Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

If you’re interested in learning more about M.O.D.O.K. (and really, why wouldn’t you be??), he has an animated series coming to Hulu in 2021:

And there is a really fun fight against him in Avengers. No, the other one.

So - How do you level up your characters? Are the trial thingies giving xp? Also if you lose the trial? My characters are level 12, and feeling its a bit hard at times already. Also, I want to try out all the various heroes… ALL OF THEM! But, they are all too low level to swap out.

By playing the game!

You can jump into any chapter you’ve already unlocked with any set of characters and you won’t lose any progress. You can do the trails, and the gauntlets, and the danger room stuff. You can feed your characters those little xp pellets you find. You can bring a low level character with a higher level team. Tons of ways to level up your dudes!

-Tom

There are also experience shards you’ll get incidentally (I can’t for the life of me remember what they’re called or what specifically awards them) that you can apply to a character to level them up faster. They’re not SUPER plentiful, but I usually always had enough that I could get a new character roughly up with my others if I wanted to try a new one.

Edit: I see Tom mentioned this already, reading is hard, my life is obsoleted, etc

Thanks! I didn’t know about taking characters through previous chapters. I am playing on Mighty, since the game suggested this, and its doable, but I do fail a lot. The game is really fun and interesting though! Not opened up any danger room or gauntlet yet, though.

Hugs! Not at all!

One big tip. Try to pour all your XP bonuses into one character and make that character permanent for the campaign. It will make the game much more enjoyable. It’s not needed of course but it will smooth out your grind.

Also, this is a great game to play with someone. My son (8) and I spend over 100 hours in it and got everyone to max.

ohh - that is a good tip! My GF actually asked how it worked in Coop - Does it work well enough then?

I kinda have selected Spider-Gwen as my character and swaps out others regularely - now level 19!

I have never player this with other people, so I’m curious to hear the answer as well. How hard is it to coordinate combo attacks? Does it get awkward trying to swap to different characters? If you’re playing locally, you’re of course all leveling up characters on one account, right? How does it work if you play online? Are people importing their characters? If not, are they leveling up a character on their account as well?

-Tom

It works really well in couch coop. Occasional camera issues but there is a learning curve. Really fun though. If you need to power level I can give you some tips.

1. Not hard at all, there is more than enough time plus there an onscreen button prompt. For instance if I do Ms. Marvel’s ‘Giant Foot Spinny Thing’, my son will see the button ‘Eyes Wide Open’ flash if he’s in range.
  2. Nope, that’s the best part about couch coop. You can talk it out. The difference is instead of switching to 3 other characters you only can switch to 2. We usually indicate our backup character beforehand but it usually goes out the window when we are losing lol.
  3. We never tried online. Never seem to work for us and with our limited playtime we didn’t want to sit in the lobby waiting. From what I understand each group brings their account and their character.

Just finished the main story. I’m torn between enjoying the huge variety of playable characters and all the mannerisms & references to the movie characters and situations, and not enjoying the moment to moment combat gameplay or upgrade system. I don’t mind the skill upgrades, but the ISO-8 and Alliance Enhancement systems are slogs. I’ve never been a fan of upgrade trees that force players to grind out dozens or hundreds of individual small % upgrades one at a time, and this game didn’t change that for me.

Basically I like the presentation and the effort to bring all these heroes to the game, but not a fan of the action itself. I feel like at its heart this game is a crappy little 90s beat-em-up wrapped in in a warm blanket of some modern design sensibilities and lots of love.

I only have 4 high level heroes (Grax, Gamora, Starguy, and Crystal), since they’re all I played, but I don’t feel like running through everything again (or grinding rifts) for all the others.

Stuff xp pellets into their mouths!

-Tom

Knowing I might not want to go though again, and also wanting to finish the story with little fuss, I took all my unused pellets (basically all I ever collected) and fed them to my main, Grax. I leveled him up from 40 to 54 just before the final fight(s) and then breezed through them.

I’m positive I can earn tons more, and if I go through again it will be with 4 new characters.

I’m still on the fence about going back for rifts and such. I had just finished the game after playing all day when I wrote that last night, and I think I was feeling more burned out on it at that moment than I otherwise would be starting off fresh. A day later and I’m already wanting to try a few new heroes.

