Mechanical switch keyboards: Worth it?

Heh. Heh, heh.

What I did with my Corsair K95 (Cherry MX Reds) was to install rubber O-rings on the key switches. Really quiets it down.

Undoubtedly. I hit the keys pretty hard and have zero interest in retraining myself. Everybody always comments I sound like a machine gun going off when typing on a cherry switch. 120+wpm combined with excessive force can make an impressive racket.

O-rings sound like a solution to the noise but man, installing those rings on all the keys can’t be fun. Moot point right now since I don’t own a red switch keyboard though I guess I may shortly.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-104-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html mannnnn

It’s expensive once you toss in the shipping and o-ring preinstall, but hella worth it, IMO. Plus custom colors!

But no volume dial, sadly :(

WASD/Code would be in the forefront if they had any in stock. But no volume? Man I have gotten really used to it and would hate to give it up.

Oh wow, I didn’t realize they were totally out. Christmas must have been nuts for them. Which, technically, I contributed to. . .

After an evening with the Cherry Silvers, I think I’m actually going to return it and get the Reds. The actuation point is so freaking high on the Silvers that just resting my fingers on the keys in “ready position” was activating them. Yikes.

Question is, to o-ring or not to o-ring.

Re: the O-ring installation: If you do it yourself it’s maybe an hour’s work one afternoon.

Having recently had to replace some broken stabilizers on my the old Filco my gf inherited from me to use at work, I will say that futzing around with stabilized keys is super fuckin’ obnoxious, though. Was easily worth the $20 to pay someone else to do it for me, but I mean hey, when you’re dropping $150+ on a keyboard already, why not go all out?

What I really want is a mechanical keyboard with cherry blues or clears, a high quality metal case, backlighting (either RGB or plain white/blue with brightness control), separate media keys, a weighty volume control knob that feels good to use, and an integrated USB hub. For $150.

Also, no macro keys or any weirdness on the left side. That just messes me up. Standard US keyboard layout, other than adding on the media keys and volume.

The closest I have seen is corsair or das as shown above. My K70 Corsair has all of that but just one USB port on the back. I like it quite it a bit, it’s a heavy nice construction but as I said above it has issues with S3 sleep on my machines (two different motherboards) and I worry about the strength of the cable connection on the back. While the outside may be metal the inside of my K95 was plastic and broke, making repair unfeasible for me.

No idea on the das keyboard build quality but the Professional looks very nice. Not sure if it has lighting or not.

Man, Amazon wants to charge me $10 in shipping to return this thing. That’s a first. Must have bought it from some hosted vendor or something?

Numpad should really really be detachable and go on the left side. This allows quick entry + mousing.

I think I would stroke out if I tried to 10key with my left hand.

No kidding, I am feeling all twitchy even trying to imagine that.

You guys don’t find it uncomfortable to cross the left hand over to the numpad on the right?? In addition, travel distance for the right hand between JKL: home keys, and mouse is minimized.

TBH I always use the numpad with my mouse hand. Most of the time, my primary usage of the mouse is middle-clicking a buncha Qt3 threads to commence the infinite shitposting; otherwise, I’m pretty keyboard driven ;-)

Yeah I mostly don’t use the numpad. I touch type the number row so that’s faster anyway.

The K70 RGB MK.2 was on sale for $120 at Amazon, which seemed like a pretty good deal, so I picked it up.

Actually replacing a 6 year old Das Keyboard, which still works perfectly fine but is dreadfully filthy.

Yeah, I think that’s what I’m doing too.