Marvel's Avengers - Square Enix, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal

Microtransactions are, and will be, purely cosmetic.

Source: I run comms for Crystal Dynamics.

I’m generally going to stay out of this discussion though.

Thanks!

Is anyone here actually looking forward to this? I can’t put my finger on why none of the trailers or footage of the game looks appealing to me at all. Is it simply down to the fact that the characters look so different from the movies? That can’t be the only reason, surely?

I was super excited, until they gave Xbox players the finger. Now I will not pay for it. I’ll do the single player if it ever hits Gamepass or I find it in a bargin bin for $4.99.

I’m tempted. On the fence for reviews.

I’ve still got too many characters to level up in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Including Spider-Man, thankyouverymuch. The guys in this game can get in line.

-Tom

I’m definitely interested, but, as always, will wait for release, and evaluate reviews along with backlog. I haven’t even evaluated the game properly to see if I think I’d enjoy it. I didn’t do too well with the Ultimate Alliance games, but loved Spider Man.

However, if the MP reviews are solid at launch, I may dive in early for that - Avengers Assemble!. Torn on platform as I have a PS4 Pro (with no subscriptions - not sure if I’d need or desire one for this) and an XB1X with Game Pass Ultimate, and a lot more friends for MP on xBox.

I’ll give the beta a go. This was a stupid property to use to try and make a Destiny-style game, though.

Man PA has been bad for a while but that’s not even an original take.
Article on last years trailer for instance
https://www.newsweek.com/fans-blast-fake-avengers-new-square-enix-game-trailer-these-look-like-cheap-dollar-store-versions-1443302

Fans Blast ‘Fake’ Avengers in New Square Enix Game: ‘These Look Like Cheap Dollar Store Versions’

I super mega like the way The Incredible Hulk looks, but I spent far too long trying to figure out who the hell Black Widow was in some gameplay video. She’s not a super memorable movie character for me.

I have no more issue with generic looking Avengers in this game than I do with generic looking characters in Injustice 2.

Maybe we live in a world where the Avengers movies are too popular for their own good, and they’re spoiling the rest of the brand if it doesn’t align perfectly with what’s been on screen.

They should have just used the likenesses of the voice actors they got. All of them would have looked fine in the roles without giving that “fake person” feeling.

“Ugh, I got awesome super powers with no obvious downsides, I sure hope someone comes up with a cure to make me normal.”

Anyhoo some quick impressions, PS4 has a really annoying bug at the moment causing No Internet Connection to pop up and pause the game constantly. Combat feels a bit sloppy. Characters definitely look off, in a way that’s beyond them just not looking like the movies, can’t put my finger on it.

I watched a little bit of Shroud playing it just now and it really did nothing for me. It seems like another boring Diablo-like thing that you’re only playing so you can walk around as these Marvel characters.

That’s wouldn’t necessarily worked. The voice actors might not look anything close to the characters. They hired them for their voices not their looks.

I’ve seen them. They all would work for their characters. Nolan North would look fine as Tony. Troy Baker would make a fine Banner. Even Travis Willingham would make a good Thor.

It still wouldn’t matter. Unless someone goes and looks them up online, which very few would ever do, people will never know what they look like. And they never were the Avengers in the movies, just showing their picture with their voice and putting that into the game would not solve the problem. Rogert Downey Jr is Tony Stark, Chris Evans is Captain America, etc. They would have been better off hiring voice actors that could impersonate/mimic the original voices or just ponying up the money and getting the originals in the game.

Beta impression of the game:

Before you can play, you have to link the game to your Square Enix account. The game tells me I must use an email associated with an account. I enter it. The game tells me I must use an email associated with an account. I enter it. Etc.

Uninstalled.

Hahahaha. This was my exact experience with a Final Fantasy MMO on the PS4 with stupid Square Enix.

If anyone else wants to see if they can make it go, they just send me a second so I can play with a friend. Heh. Given the above post, I will not be playing with you. It’s nothing personal :)

First come, first keyed (wierd formatting in case of scrapers but probably unnecessary):

FEMECA

dash

dash

FOMEWU

dash