Metroid Dread - 2D Metroid on Switch

They don’t make em like they used to!

I think the Wii is where you can play them all

I do have a Wii, but I don’t like the controllers. (The Gamecube controller is the most uncomfortable controller ever. Ok, maybe second, after Dreamcast). (I just realized I’ve never tried the Pro Controller for the Switch, so maybe it’s the same way. I hope not!)

This is a wrong opinion and you should feel bad.

First, GameCube controllers are great.

Second N64 is objectively worse

Not an opinion, just talking about how it makes my hands hurt. The N64 controller didn’t do that.

I get it, those buttons can hurt if pressed with force (not as much as the dc s like you said, but still).There are workarounds for other controllers on the Wii, but they are tedious

I am sad to hear it because you are therefore unable to use the greatest input device Nintendo has ever made.

Obviously somewhat tongue in cheek, but I genuinely do think they are great , and am
Super glad to still have a working set of 4

You can play Metroid 1 and 3 on the Switch, since they’re NES and SNES games, respectively. 2 was a Gameboy game, and 4 was a GBA game, and those aren’t on the Switch yet. But you can play all of them on the Wii U Virtual Console!

I couldn’t disagree more. I thought it looked great, especially the animations. It’s not as in your face gorgeous as Ori, sure, but that’s not the aesthetic Metroid goes for anyway.

Looked like Shadow Complex to me.

The GBA metroid games were my favorite, SuperMetroid third, Metroid:Other M 4th… the 3D FPS ones just weren’t Metroid… you see the pattern… this looks perfect. Just need a Switch, now.

I will not condone this type of language in here sir!

Also Metroid Prime is genuinely my second favorite game of all time.

Ok we have 25 minutes of gameplay here. Obviously if you want to know nothing going in, don’t watch. This appears to have the first boss battle as well.

I mean it is for sure a boss battle, but is probably the first one (or very nearly so). Gives a good sense of the mechanics and design.

I also love the 2D Metroid games best. You may say that’s nostalgia talking, but that’s the stuff I got hooked on and I never quite clicked with the Prime games in quite the same way. It does look like Dread is built on much the same template as Samus Returns but that one was pretty decent too, so no complaints from me.

If I had to nitpick one thing in Dread, it’s Samus’s color scheme. She looks like Captain America for pete’s sake.

Same Spanish dev studio (and I think same design leads). Likely same engine evolved, even.

Agreed, I never liked the Prime games. I started Prime 3 and didn’t play for more than an hour. They just played like shit.

unpopular opinion

Let me amend this comment. If they made a 3D Metroid that has shooting gameplay like Returnal, I’m all in. Let me see Samus in 3rd person. The Wii FPS shooters played like crap, and the games didn’t feel like Metroid games.

Fine, don’t like them. It’s the internet, you’re allowed to be wrong.

But to say that aren’t Metroid is to overstate your case completely.

If I said, Metroid: the Other M wasn’t a proper Samus, either, I’d be right too!

Yeah, I loved the Prime series, well, at least the first two, preferring them to the 2D games. I found the first-person perspective so much more immersive, making the detailed environments feel more intimate and claustrophobic but also labyrinthine and beautiful. The added dimension gave the world so much more depth and scale. But Retro also managed to perfectly translate the gameplay loop and make the shooting accessible on shitty thumbsticks and the platforming work in first-person. Corruption was flawed but I thought the Wii controls were fantastic and a marked improvement over Prime and Echoes–and pretty much any shooter on thumbsticks for that matter. Echoes is my favourite followed closely by Prime.

I really should check out Samus Returns though, and/or AM2R.

Dread looks very interesting. I liked the horror aspect of Fusion so a dash of that sounds good to me.

Everybody’s entitled to their own opinions, of course, but the general consensus about the Prime games was that the Metroid “feel” survived the transition to 3D/FPS surprisingly well. They sense of exploration and isolation, the pattern-based boss fights, the navigation puzzles, all felt very Metroid-y. I actually think that the transition to the Wii may have undermined that, as the transition to light-gun aiming shifted some of the gameplay.

I haven’t played Other M, but I don’t typically hear those opinions expressed about it. Most people seem to agree that it didn’t feel Metroid-y, mostly pointing to the overbearing story-telling and the lack of a feeling of isolation.