Microsoft buys Zenimax/Bethesda

They left money on the table by not having a PS Halo…

It’ll be interesting to see what Bethesda will have come up with their long dev cycle. When Rockstar or CDPR do it, they come up with some fairly convincing auteurship. I wonder if Bethesda will unveil the same janky third person animation and a mages guild quest line, and be like TADA!

Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop, I’d guess.

That’s true, but you have to think MS had a look at what Bethesda has in the works. You don’t write a $7.5 billion check without inspecting the merchandise.

Okay folks, it’s been 30 minutes. Where are the jokes and memes?

4fqfhc

LOL

Gotta love console warriors. Months saying

Where are the big games for Xbox?!

Well, here they are. And now they instead disparage about how horrible is the news.

Deathloop is one I think. Isn’t that Arkane Studios?

Unless you’re HP.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Who does that? Not anyone here, I think?

Yeah, I’m hoping they saw Starfield and were really impressed.

Also, holy shit, they just bought 9 studios in one go. Granted, some of these 9 studios I’d never heard of before today. But I have heard of 5 of them.

Ah nice. I knew about Deathloop, I didn’t know Ghostwire Tokyo was Zenimax.

Starfield did get a mention in the announcement at least.

Gods, I would kill for an Elder Scrolls 6 as good as, or better than Skyrim with all the modding.

Not here. Console oriented forums like Resetera.

Yeah that’s no joke. MAAYYBEE Starfield is an ending of 2021 game but I’d probably put it at 2022. ES6 is at least 2024. They just released Doom Eternal so the next one is not going to be for 2-3 years at least. Rage was also relatively recent but who knows on that. I’m unsure of the status of a current Wolfenstein game so maybe we have that next year? Arkane Studios is coming out with Deathloop in a few months so their next game is way out.

It’s definitely going to be some time before they really see the fruits of this acquisition.

Hats off to the dealmakers on this for not getting even the hint of a leak out. After all the buzz of Micro soft maybe buying WB Games, they popped out with this surprise instead.

I do wonder how much of this is simply the combination of Windows, Office, and Azure creating a Brewster’s millions scenario where MS have more money than they can possibly spend organically, and need to find some use for it.

If we could go back in time and see this news announced at the same event as the Halo Infinite debacle, I wonder how much traction Craig would have had.

It might be coincidental, but smart timing announcing this 1 day before Xbox pre-orders open.

Haha I wonder if this will make Deathloop a PC game pass game too :D

Remember Zenimax’ Board of Directors is sorta insane.

Les Moonves, CBS Chairman
Jerry Bruckheimer. Yes, movie guy.
Harry Sloan, former Chairman and CEO of MGM
Robert S Trump. Donald’s younger brother, who just died. Don’t think they named a replacement
Cal Ripken. Yes, that Cal Ripken.