I’m sad that you can’t even get your main’s name right. You stuffed all those xp pellets into his mouth and you still don’t know his name. :(

-Tom

And to think I was actually embarassed I couldn’t remember Starlord’s name last night, seeing as how he’s the star of the movies and all that. It didn’t even occur to me I had Drax wrong this whole time.

So I’ve had this for a while now and played off and on only recently made it a way in and am now a chapter 5 I think. Attlatin or whatever Inhuman-berg is called. I’d read you mention that you can go back to any previous chapters to try and find the rifts and stuff I’d missed. It sure seems like they wanted you to go back and play in previously completed areas. But every time I tried this I saw

with big fucking red letters saying I’m about to lose my story progress. So every time I stopped and just played on with my story and never went back to earlier areas. After this thread was recently bumped I read about going to previous chapters yet again and again stopped at the Big Fucking Red Warning. After a bit of hesitation I finally reread it and thought maybe i can get back to my most recent Shield point too. And so now I’m going back to try and get some of the things I’d missed. And yes, I can even get to my most furthest along story point back in Attlatin.

Dear game, don’t warn me like that!!! Fuckers.

Ugh, yeah, that is really misleading. I can’t tell if they just mean “progress since the last checkpoint” or “progress in the sense of you’re going to be backing up to an earlier point in the storyline so you’ll have to jump ahead to your previous checkpoint if you want to pick up where you’d left off”.

I guess they didn’t expect people to think of the story as discrete levels separated by cutscenes? Which is odd because that’s exactly what it is.

-Tom

A random question about Captain America in the comics, just to feed my curiosity.

Two days ago I started playing Captain America so I could level him up to 20 and complete a solo rift mission with his name on it. While playing through other missions I noticed that one of his Synergy attacks (his default X power that lets him block with his shield) will allow another hero in the party to shoot a beam/gun at his shield while Captain America reflects the beam/bullets towards enemies and mows them down.

If I remember correctly, this same move was done in Avengers 1, with Iron Man lasering Captain America’s shield while Captain America deflected the beam in an arc, wiping out a bunch of enemies.

I’m curious if this is a move he used in the comics (or maybe cartoons) before Avengers 1 came out.

I’m pretty sure this ability appeared in one of the earlier Marvel Ultimate Alliances. I remember seeing that moment in the movie and thinking, “Hey, that’s from that game I played!”

I just completed my third run-through of the base campaign. I played with different heroes each time and currently have 12 of my 34 unlocked heroes leveled up to 40~58. I played through the campaign once on Friendly and twice through on Mighty (and did lots of rifts with my first two teams so far), but except for damage output and sponginess of enemies, I can’t tell the difference as far as experience, money, or loot awards are concerned.

I’ve been unlocking various heroes to figure out the which ones I like best for an eventual Superior run. Hopefully, Superior difficulty will have better ISO loot. Currently I’m dropping basic ISOs in hero slots but I haven’t yet had to upgrade or craft any at all in order to succeed just yet.

Right now my teams are composed with the exact same strategy in mind: One hero that excels at Stagger, one hero that excels at single target damage output, and two other random heroes that are around the same level as the first two. I haven’t had a reason to change this up just yet, but figure that will be more important as I tackle higher level rifts in the future.

The heroes I’ve played so far:
Drax 58 (Mained)
Gamora 48
Star-Lord 48
Crystal 48

Captain America 48 (Mained)
Wolverine 42
Luke Cage 42
Ms. Marvel 41

Captain Marvel 40 (Mained)
Iron Man 40
Hulk 40
Spider-man 40

I’ve had no early biases or preferences for certain heroes (Except for Blade, all my favorites are DC anyway), and only selected these guys because the first team was the default (except I swapped out Groot), and all the others were the lowest available levels when I selected them (6 or 7). After I level up all the tiny guys I can work on the ones that start off at higher levels.

My favorite campaign map so far is the Black Panther map, with the jungles and tomb. It has my favorite enemies, and except for the laser-cat run, it has the fewest annoying ground obstacles (like mazes, traps, or ooze geysers etc). I also like the enemy composition and densities here. Those snipers can pack quite a punch if you don’t take care of them, and the area denial guys make certain battles iffy.

As for rifts, my favorites are the Rush/Wave trials, with my least favorite being boss fights. I don’t enjoy scripted boss fights in most games, so there’s nothing new there.