to play on higher difficulties).

Normal difficulty has felt to me very satisfying, but I DO have to actually plan things out and try, it’s not like I can play whatever and succeed. I’ve frequently pulled off 2 star ratings, which feels to me about right. The story missions are a bit easier, I think, because I’m way ahead of the curve. What I was asking for wasn’t about being over the power curve, but rather - I feel like I’m going to run out of fun new mechanics and cool new cards to play with well before I’m at the final part of the story. Having already started getting Legendary cards and maxing out two of my allies relationship and unlocked their Legendary card and outfit, I worry I’m running out of road when it comes to unlocking new and fun toys to play with.

It’s the format that I don’t get into. Comics are expensive, for the short pieces you get, and episodic, which I don’t have the patience for. I can do graphic novel type stuff but again, damn things is pricey.

I solved that problem with a sub to Marvel Unlimited - my son and I can read all the comics we want, entire runs archived and easy to read even on my phone - I’ve probably gotten more value out of it this year than any other digital service I’ve subscribed to.

True, but it is “max” in the sense that you get your Legendary Card and Skin (well the Challenge mission for the Legendary Card to be more specific)

Well I can’t seem to get this to run and I’m not sure I have any interest in fighting to make it run. I might be below the minimum requirements: my CPU and video card are above minimum (Geforce 1060) but I only have 3GB of video RAM and I get a consistent crash on finishing the tutorial and loading whatever comes after the first Lilith cut scene. I’ve tried the obvious steps of updating video drivers and turning down the settings to minimum.

I’m pretty frustrated. I think this one is going for a refund.

The more I play it, the more I like it. It’s easily in my top 5 games of 2022. I’m having such a great time that I’ve been playing it almost exclusively, which is kind of a rare thing for me.