Master of Magic forum game

Yeah, that’s a fair point. Screw it, I’m in, let me know when it’s my turn and I’ll lead us to GLORY*!

*or possibly a chance at a fresh start with a new Wizard! :)

What’s the difficulty set to? I seem to remember that Myrror had better prizes for defeating lairs, nodes, and temples than the prime level: actual spellbooks or retorts/perks. But the monsters defending them were much harder, lots of Great Wyrms and Colossi.

Best of luck! I will be an observer and well-wisher for now.

Edit: oh, it’s on medium difficulty, my Reading Comprehension spell fizzled.

Alright, handing out adviser roles:

First Magician: AaronSofaer
Determines research priorities and manages persistent enchantments, as well as magic management
First Warrior: idrisz
Advises army makeup
First Minister: ineffablebob
Advises city development
First Champion: CLWheeljack
Advises hero priorities and recruitment
First speaker is unclaimed for now.

Round-robin queue:

1. Giaddon
  2. BleedTheFreak
  3. CLWheeljack
  4. ineffablebob
  5. X (new players go here)
  6. Giaddon (restart loop)

Alright, everyone: get talking. What to build in Trollopolis? What to research? What kind of military do we need? Where to explore? Anyone who wants is free to comment and brainstorm!

priority for the army right now is scout out nearby areas for empty ruins and easy to conquer town as well as find new location to build more cities.

doubtful we need to build any units soon, but if we do need more units, I would prefer more troll swordsman.

I managed to patch my GOG installation and load up the save, so I’m ready to go on the technical front. Throw my name in the turns rotation. How badly can I possibly screw up in only 25 turns?

In my capacity as chief planning troll of Trollopolis, I recommend the following sequence: Granary->Marketplace->Farmer’s Market. In my experience there’s no such thing as too much food, and I assume it’ll be a little while before we need to do serious army-building given that we’re Myrran.

My 2 cents on the other areas…exploring is definitely the best use of the initial units, at least until we find some barbarians to conquer or easy-looking ruins. I might suggest summoning a Magic Spirit for exploration reasons, too. For spells, I’d suggest focusing on summoning more than buffs. If we get a big stack of Hell Hounds to run around with the trolls, and Phantom Warriors to summon in battle, then all we have to worry about is winning…any dead trolls come back to life anyway.

Yes, scouting is certainly the highest priority. Once we have our immediate surroundings known, we can start considering how best to colonize or enslave the local populace, whichever comes first.

Which is to say: Troll-man search now!

As for Champion-matters, I recommend we hire the first one we see. IIRC, they’re few and far between in the early days when our (what will surely become a) grand kingdom is of less renown, and getting some experience under his / her belt would be nice ASAP.

I guess there’s a couple of prissy little heroes we don’t want, but we can just feed them to whatever’s in that dungeon tower for scouting purposes if it comes to that.

Unless Grand Wizard Aaron disagrees, how about phantom warriors? I think their illusory weapon (ignore armor?) is pretty badass in the early game.

Ooooh, this looks like something fun to follow. Although I don’t know if anyone will want to be in charge of diplomatic relations, seeing as the AI is crazy and will do whatever it feels like pretty much regardless of treaties.

I believe I used to play with that unofficial patch. As a word of warning to everyone if you’re playing with the crazy wandering monster option turned on, I remember having to reload a few times when I didn’t leave any guards on my city and warbears and sprites came out of a den and levelled it.

I believe for hiring hero early game, we need place priority on heroes with

-Noble (10 extra gold a turn instead costing money.)
-Famous (fame reduce troop upkeep)
-Pathfinding ( allow us our stack to travel faster and scout more )

In my capacity as chief planning troll of Trollopolis, I recommend the following sequence: Granary->Marketplace->Farmer’s Market. In my experience there’s no such thing as too much food, and I assume it’ll be a little while before we need to do serious army-building given that we’re Myrran.

