Marvel Studios' Black Widow - But I thought she was..?

Honestly we pay $15 a ticket at the theater. If even it was just my wife and I (it would in reality be four of us) that’s a decent deal given the option to watch when we want and pause it as needed. Since all four if my family members love MCU stuff, $30 is a no brainer.

Don’t use logic and maths at me. This is about an emotional reaction to a $30 movie rental.

Yes taking the kids to AMC to see Avengers cost me $80 after tickets and concessions. Popsecret and soda from Wegmans is 99 cents.

Going to the movies is an event. You meet your friends or date, get your $20 tickets, your overpriced popcorn and drink, then sit down to watch on a gigantic screen with dozens of other people in the audience. There’s a huge experiential difference between that and renting a movie at home.

It’s the difference between paying $17 for a fancy cocktail at a crowded sceney bar surrounded by women in tight dresses and getting a $17 takeout drink in a plastic cup wrapped in saran wrap. Yeah, the same booze is going in your gut, but really-- fuck that.

It would sit better with me at $20 or $25, but even then it’s a stretch.

Fortunately, here in OK they are opening up vaccines to EVERYONE this week, but all the people in my close circle and household have already had their first dose, and I have my second dose tomorrow, so I’m thinking by July, I just might venture out to the theater for this one.

If for any reason I feel otherwise, yeah, I’ll pay extra for this one, but I’ll grumble about it. (Yes, that’s how they win. I know.)

Our household will be fully vaccinated in about a month, so I think we’ll also be ready to brave a theater again at that point.

Maybe this belongs in a COVID specific thread, but I feel like once we’re vaccinated, there’s nothing we won’t feel comfortable doing (movies! restaurant dining indoors! air travel!), although we also agree it’s still going to be important to adhere to whatever safety restrictions are in place for our activities (masks, distancing, etc.) for anything public, because we still want to show support for that knowing the vaccine still isn’t out there for everyone.

Right. And they say you can probably still be a carrier, so don’t wanna further the spread, but once me and mine are vaccinated, I’ll totally hit a theater, with proper safety measures of course.

Black Widow will be the perfect “back to the theater” movie for me, I think.

Ditto here, Murph. I’ll be butt-in-seat day 1 for this one. Maybe even at the local Alamo, if the vulture capitalists haven’t picked its corpse clean/removed the cookie trio from the menu by that point.

Depends on prevalence in your locale and variants, really. If your area’s case numbers and positivity rate are low and we don’t start seeing news stories about how variants evade the vaccines, then you can pretty much do whatever you want. Feel free to ask a hooker to spit in your mouth.

Amateur stusser can’t even get someone to spit in his mouth without paying!

Technically the homeless will do it for free, but they appreciate a donation afterwards. I prefer an honest up-front transaction.

So, how does Premiere Access work? Once you’ve paid for it, can you only watch the movie once (or within a limited time window) or does it then become a part of your regular D+ library?

Part of your regular D+ library. You can buy Premier Access to a given title for $30 anywhere from launch till 1 month before it hits the regular D+ tier. Doing so lets you watch it as many times as you’d like during its Premier-exclusive window. After the window expires (seems like 90 days generally), everyone subscribing to D+ can watch it, including those who bought the “early access.”

If your D+ sub lapses, you lose access to it, along with all the other regular content, unless/until you re-subscribe.

Well, at least that sounds way better than regular rentals. I stopped renting movies after a couple of times when I couldn’t watch it during the designated watching period (I think you only get a week, and if you start watching it, you only get 48hrs to finish it). The 48hrs is just really harsh, I usually can’t finish movies that fast.

But you retain permanent rental rights* after you pay the $30, such a good deal!

Bleh. Anyhow it’s 3 months post premium release that it goes on the regular service.

*as long as your sub is current

Yeah, sort of. I mean it’s tied to your account but it’s not really yours, or at least less yours than if it were an MVA title… you know the service Disney itself pushes but seems to want to whistle past now.

If you want to buy-to-own Black Widow (probably for $19.99) that option will still be available after the theatrical window ends. Nothing has changed other than that window is getting shorter and shorter.

Having more options to consume content is good. If you don’t like the Premier Access concept (I don’t), just don’t do it.

Yeah except, MVA is Disney’s service. So they want people to spend 30 dollars on Premiere Access to prop their sub service, sort of, which of course isn’t really encouraging their MVA service which is still lacking several studios. I wonder what the others are going to do… maybe not do MVA, pimp their sub services instead and tack on some sort of premium sort of buy a movie too and that puts us right back to the everything is fractured, nothing is convenient, pirate the shit out of everything because it’s easier Knightmare we had before.

The problem with anything MCU is you can’t use the internet without spoilers. I guarantee that 32 minutes after Black Widow hits Disney+ there will be a Screencrush video in my Youtube feed about “121 Easter Eggs You Missed in Black Widow (Return of Captain America?!?)” or some such spoilery bullshit.

I don’t even like Screencrush’s videos. I hate the guy. Youtube keeps trying to make me watch them.

We paid for Raya. So far 17 people have watched it on my account, some of them more than once. I wouldn’t do it for every film, but for a fun family friendly one during COVID? I judge it worth it.