MI to FL and back, New Years-ish time frame

Why are you bringing tools!

Hey, why aren’t you bringing more tools?!

How am I supposed to survive the Thunderdome without tools?

Actually that’s one of my game boxes. Those DeWalt tool cases are perfect for many small card games!

Back in the USA after a day in Toronto! Among other things, stopped to see some falling water.

On a quick stretch break, then next stop @Dave_Perkins!

Weeeeeeeeeee!

Before I crash for the night, have to post our Star Realms game picture…because of course I couldn’t visit @Dave_Perkins without playing Star Realms.

What is that odd looking thing in the foreground? Oh wait…

Day 3 is in the books! Started the morning at @Dave_Perkins place, who was generous enough to feed me breakfast and introduce me to some nice horses. Plus a very surprising Secret Santa gift reveal which you’ll have to go to that thread for.

Then it was about 6 hours drive down to Brooklyn. Do not take seriously anything Google Maps says about NYC drive times, it kept changing all the way down. But I got there eventually and met @Ex-SWoo:

Had some beers, pizza, and played a little shuffleboard. Yep, you read that right, first time either of us had played the game. Apparently it’s becoming a hip thing to do; certainly there were enough mostly-young people in the place. I won 2 out of 3, although that was either dumb luck or Woo letting me win. 😁 In any event, good fun and it was great to meet another QT3 friend!

Tomorrow it’ll be northern Virginia time!

Loving these updates so far

Looks like a wonderful time. Love seeing these pics!

Got to hang with the northern Virginia crew tonight, as documented here:

Tonight’s sleep brought to you by @Tin_Wisdom’s guest room, thanks for the hospitality!

Awesome. I can’t wait for post-New Years Raleigh.

My philosophy is this: give a man a sword and he can smite his enemies for a day. But teach a man how to forge a sword and he can… hmm… I’m not sure this works as well with swords as with fish.

Anyway, enjoy these pic of Skip at the Blacksmith’s Guild of the Potomac.

Forging another demon blade, no doubt. Keep your eye on that guy.

It was quite an experience! @Tin_Wisdom kindly gave me the blacksmithing safety basics - fire is hot, don’t touch it; hammer is heavy, don’t hit your finger with it - and then took me step-by-step through making s-hooks. Did you know those cool little screw-like grooves in metal ornaments are made by simply twisting the metal around a few times? I didn’t, but now I’ve done it!

As one might expect, my first effort is pretty rough, but I’m still proud of it. Many thanks, Pat, that was great fun! And also thanks to the other folks at the forge who were all very welcoming and willing to explain what was going on to a newbie.

Actually that looks really great for a first effort imo.

That looks like so much fun! What you made looks very professional too.

@Tin_Wisdom was kind enough to invite me to a New Years Eve party, too! Behold his prowess with the sword:

https://youtu.be/GWE9MAaN1Eo

Met some very interesting people and had a great time!

I love that his expression in the video just after is like, “did you see that? I will mess you up.”

If you’re gonna run in January, Virginia weather > Michigan weather! Good time at the New Year’s Day 5k in Midlothian outside Richmond. And I even got a selfie with a cow.