Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

There’s a temporary Community Hotfiix for the flap issues that can be dropped in until the World Update 3 ships in March. Note this only works with the base sim planes, due to the DRM on the deluxe planes.

Meanwhile, the SWS Fiat G.91 looks a lot like an F-86D/K Sabre with a really pointy nose, and the super-talented Jan Kees Blom was asking for repaint ideas for it. So I suggested Dennis the Menace, which is on display at the USAF museum. Jan Kees is super-talented…

Thanks for that, at least it’s semi-sortable.

Random shot from something I was messing with earlier:

Oops.

If you walk away, that’s a successful landing. :)

I like the first shot, I think that’s a DA-62. I’ve really come to like them a lot more now that patching has evened out some of the early wrinkles. Twins as a whole really have become something I love to fly.

I will say this though, I’ve been trying to fly real weather a lot more and have VERY MUCH met my match in norther climates in winter. I’m a VFR style flyer and though I can use instruments somewhat, icing on small planes really is just insanely detrimental to recreational flying in northern climates. I got about 1/2 through the trip with the Cessna 182 from Germany back to Canada and every single flight from Keflavik to Canada has been so bad I had to bail out and set it for better flying conditions. Just absolutely horrible (and devastating if it were real.) It doesn’t help that the area has had bad winter storm cells of late but even a, “normal,” day is overcast, with clouds, right at freezing temps. And as soon as you get 800’ to 1000’ feet, like clockwork you’re in cloud cover and icing has started. I feel like I failed by backing the weather off but man, who on earth would own a recreational aircraft up there that couldn’t handle icing? It’s insane.

I did get the Cessna 182 to Quebec, but only barely. I can’t wait for spring thaw so that means more playing around with artificial weather just to get where I need. In hindsight, get aircraft that can handle de-icing in northern climates.

Excellent, thanks for this. Although one thing the bug helped me with is lowering my angle of approach to make it much shallower. I was definitely coming in too steep to begin with.

Also, thank heavens for that Add-On Linker; adding and removing all this crap by hand would be frustrating.

I hated the look of that jet but the livery makes it look decent :) I think I have some kind of complex - I start out with a new livery thinking, this looks horrific. Then halfway through the flight I start coming round and by the end I really dig it. This is true for even the ones like the German Flag livery.

This one for example - yea or nay?

I like it. It’s similar in style to the default TBM livery but recolored and applied to the Baron. I especially like that they left some of the true details intact, like the Beechcraft logo, the non-skid on the passenger side wing, etc. Some of the reskins I’ve seen look horrible for that reason, they just blanket the plane with an ugly wrap that colors over some important parts.

Are you using the better Baron mod?

Those are some double-take screens right there. May be the way the sunlight is reflecting off of the metal, but my first thought was “Nice photo!”

It’s actually the Bonanza! I was using the G36 mod but starting on the runway, the first thing it always does is make the engine cut out, and had loads of flashing warnings going off. Starting from cold and dark is probably how it’s supposed to be used. I’m using this as a low-altitude, soak in the scenery plane, so I don’t need much power, and I’m doing without.

I hated that livery at first and now really like it.

Oops, sorry, I saw that and knew it was the Bonanza and said Baron (since I’m partial to the duals.) I loaded the mod and need to try it out. I’m not too fond of FORCED anything, including cold and dark. We’ll see.

Most likely I am doing things wrong; I’m sure you’ll get on with it.

It’s indeed the DA62. It’s nice, especially with the community mod for it. If only it could do something about the awful placement of those A pillars, though. :( I’m also a fan of small twins. I am very, very much looking forward to Milviz releasing their C310, that was one of my favorite touring planes in P3D.

Yep. I’m a fan of flying with live weather, but I find myself doing it a lot less in the winter months for just that reason, either that or staying in warmer climes. It can be pretty brutal.

Which mod, TheFrett’s or Rob Young’s?

Yeah, I’ve undertaken to fly an FSE VFR-only plane a couple of thousand miles and cloud cover has often been at 1200 feet so far, it is a real PITA.

The Frett, I think. It has the Working Title stuff packaged with it.
But don’t worry about it, I know so little it’s wasted on me anyway ;)

I agree completely about the DA62 A pillars. Uff. Not fun to look at for the majority of a flight.

I didn’t know a C310 was on the way. I’m waiting for Aerosoft’s Twin Otter. Sounds like we have some fun to look forward to.

There are two Spitfires on the way for MSFS. This is probably mostly of interest to combat sim fans, but if you’re like me and you like to fly warbirds too, this might make a fun summer project…

There’s now a 3D printable Spitfire control stick, with authentic throttle, gear switch, and flaps switch in the works:

Flying Iron Simulations Mk. IXc/e:

Aeroplane Heaven Mk. Ia:

That looks so damned good. Seriously I hope at some point there is a dev that can take the newer technology of MSFS and code a combat game around some of it. One item that third shot gets that I wish more aircraft were modeled with it a bit of aircraft skin bending, stressing, wallowing. I know you guys know what I’m talking about it’s when you look at an aircraft or ship and you can loosely see the ribs and struts of the design since the skin of the aircraft tends to sink in just a bit but also be affected by riveting and construction process. When you see a smooth sided aircraft it breaks the immersion a bit. Unless they are molded, they are rarely smooth.

@kaosfere I spent part of the day loading several of the rest of the Working Title mods and though I’m not sure which one you assist on, all of them help so much in game. I had missed out on the 3X mod and loaded both that and a few updated aircraft models that used them today and I’m blown away. So many nice tweaks and additions. Kudos to the entire team but many thanks for that one in particular. I’m way late to the party but I wish I’d just considered the entire Working Title mod list as -mandatory- from the start and loaded them all.

After loading the entire list I seem to get in-game and repeatedly say, “whoa look at that! Nice!”

Attention to detail is the groups forte.

SkyShare: Shared Cockpit Controls is free on SimMarket today only. I’m not sure if I’ll ever use it, but since it’s free, can’t hurt to grab a license!

Basically lets you send joystick inputs to another player’s MSFS installation. Could be useful for teaching someone to land. :)

I’m hoping this is the first step to official or modded in copilot support at some point. I think it would be fun to do a coop flight together with someone.

Yeah, I don’t see a ton of utility to it right now, but I grabbed the license hoping he’ll develop it into a more extensive copilot experience down the road. :)

Hehe, thanks, that’s very kind. Since we do a fair bit of code reuse it’s hard to be truly precise about what anyone’s worked on, eg, I wrote a lot of the library that almost all our code interacts with, both in the Garmins and the CJ4, to store preferences via the data storage API. But the G1000 and the G3X are where I’ve spent most of my time. But there are also map features created by the guy working mostly on the G3000 that the rest of the Garmins use, etc. I want to find time to further enhance the G3X, that’s my favorite of the glass displays in the game, mostly because it’s the one most common to what I like to fly.

You may already know of it, but there’s also Your Controls, which works pretty well from what I’ve read.