Microsoft buys Zenimax/Bethesda

There’s still time to acquire CD Projekt before Cyberpunk releases!

Yeah I looked at this list and thought “well, I’m still fine with my PS5 preorder, haven’t played recent games in any of those franchises”, but overall this is still a Big Deal.

Likely not at Bethesda for a day longer than his retention bonus clause, which are typically one year.

Hahahaha! Can you imagine how nuts that day would be?

Nooo - I need Skyrim on all future consoles and appliances!

That would be a REALLY hot nuts day!

edit: LOL, you edited it, and made me look crazy :-D

Skyrim was one of my favorite games of all time - but sadly that time may have passed as I’ve gotten older. I’m probably never going to play an inventory management RPG again. I mean I can’t barely get off the starting island in Divinity 2 without wanting to throttle the inventor of the barrel. I tried restarting Skyrim a few months ago and discovered I just don’t have it in me sorting through the trash and picking through dressers.

Ugh, this sucks. I don’t even own a modern Playstation and have no intentions of doing so, but exclusives are the worst shit.

I know mine were 3-4 years in two acquisitions. Activision Blizzard was a weird reverse acquisition. Other was Twitch acquiring Curse.

A good thing about this being Microsoft is, that its not THAT exclusive, since they will release all the games on PC as well.

At least, MS release their games on both XBox and PC. Also, the series S is a really cheap entry point if you don’t have a gaming PC. So they will be more accessible than they would be coming from Sony.

I mean yes, as a PC gamer, I’m not disadvantaged in the least. But the ideal is that this isn’t exclusive to either major console, lol.

I’m less worried about Xbox/general PC exclusives and would be more genuinely annoyed by XboxGamepass/Microsoft PC Game Store exclusives.

To give an idea of how big games have gotten, Disney paid $4 billion for Star Wars and $7 billion for Pixar.

It’s a big get for Xbox eventually but I think a bunch of these games that matter are still several years out.

I thought Microsoft was releasing all their PC releases on Steam as well? Like Halo, etc.?

They currently do. Currently.

Does anyone know what the two time PS5 exclusives are from Zenimax?

A lot of Bethesda’s decision making the last few years has been kind of suspect to me, stuff like Fallout 76 for one thing (though I’m sure it’s improved now since launch). It will be interesting to see what happens with their future projects. “I’m not waiting 10 years for EL6 - buy them and make them work on it!” LOL.

I think it’s likely many or all of these Bethesda properties will end up as timed exclusives for PC/XB going forward, but it would be silly to leave money on the table and never let something like the next Fallout or Starfield (or w/e) land on PS5.

They’re all moving to the Bethesda .net launcher.

/Joke