Marvel's Iron Fist - Netflix

Sorry, could you explain this idiom? I thought milk-fed means you’re big and strong because you drank milk?

Milk-fed like a veal calf. Weak, undeveloped, unused to hardship or labor.

Ah! Thank you.

That said, I liked Coleen A LOT more than I did Rand. All of gurugeorge’s comments about Rand are dead-on: the character is unbelievable AND unlikeable.

All of the other Netflix/Marvel characters are appealing in some way or another, even if it’s just the feeling of a car wreck that you can’t look away from. Rand is just lame.

Seven episodes into this and just bored. I can’t express how badly I wish this had ludicrously sick wire-fu choreography, characters that interested me at all (they just offed the one I sorta loved to hate, dammit), or even just better music (not that the noodly 80s synth thing is bad; it just fits weird).

Ugh :(

I’m also exactly 7 episodes in, and was also disappointed with that “offing” – I’d hoped this show would gradually draw me in more, but it actually seems to be getting worse.

Aside from the poor action, lack of notable villain and general rushed nature of the show, the characterizations are inconsistent and wildly vary. Danny is initially an almost simple-minded hippy do-gooder (almost like a Steve Rogers figure who is out of his environment) and that’s completely dropped as he seems to have no issues integrating into the setting, and goes from wanting to take responsibility for bad things happening despite a lack of evidence of causation…to actively working with hardened criminals who machine gun his enemies??? Suddenly he’s fine and dandy with murder and mayhem like the Punisher?? Similarly, Ward (who has clearly been the most interesting character in the show up this point, at least before his meltdown) goes from a very in control, calculating corporate executive who has a secret ally to going completely insane in just a few hours.

And other stuff that’s just needlessly goofy – would it really be too much to ask for them, if they’re going to do a season so focused around a corporation, to at least try to understand corporate governance and not get everything completely wrong (tl:dr version: danny rand as shareholder would have zero direct control over decision making at all). Same with the offensively stupid “cage fighting” scenes - both those aspects just seem like they were written by someone who knew nothing about business or corporations or MMA, but hated them to a core and had some absurd funhouse mirror evil version of them in mind.

I watched this, and was kept entertained. But my suspension of disbelief was broken repeatedly by both the awfulness of the Danny Rand actor, and the poor writing. What I like about the other Marvel TV shows based on old comics, is that they have been modernised and made believable in the modern context. The writing in this one… it just seemed in denial or naive.

This seemed appropriate! Still not managed to get into this, it’s a shame because i love powerman&iron fist from when i was knee high to a grasshopper!

Re: the comic - I don’t get it?

The Luke Cagey guy, “Slur”, bashes baddies with ethnically appropriate but politically incorrect onomatopoeia. Racial Slurs.

@Djscman what he said with his fancy words!

If still not clear pay attention to the sound effects and how they might tie into each enemy he’s fighting.

Not my favourite PBF by a long chalk, but i thought it tied in well with the furore surrounding the whole cultural appropriation thing. Which was always going to be an issue when you’re using 70s era characters and not adjusting them for modern sensibilities!

Huh. I’ll be damned, it was actually less amusing than I had previously assumed! Impressive.

I think the humor comes from the awful casting of Danny in the TV series. He’s the quintessential “cracker.”

It’s PBF. It generally works better on a lower-than-surface level.

So I finished this and can definitively state that I wish I had those thirteen hours of my life back.

It wasn’t HORRIBLE by any stretch. I just should have spent that time on any one of several more important things…

The only good thing after watching 8 Eps of Iron Fist is I have a new lower-bound with which to gauge TV show quality.

A few months later some new show can come out and we can all say “It’s worse than Iron Fist”, and we’ll all know to avoid it.

edit: I’m now curious what psychological insight Netflix will glean from viewership data - how bad does something have to be and for how long before people will stop watching?

I’m pretty much in the same boat. I just finished up season 1, and …

is a nice way to put it. Were it any worse, I wouldn’t have bothered continuing to the end. I kept hoping it would pick up, as some characters hinted at being interesting in a way that perhaps the show would finally evolve into something good right around the corner. That never happened.

As Danny Rand was a fairly unlikeable protagonist (to all show-runners, “dark and troubled” != “acts like a petulant preteen with anger management issues”), the Meachums were the focus of the show for me. I could almost appreciate them, but then the idiocy of the situation would take firm hold.

Ah, well. The next seasons of Marvel shows will start to fill in on Netflix over the next month or so.

This show would have been a complete waste for me without Ward. I liked the actor and his character, along with his progression. I can’t say I have ever sympathized with a bully before, so I appreciated that.

The End however was f’ing terrible. Harold goes toe to toe with the Iron Fist? Come on. Really? Ug. So bad.

If you liked him in this I heartily recommend checking out Banshee, where he turns up a couple seasons in as a reformed neo-Nazi who’s hired as a sheriff’s deputy as part of his attempt to make amends for his previous beliefs and actions.

Thanks, I’ll have to check it out, QT3 thread seems to have a positive verdict of pulpy but fun.