Mass Effect 3

DragonPup Approves (+20)

So it’s one year away. I repeat: woot!

Yeah, this looks like it’ll be a pretty satisfying conclusion, but that teaser is really misleading considering how corridor-heavy or environmentally-enclosed previous ME games have been.

(Unless it is an open-world game in alien-infested London, which it probably is not considering the quick development time.)

How is there anything misleading about it? It’s a snapshot of what’s happening on Earth, and it ends with Shepard in space. Clearly the game is not about the invasion of London.

(Unless it is an open-world game in alien-infested London, which it probably is not considering the quick development time.)

And also probably is not considering that is not in any fucking way a logical thing to think Mass Effect 3 could possibly be.

Modern Warfare 3 will be a text adventure. You heard it here first.

Dragon Age 3 will be a Denerim dating sim. You have 30 days!

Yeah the trailer is completely misleading. That’s not how the actual game really looks??? Talk about a ripoff.

— Alan

So good to hear the original opening theme again.

Pretty sure I saw the Tardis in there somewhere.

At first I thought the trailer was for a new IP, it was so different in tone from ME1 and ME2. I’m very interested to see where it’s going to go. It’ll be pretty ridiculous if both ME3 and Skyrim release close together. I’d love it if ME3 could make it out in October to give me time to go through it before Skyrim comes out.

It would be terrific if the various publishers managed to stagger the releases, for sure. I love to play the new shiny as much as the next guy but absolutely nothing will impinge on my ME3 time until I’ve finished it 2 or 3 times.

Just dinking around looking at comments on other boards - over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun the comments section there’s speculation that the narrator of the trailer is Jason Statham. Listening again, I can kind of hear it but not really sure. Then again, folks at GAF are saying Hugo Strange’s voice in the Arkham City trailer is Christopher Lee, which doesn’t sound right at all, so it’s really all speculation anyway.

I’ve rewatched this a couple of times, just trying to see if I can tell what figure is sniped in the ME3 trailer. Kind of looks like a geth, but that wouldn’t make much sense considering the way ME2 turned out. Probably a clever bit of misdirection at this point similar to Shepherd’s KIA status in the ME2 teaser.

The sniped creature is a husk.

I don’t think that’s Statham but with the vagaries of recording, who knows? I hope the game doesn’t start out with the Reaver attack on Earth, though. I liked the narrative breathing room you get to explore/do side quests in the second game and the slow up-spin towards the endgame in the first.

Although, I guess if Reavers only kill 7 million a week, it would give you some time to go scan some planets in the Hawking Eta, right? 2 million the first day doesn’t sound like there are too many sentient killing machines of death, or they aren’t trying too hard.

The tone was similar to this ME1 trailer, as opposed to some of the idiotic trailers we saw for ME2 and Dragon Age (maybe that was just a phase and they outgrew it).

Has there been any indication if ME3 will stick with the (massively) simplified skill and gear systems of ME2, or will it return to something more in line with ME1? (This is an actual question, I’m not trolling the people who liked the changes in ME2, I just haven’t followed ME3’s development at all so I have no idea what they’ve said so far).

I liked this one.

According to things Lead Developer Casey Hudson has said, the complaints regarding the simplification of the skill system (not so sure about gear) were heard and plans are to beef it back up.

And there was rejoicing from on high!

That is great news.

Fantastic! Now if the gear is made more meaningful, I’ll be really happy. ME1 was a more complex game than the sequel–the combination of more/deeper powers and lots of gear led to a wide range of tactical choices that the second game really lacked.

That’s not Jason Statham.