Master of Magic forum game

I thought that if you picked Sss’ra, it would assign one of the other wizards as Myrran just so you had some company…maybe that’s with the patch though.

only on the harder difficulty.

I know about that because I actually had the strategy guide for MoM.

here is a quote from the gamefaq for MoM.

The only way to guarantee that you are alone on Myrror
(if you are doing a custom wizard) is to use the Sss’ra picture. This
doesn’t work with the latest patch of the game (v1.31).

All the talking about MoM makes me want to load up MoM, I still have very fond memories of arguing with my friends about whether going all paladin is better than going cheap range units like slingers!!!

Psh, all Wizards all the way! (Yeah, I know it’s not ideal, but PEWPEW, MOTHERFUCKER!)

I resemble this remark, so much that this is exactly what I did after work today. Played right up until dinner time.

I really enjoy the new patch.

with the unpatch MoM, basically the only way to win in an impossible game is grovel and plead for non-aggression treaty with every wizard you meet, and trade low level spell for high level spell until you can get a super stack and just 1 shot their capital.

with the new patch, AI will break treaty as long as they feel that they have complete dominance over you which makes it much more realistic and harder.

Also they always try to cast horrible global spell, which makes other AI mad at them, cause them to fight each other while I pretend to be dead while keeping aura of majestic and just cause up.

Hmm, it’s a good point that on Myrror we will be alone. Might be a bit dull at the beginning. Does anyone strongly NOT want that? Quick straw poll.

Alright, we have our wizard!

Spell Books:
Life - 2
Chaos - 2
Sorcery - 1
Nature - 1

Special Abilities:
Myrran
Places a wizard on Myrror at the beginning of the game (otherwise, all wizards start on Arcanus). Myrran wizards may choose to begin the game with one of the special races (beastmen, dark elves, draconians, dwarves or trolls) that are otherwise not available to starting wizards. Because Myrror is a world richer in magic than Arcanus, the Myrran wizard’s enchanted fortress generates double the magic power of an equivalent fortress on Arcanus.
Alchemy
Allows a wizard to directly interconvert gold and magic power. The conversion process normally results in a loss of 50% of the starting material (you convert 100 gold into 50 mana). With Alchemy, you can convert on a straight one-for-one basis.
Node Mastery
doubles the amount of magic power that a wizard draws from nodes of all types.

Race: Trolls
Cost triple normal amount; Regeneration: 4 hit points; +2 melee strength bonus; +3 resistance bonus; Halberdiers negate First Strike; Have 4 figures per unit

He’s sexy in an Omar Sharif kinda way…

Our capital city, Trollopolis!

Built on the shores of a murky lake, near the bare, glowing forests of Myrror, with a ruined tower looming out of the distance… A sorcery node pulses nearby, offering both mana and danger.

And our available spells to research:

Spells we have: Warp creature, magic spirit, and heroism.

Army: One speartroll, one swordstroll.

Tomorrow: we set roles for the players, determine empire priorities, and start our path to victory.

May I comment in this thread? Or do I have to be an adviser?

Nice! Looking good!

Comment away!

Here is the save file, for anyone interested. It goes in the MOM folder, and it will overwrite slot 8 (the bottom slot), I believe. It is using the 1.40m patch.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but I unzipped the 1.40m patch into my game folder (I have this from gog.com) and I saved the save9.gam file into that same folder, but when I try to load game my saved game screen shows no games.

How can I confirm I’m running 1.40m?

EDIT - I figured it out, the game was there but had no name so it was an empty slot. When I clicked on it the “load” option lit up, so I gave it a name and we are good.

Not to figure out why I don’t get a battle screen, just an auto-resolve screen…?

EDIT EDIT - Okay, that’s sweet, an auto-resolve option. I’m turning it off though, but it’s a nice addition. I also see wild monsters (?) is checked by default, which adds some extra difficulty, another nice touch.

I will be a commenter.

First comment: Oh, so you have chosen the ‘a bit of everything’ approach, with very distributed spell books. But everything at low level in exchange. The Myrran world + Node mastery should produce a lot of mana but in the late game you won’t have high end spells to use with that big mana pool. I suppose you can use it in lots of basic unit enchantments; and summonings in the early game.
The extra mana + alchemy is to be rich, isn’t?

I think I never played MoM like that: with over half of the points used in skills, and the rest in several schools, limiting yourself to low level spells in all the game.

I didn’t remember the warp wood spell, I suppose it’s from the nature magic school.
I also forgot the summons were on the capital city and you needed a spell to move the summon circle.

Not a bad starting city. 20 Max Pop (I think 25 is the highest?).

Are we doing round robin? I’d go in for that, or for any advisorial role that’s free. We could cycle the advisor roles with each new player, if we wanted to keep mixing things up. Just work down the list.

Yes; one of the side-effects of design by committee. Fortunately, trolls are tough bastards, and we can use our Node Mastery + Alchemy to make a lot of gold, which we can use to buy more trolls! Maybe.

Also, for those who do download the save – it’s meant so you can look at the city, the spellbook, the visible tiles, etc., but please don’t go exploring – we all want to learn about our situation together!

We should focus on getting more trolls in our army first to start claiming territory and exploring. I vote for Holy Armor - may as well start buffing our trolls up - as well.

Here’s what I have in mind for the round-robin rules.

Starts with me. We establish imperial priorities in this forum, and then I play for 25 turns, only stopping to share if something truly important appears. When the 25 turns are up, I post a full status report and pass the game along to the next in the queue (so far that’s only you, CLWheeljack), and the adviser roles are shuffled.

I’ll wait a few more hours to let other post their interest in an adviser role, or a turn at the round-robin and then I’ll randomly set the roles from those interested and randomly set the round-robin queue.

Sounds like a plan!

I’d offer to play in the round robin, but I just tried two games in row and… uh… I’m REALLY rusty. :)

Yeah, me too…I think that’s part of the fun!

Besides, it’s only on medium, right? How hard can it be?

Also, it’s possible that, hypothetically, I may have never managed to play a full game of MoM without just a little bit of save scumming. Maybe. So, this will be an interesting challenge.