Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

I think I recovered 2 crew? Liked it well enough up to that point. I remember the doctor with the plague area and then archangel. I just don’t play console games much these days.

Because it isn’t? The game consists of gathering the party and then just ended. The game I was looking forward to didn’t exist.

It ended with exactly what it set up, a suicide mission. Considering the party members and their stories were the best part of the ME series I had no problem spending time building the team.

Talk about a disappointing pay off, I’m not sure you can point the finger at ME2 when ME3 exists.

I enjoyed ME2… a lot. It’s way up there on my list. I am a RPG player though whereas FPS titles are rare in my library.

I played far more ME3 multiplayer than single player, it also got my hopes up for Dragon Age multi which then was shattered.

Well difference of opinion and all that. ME 2 being a disappointment doesn’t mean three wasn’t. I felt that three at least had some very cool story beats and moments. The ending was weak but it felt more coherent to me. ME2 was collection of individual non-linked stories chained together with a ludicrous boss fight at the end. But hey, I am not telling you how to have proper fun. If you liked it great, I just didn’t. And as we all are airing our hopes for Andromeda that is mine.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I liked ME1 the best. My memories may be flawed since it has been a long time since I played it, but the world and story seemed much better in ME1. I think I also liked the powers a bit better as well.

Well, you are not alone at least, 1 is definitely my favorite as well, including the planets and the mako.

The world building and universe from 1 are the best. The music is also so gloriously atmospheric space opera.

2 has some of the best moments and companions. Mordin and his loyalty quest? One of the best narrative moments in gaming. No, not just mass effect, but gaming period. It was a glorious payoff for a part of the lore that was seeded in 1 and payed off in spades in 2.

It is a mixed bag to me. The formal plot is worse by many measures, and it does some violence to the world building conceit from the first game that had been so carefully crafted. But the short mini arcs are often better written and much more engaging.

But, still, 1 is the one I have played more than any other in the series, and if I were pressed, I would pick it as my favorite. Because it is the kind of cerebral sci fi setting I want more of.

Yeah, the original is my favorite as well. I loved exploring in the Mako, and the last act of the game is one of the best action sequences I’ve ever seen in an RPG, for sure. The Witcher 3 also tried a big set piece like that, but it was nowhere in the same league for me in terms of impact compared to the sequence in Mass Effect.

ME1 is my second favorite. I found the world building to be a bit too Star Trek for my taste while ME2 dropped a nice dollop of Star Wars that I appreciated.

Completely agree about the Mordin quest line.

Plus I just hated the cookie cutter exploration in ME1, seemed so superfluous and shattered the immersion when you see the exact same layout for the umpteenth time.

Totally agree. The planets and looking up at the stars really helped immerse me.

Derp.

YES. Why did they abandon that?

Totally agree on this, music was best in first game.

But one of the best soundtracks for a sci-fi/space opera game was from the first Colony Wars game: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCD1B75C56036303E

I think they may regret aging down the team. Who is going to believe that tween disarmed a Turian? She still has her baby fat!

Release date announced. March 21 in NA, March 23 in Europe.

That’s pretty soon. Much sooner than I expected given what was shown.

Do you think that’s a good or bad sign?