Mass Effect: Character class on first run through?

I rolled up a female marine. More like cast iron bitch, is how I’m playing her. Lots of points going into intimidate, so I can whip out the “Can it soldier, we’re doing this by the book” stuff.

Not only that but the sections he worked on were generally the best parts of the game (Ch 2 in NWN, Ch 1 in SoU, Critical Path in HotU, etc).

By the book is… not so much what Intimidate is used for. In fact, a lot of the time, it’s not even intimidating. It sure is fun, though.

Playing as a Vanguard, liking it decently so far, although I have to try to use biotics more.

I just realized that the game hasn’t actually explained what biotics are. I know what they are because I read the book, but I’m surprised they don’t explain it in the game.

They explain it in the codex, and conversations with your first Biotic also explain most of it.

I played a “mage” (councilor? I forget the names) in KotR 1 and 2 so I started with an adept here, but I only barely made it through the prologue. This got me worried about what was to come so I rerolled as a vanguard (couldn’t bring myself to give up whirlwhind-I mean lift) and I had a much easier time, finishing the prologue with 4 heal packs instead of 0.

I am on the 4th major plot point (so about 12 hours into the game). Playing the default Shepherd (soldier). Have assault rifles maxed along with a bunch of other skills. I haven’t seen any reason to switch weapons really. Assault rifle, especially with overkill, cleans house. When that doesn’t work grenades do the rest.

I have a tech type in my party and biotic type. Biotic at mid to high skill rating are pretty awesome and I let the AI go to town with her powers rarely taking control. The engineer type is pretty good vs. robot types. However I get the feeling I could pretty much solo the game with my soldier if I wanted to using purely brute force.

The weapon upgrades are a little silly to me as well. For example I haven’t seen anything better than hammerhead ammo which adds +25% damage to base damage. I don’t have any reason to equip shredder (+25% vs. living) or AP (25% vs. robots). No ammo upgrade seems to matter except hammer-head – DOT ammo? Why? Things die so fast it makes no difference. I also don’t see any use for the pistol and shotgun if you can use assault rifle. And I only really had a few encounters where a sniper rifle was useful. However the AI seems to be able to ID you instantly and shoot you down from any range even if you cant shoot them with an assault rifle. Its easier to just charge in with the AK47.

I found a similar trend with the gun-slot upgrade. Nothing beats the accuracy related upgrade (except possibly a heat one which I yet to see – if it exists). All the other upgrades have pros and series cons. While accuracy is good for everything.

Is there some sort of federal regulation I’m not aware of that requires Bioware to put a Towers of Hanoi puzzle in every fucking game they make?

Hammerhead ammo adds a percentage to the weapons force, not damage. This just makes it more likely to knock enemies down.

Force and Damage are two different stats.

DOT ammo? Why? Things die so fast it makes no difference.

DOT ammo is quite nice in battles with a lot of enemies popping in and out behind cover. You take the shots that present themselves, knowing that around the corner they’re still dying, and you don’t have to charge in as agressively to finish things if you don’t want to.

I also don’t see any use for the pistol and shotgun if you can use assault rifle.

Congrats on playing the class that can use an assault rifle. It’s an RPG. It’s like a Fighter in a stereotypical fantasy RPG going “Me have Two Handed Sword…what use me have for Daggers? Old Pointy Hat Man use wooden stick…why use stick when can use Two Handed Sword? Hurr!”

I found a similar trend with the gun-slot upgrade. Nothing beats the accuracy related upgrade (except possibly a heat one which I yet to see – if it exists). All the other upgrades have pros and series cons. While accuracy is good for everything.

If you’ve gained sufficent accuracy via skills/talents and find you’re having difficulty with other aspects of combat, then mods that aid in those phases would be superior. Newsflash: Other people may not play the game the same as you do, and those tactical/stylistic differences may stress different aspects of the combat mechanics.

Try using assault rifles with a different class. Then try using that class with their particular wepon skill maxed out. Really highlights the RPG element.

Try the same fight with different ammo equiped. Try the moonbase mission with photon ammo, with anti-synthetic ammo and then with anti-fleshling ammo. Then get back to us.

C.

PS - Hammerhead adds to knockback, not to damage. Great for knocking people over but not much else.

Also, can someone confirm for me that getting the X number of weapon kills achievement unlocks that weapon for new characters? My first playthrough was with an infiltrator and I pistol’d the whole game so I ain’t unlocked jack shit so far.

C.

Just FYI I am not complaining. I am enjoying the game. That was the impression I got from what I have played so far. Good to know I was actually wrong on certain things.

Yes, and it includes biotic and tech skills, and is cumulative across the all careers on the gamertag. You only get to pick skill extra skill for a new character though.

I’m probably 3/4ths of the way through with my first character an Adept. It definitely through me for a loop my first hour into the game when it played and seemed like a FPS. But after I understood the flow of combat and how to use Bionics quick and easy I was able to tackle every battle with a mix of bionics and some pistoleer action.

I also play with NPC’s on active and they seem to use their skills fairly well as long as there is a semi-open area.

Only thing I have found with an Adept is that you are required to Barrier and a First Aid Armor Upgrade (for my play style) so I’m not a paper tiger.

Whats this? If you get the Assault Rifle accheivment with a soldier on the next play through with an adept you can use an assault rifle?

Knockback? where does it say that out of interest? I dont doubt you just wondering if I totally missed it or if its not actually documented in game.

That’s a bad analogy since in something like D&D you have - board + sword, 2 handed, dual wield and double-bladed. Not to mention you could go rapier if you want or some other light weapon.

ME seems to be one weapon tagged to one class and that’s about it. I am not having any difficulty with a soldier and an assault rifle.

Exactly. The insanity level playthrough I’m doing now is actually with an shotgun wielding Adept. Theoretically Adepts can clump things to together Singularity and the shotgun’s special Carnage attack does extreme damage in a small area.