Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

It is now, yes. Done as much as any live service game is “done”

Right, this is the official full release, and they’ll continue to release additional stuff so long as people keep buying it.

Sure, but you’ve also been able to play it for two years.

You can’t read, can you?

I can read, it’s just that your position is nonsense.

Not my position, the one you invent in your head to apply to anything I’ve said.

I guess. If you like to play only half a game, without the story being finished, etc.

And stusser’s “as long as a company continues to release content it isn’t done stance”. Wow. Any forthcoming expansion/DLC means the game isn’t finished/can’t be played. That’s… novel in this day and age.

You have accurately divined Brad’s position yes.

Comapring his statements here to those in the Epic thread is pretty hilarious.

You should actually do it, since you all seem to be such experts on what I have said.

To clarify, what exactly is Microsoft doing that is unacceptable?
Acquiring studios?
Using money from other sectors?
Paying to have games be exclusive on their platform?

Sony does all those things, historically to a much greater degree. Sony controls MORE of the game market than Microsoft does.

Microsoft is doing things that directly address your prior criticisms of them…and you are upset about it, because it threatens Sony, and you have a totally weird brand loyalty to them.

Man I love console wars.

I have both and I never use my ps5. It’s not only because it breaks half the time I turn it on. There’s just nothing to play. Anything I might play on PS is available on Xbox too.

Nintendo has the best exclusives, and I don’t think anyone can debate that. I think Activision is going to be a poison pill for Xbox. If you’re a Sony fan (Brad), let them have it.

Overwatch 2 is DOA. WoW is on the decline. Diablo 4 is Blizzards best hope and I’m just not seeing the hype behind it that Diablo 3 had.

CoD is also on the decline. Yes it still has massive market share but I have a feeling it’s ripe for disruption. Instead of pissing and moaning, Sony should use their superior studios (not a sarcastic statement) to make the next multilayer shooter to bury CoD. CoD gamers all hate the game and want something new. But all we get Battlefield. Which is… embarrassing.

That would indeed be crazy! Can you link to where I said it?

Technically WoW has been in decline for nearly 15 years. One day it will get shut down, but for now I assume it’s still making money, and over its lifetime has probably made Blizzard $10-$15 billion.

I think Diablo Immortal’s preview of what to expect with Diablo 4 took a lot of wind out of those sails.

That said, I predict Diablo IV will do gangbusters on launch and will make a ton of money for the company.

They do keep trying but unlike their single player games they never seem to catch on

Honestly, I agree with this to some large extent.

Overwatch 2 really is just overwatch 1, which was somehow totally fucked up for a few weeks.

Blizzard definitely has major problems. Maybe those problems can be fixed, but their management seems to need to be gutted. This move in OW2 just seems terrible from a business perspective. They were still making BANK on that game, and the new F2P model seems like there’s no way it’s going to have anywhere close to the same level of engagement. Unless you are feeding them money, there’s really no sense of progression at all.

Also agree with the COD take. COD is super popular, but the franchise does not have the magic that the original Infinity Ward put into it. It’s not an innovative franchise like it once was. It’s just a rehash of the same game, over and over again, because there are really very few developers who understand shooters to the extent that the original IW guys had.

Microsoft would likely have gotten more bang for their buck by just paying those guys a ton of money and said, “Here, make a new badass shooter.”

A game like titanfall 2 largely suffered from zero marketing exposure… if it had gotten marketed by a big producer, instead of just thrown out there between CoD and Battlefield, it could have disrupted the genre a lot more than it did. Everyone who played that game tended to come out and say, “Holy crap, why didn’t anyone tell me about this game?”

I also agree that it will probably be better for Microsoft if they’re forced to abandon this deal. It’s just a massive studio infrastructure, it cost them way too much to buy it, and there’s a ton of internal problems that will be really tough to deal with.

On the other hand, if it does go through, they are getting a ton of studio talent, and a ton of good IPs. It’s going to be tough, and probably not worth the cost that they paid for it, but they can certainly get a ton of value for it if they can handle things well.

Maybe, but you all know that if Microsoft is forced to abandon this deal, they’ll just buy a bunch of other companies, right? They need to spend their cash on something.

Is the argument that MS isn’t allowed to buy any development studios?
Didn’t Sony JUST get done buying Bungie?

I think that’s good too, actually. Essentially rescuing more companies like Double Fine that would be in big trouble without Microsoft buying them out, those kinds of things are win-win for both companies. I wish they’d done more of those than going after Act-Bliz.

Given these two back to back statements, I see two options. One, that you didn’t know it was out of early access and in full release- in which case I retract my observation. Or Two, that you did know it was 1.0, and that yes, they’ll probably add more content, just like, oh, damn near every game out there, in which case I don’t know what you’re talking about, other that Grounded getting singled out for that behavior?