Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Sounds it eats CPU, GPU, and RAM like few other games. Even with 32GB of DDR4 it sounds like it struggled. Wondering if 64GB would be smoother?

Haha, I’m screwed. Guess I’ll be able to run this when I get a new beast machine built in a couple years or so.

Is Beta still under NDA? Seeing a lot of previews this morning.

Just to confirm, the store page popped up recently so it will be on Steam at the same date as elsewhere. Though from a value point of view, going to be hard to beat MS Gamepass for anyone who has a cheap subscription active.

Yes. There are stern NDA warnings when you download the game and when you launch it.

So the game will support the upcoming HP VR headset. Will it work with the most popular VR’s as well, like the Steam or Occulus ones? Not sure how cross-compatibility works.

I’ve been in since the first alpha and this article by Techcrunch accurately summarizes the state of the sim. It’s amazing but it will have some growing pains to be sorted out especially with regards to photogrammetry, but that’s to be expected when they’re modeling the entire globe. I’ve since uninstalled Xplane as FS2020 is clearly the future of desktop flight sims. If you have a beloved 3rd party plane in P3D or Xplane you may want to hold off on uninstalling until the devs of said plane port it over.

Yeah, this is sort of the game that is really “software as a service.” They’ll continually update the game over years, refining the terrain and updating the cities. Cities, after all, grow and evolve all the time. So add new skyscrapers and bridges here, remove stadiums that have been torn down and replaced there, add in those new subdivisions in the suburbs over there, etc.

Not sure what this sentence means. If the traffic isn’t showing up, how can it be working well?

Does the program have sectional maps built in? Can I file a flight plan? Will it provide a spoofed GPS signal to an external app?

Rivers, roads, and rail are far more important for navigation than landmarks. Are those reproduced accurately?

How’s the ATC interface? Can I do VFR touch-and-gos with all appropriate calls?

The TechCrunch piece talks about that. Seems flight planning is pretty basic/automated. Seems like one of the things that will get upgraded post-launch, if this does well.

Yeah, ok. This may not yet be for me:

[T]he virtual air traffic control often doesn’t use standard phraseology, for example, or fails to hand you off to the right departure control when you leave a major airport, for example.

As of now, the flight planning features are pretty basic. For visual flights, you can go direct or VOR to VOR, and that’s it. For IFR flights, you choose low or high-altitude airways. You can’t really adjust any of these, just accept what the simulator gives you. That’s not really how flight planning works (at the very least you would want to take the local weather into account), so it would be nice if you could customize your route a bit more. Microsoft partnered with NavBlue for airspace data, though the built-in maps don’t do much with this data and don’t even show you the vertical boundaries of the airspace you are in.

Live traffic works well, but none of the general aviation traffic around my local airports seems to show up, even though Microsoft partner FlightAware shows it.

Seems like this is going to be a toy. You’ll fly around and look at pretty scenery, do some landing or geolocation challenges, and try to gain skill in handling some of the aircraft they provide. And that’s fine: that actually sounds kind of great to me. I will definitely check out the Game Pass edition. But it’s not really a sim, and except for neat volumetric clouds and curr-gen lighting effects I’m still not sure what it offers over X-Plane.

Oh, NDAs are soooo frustrating.

I’m glad people will be able to try this for themselves on Game Pass for just a few bucks.

I will say that there’s an SDK here, so I imagine anything that can be integrated into X-Plane/P3D/FSX – such as hardcore Garmin Foreflight-level flight planning, real airline liveries, etc – will be there very quickly. That’s not based on any inside knowledge, just on the reality of the market and the announced support for Simconnect, etc. Plus, of course, they’ve said the basic sim functionality will grow over time.

If you look at the YouTube coverage, you’ll see there are full-on navigation systems in glass-cockpit planes (as well as VOR/ILS/etc in steam gauge planes), so the gripes above are more in the flight planning area, not actual navigation.

Just 20 days left… Just preordered a Reverb G2; I’d already been eyeing it based on preview coverage and the FS support sold me.

How does that compare to the other big players? Will it work with all your other VR games? I don’t have VR but am interested in how the ecosystem works as it would be frustrating to have a VR headset that doesn’t work with all VR games (if that’s even a thing?)

It’s good to see that they have added it to Steam as well.

It will be very interesting to see what VR performance is like, and if many visual compromises must be made to achieve anything close to a good fps in it.

The G2 is allegedly the only one that will work with this game, at least initially… :P

It’s a Windows Mixed Reality headset so is probably the most compatible, in a way…

I think it’s the only platform that you can use in Windows 10 Mixed Reality and with the MS Store (not that there’s much there).

For Steam and Oculus you’ll be installing additional layers to run those platforms - ‘Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR’ to run SteamVR, and then ‘ReVive’ to run Oculus via SteamVR.

This probably all works well enough, but in my experience with an Oculus, running non-native titles through additional translation layers is never optimal. The full embracing of OpenXR can’t come soon enough.

I’ve been using Oculus devices, which run both Oculus and Steam VR titles equally well. SteamVR is designed to work on basically all current devices; Oculus is hardware-specific but ReVive apparently works pretty well for running Oculus Store games on other devices. It’ll be a concern for me as I have quite a few Oculus Store games I’d like to keep access to.

The resolution on this headset is dramatically better than the Rift S. That was true for the first version of the Reverb as well, but poor optics meant the image was disappointing. This time they’re using Valve-designed lenses that are supposed to be much sharper. It also has a faster refresh rate and much better speakers. I can move the Rift S to my second PC for the multiplayer combat flight sim action against the kid that we’ve been threatening to do forever.

It isn’t still out, so no one knows for real!

The screen is supposed to be very high resolution, while the price is cheaper than the Index. They also seem to have fixed the tracking of the previous WMR headsets and now it has 4 cameras instead of 2. So in theory, it should be ideal for sims.

SteamVR support WMR headsets so all games with SteamVR will work.

I love that the J3 Cub is still on the cover - Piper Cub FTW!