Marvel's Iron Fist - Netflix

Just as long as you’re cool with T&A and rough, violent fights…

Strike Back has even more gunshooting. Lots and lots of fun shooting.

[quote=“Gendal, post:158, topic:77818”]
a complete waste for me without Ward
[/quote]Agreed - best character by far, and yeah, it’s weird to sympathize with a bully, but he made that part work.

Interesting; I’ll check that out, too.

Yeah, I just got through it as well. It really was just sort of pointless to lame, although there were some things I liked - mainly Madame Gow and related Hand mysteries. I guess I should have expected it to be this weak given the showrunner, but I still hoped for a few more Marvel nuggets for the fans. The silly licensing terms that dont even allow them to refer to Marvel movie characters by name, or to events in the movies other than “the incident” in Avengers 1, are disappointing. Why constrain official licensees like that?

The ending really was terrible, and agree that Ward was by far the most interesting character (although I hated his addict arc). I liked Harold too, at least until the end.

Yes, I was quite happy they cheated their way out of that one with a magical cure.

Don’t expect the actor playing Ward to show up on the first 2 seasons.

Season 2 is official, and they’re changing showrunners:

Never seen Sleepy Hollow or Falling Skies, so no idea if Raven is an improvement from Buck, but I guess I’m cautiously relieved that they’re at least trying something different.

The first season of Sleepy Hollow was great fun. After that…well.

I also really have no idea what to make of a “showrunner’s” influence. Nobody knew what a showrunner was until the golden age of prestige TV blah blah blah, so while I can pretty easily ascribe credit to the big names behind lauded cable dramas (The Sopranos/Chase, The Wire/Simon, Mad Men/Weiner, etc.), I don’t really know how much weight to give someone for being the showrunner on a network thing where I imagine there’s less control involved.

They are the show basically. Allot of the times the creator, while also the head writer, executive producer etc.

So is season 1 worth watching for a fan of Jessica Henwick? Is she only in some episodes, is she a minor character or does she get alot of scenes, etc.?

Asking for a friend…

She’s a main character. In all of the episodes, for a good chunk of the scenes. And she’ s probably one of the best things about an otherwise excrable show.

All this is true. Still not sure I’d say she makes the show worth it, but that will vary from person to person.

I don’t think this is entirely true. Comedies have typically had a lead writer / producer who takes the role of show runner in providing the voice of the show. Just look at Norman Lear, or Roseanne, or more recently, somebody like Tina Fey on 30 Rock.

It’s just the terminology, and extension to serialized dramas that have a distinct voice apart from a comedic voice, that seem new.

Even on networks with network oversight, the producer can make a huge difference.

She didn’t in my case. I am well known to be an unabashedly big Marvel fan and I only just managed to force myself through the final two Iron Fist episodes. I did this because The Defenders is coming. It was that, not Henwick’s martial arts talents and Lululemon sports gear that got me through it.

I don’t know what Lululemon means. Is that another word for “tight”?

It’s a brand of sports clothes best known for tight yoga pants. So yes.

I’m about to start episode 10, but I figured I would go ahead and give my thoughts. I know where the show ends - Rand heading back to K’un-Lun.

That makes this all so much more painful. The co-opting of various other Immortal Weapons (I thought one besides the gal was sort of a generic Prince of Orphans/Brother of Dogs stand in, although they don’t name him such) as sub-bosses in the Challenge against the hand is sort of a nice microcosm of how much this show missed the boat. If you’re going to wind up back in the capital of heaven, why the hell are you wasting this stuff? Davos’ arc seems possible (at least so far, he seems really hell bent on killing Danny which is where he was at the start of the Brubaker/Fraction run). They’ve hinted at the idea that while the Immortal Iron Fist is something of a champion, maybe the masters of K’un-Lun are actually a bunch of assholes who are misusing him. But instead of building on all of this interesting stuff, we’re just sort of meandering through and tossing out occasional references to the much superior source material (at least when Brubraker and Fraction were on it). Alas.

I don’t hate it. Weirdly, it’s the least “draggy” of the Marvel series (out of Jessica Jones 1, Daredevil 1&2, and Luke Cage 1) so far. But that doesn’t matter as much because it’s so thoroughly mediocre. It has moments, and I agree with Desslock that I rather like Gow and all the Hand mysteries in this. But it’s sort of shambled from “Rand wants back into the company” to “Harold stuff” to “what happened to the Rands” to “Ward’s got a drug problem because of daddy issues” to “what exactly is the Hand up to”. The corporate goings on are especially uninteresting at this point in the season. It’s great Danny wants the company to be moral but now he’s got bigger fish to fry and so that just sort of passes by the wayside. Also, the board wouldn’t do what they did to Ward and Joy because Danny could just come back and completely undo it as majority shareholder but never mind (if they could get him to show up for anything. . . lol).

Danny sort of bumbling through the middle episodes without any clear plan other than “dur Hand bad” wasn’t great either.

The good is Gow, Hand, Ward (. . . mostly), some nice Claire Temple stuff (who has gotten some nice development across 3 shows now), and Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing. Who is welcome to as many hours of my life as she wants. The good cannot outweigh the mediocrity, alas. The show can’t fully decide what it wants to be (it’s not even sure if Danny is supposed to be on the “learn to be a hero” journey or not). It’s unfortunate especially because of what the show could be.

I didn’t think any of the other Immortal Weapons had shown up (unless Gao is Crane Woman or whatever, as has been theorized at various points) but I guess you’re right that the spider lady is credited as the Bride of Nine Spiders. I’m guessing they’ll play a much more prominent role in the return to K’un Lun if they plan to run with them at all, though. FWIW, they’re not classic characters - the Brubaker/Fraction run was their debut - so it’s not like they sidelined Iron Fist’s main nemesis or anything.

[quote=“malkav11, post:179, topic:77818, full:true”]
I didn’t think any of the other Immortal Weapons had shown up (unless Gao is Crane Woman or whatever, as has been theorized at various points) but I guess you’re right that the spider lady is credited as the Bride of Nine Spiders. [/quote]

Right, which was just lazy and served no purpose (the crediting of that character). Why call her anything at all? The other dudes didn’t get fancy names even in the credits.

Yeah I know. But I quite like the characters just like I love that tournament (at least as far as it gets, because you know). The Prince of Orphans v Davos match (especially after all the taunting the Iron Fist gets because of you know what). Just so good.

This all reminds me: I love Hoon Lee from Banshee and him as the Thunderer seems great but Liu Kung is not the dick he was protrayed as in that particular episode (again, in Brubaker/Fraction) and that makes me worried their going to transfer some of the Yu Ti into that character. Pls no.

Oh, I might have mistaken Davos torturing that poor food cart vendor by throwing origami foil shrikens at his head as “Davos really wants to kill Danny, so that part is intact at least”. Or if he does he’s hiding it so far.

I think I want to re-read the Brubaker now.