If wandering monsters are on, having some defenders might be a good idea, although I’m not sure how many or whether you are better off with built units or summons.

I think at normal difficulty chance of roamer is very very rare, it’s possible to finish farmer market before building more troops.

I agree, and it’ll be a big help to have extra food before we generate more hungry troll soldiers.

By the way, don’t forget to manage your food as close to zero as possible in these early stages of the game, by changing farmers to workers. I always forget to check that and end up with several turns of lessened production before I remember.

OK, I have a good sense of our priorities. I want to hear from Aaron to get the word about our magic, but even if I don’t hear from him, tonight I’ll start our road to VICTORY!

Phantom Warriors?

UNACCEPTABLE.

Hell Hounds is our first piece of research!

I second Hell Hounds! IMO, the best summon of the game (considering casting cost, ease of research and impact).

I just tried playing MoM again and it really makes me realize how much I value the cultural borders concept. Without them everything becomes a jumbled mess. I love so much of the magic system in MoM and if someone anyone (please someone!) brought back that magic system with a refresh containing modern civilization mechanics it would be awesome.

Fire-breathing canines from the depths of Hades? Count me in!

If we can afford the mana cost, a stack of the first wussy Hero to come along, 4-5 Hounds, and 2-3 Trolls can take out most barbarian cities and the easier ruins.

I’ve had MOM on every computer I’ve owned since it was released (painstakingly copying the original install directory from the copy I bought back then…). Good memories.

Good luck with the trolls. Once you make it up to war trolls the world is your mollusc.

I’ve never installed the patches after the last official one - any comments from anyone who has on stability and what they add in terms of game play?

OK! I’m going to start… Now!

25 turns complete!

News:

• Hell Hounds finished researching! Just started researching Holy Armor without further guidance.
  • Granary completed in Trollopolis! Started work on the marketplace.
  • Summoned a magic guardian for scouting! Used it to explore the southern area.
  • Trollopolis grows to population 5! And is very close to pop 6.
  • Found a neutral troll hamlet, Erfurt! It is defended by two swordstrolls and 2 speartrolls.

To the north!

The cursor is on an excellent place for our second city: 19 pop, +40% production, +20% gold.

To the south!

You can see Erfurt at the very southern border. Nature node to the east.

Research!

Here’s the save, for BleedTheFreak It should occupy the 8th slot, but with no name.

Since no one else has voiced an interest in being an adviser, I’ll just leave the roles for now. I’ll be part of the general rabble.

My main advice would be to get a settler up to that river location–it’s excellent. And maybe start checking out caves and things.

…And that town to the south is ours! It took me 30 turns to summon two hellhounds, so my apologies for going a bit over, I didn’t even realize how much time had gone by until I noticed the Settlers went from 45 to 15 turns to build.

I started off investing 140 of our gold into the Marketplace to finish it off and get the Settlers built faster.

Then I summoned Hell Hounds and consolidated the Magic Spirit, Swordsman, and Spearmen units and waited for the HH to join up. We ran into some raiders along the way, so as soon as those settlers are built we should start ramping up with more regular troops. Both HH units perished during the town siege, so maybe just summon another stack of them to also babysit our town/tower?

I suggest proceeding to settle the area Giaddon suggested as well as putting a stack together to clear out some of the easier neutral locations. The raider came out of the area just south and west of our starting down, so there could be another neutral town out that way, as well, for us to conquer.

This town is ours! Victory is at hand!

Oops, 11 turns, I guess I took even longer than I thought. Sorry! How strict is that 25 turn limit…?

Here is where I have set our current Magic - priority on research, but if the next player wants more mana and things like hell hounds, I wouldn’t blame ya - those things are beasts early on, and can themselves take on a stack and a half of Troll Spearmen.

Here is the save file for CLWheeljack! This time it might occupy the 9th slot, it did on my PC, but it might not have a name (I named it Qt3 Game but I don’t know if it will retain that or not). If there are any problems let me know.