Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

I agree with you 100%. The only answer I can think of is, “upgraded system requirements,” every update. I can understand that, at least a little.

I’ve gotten in the habit of checking to make sure everything I have loaded is updated each major patch they put out.

I think they probably want to keep the base hard drive fingerprint smaller, which I appreciate. MSFS is pretty much the only game on my SSD and it just keeps getting bigger because I keep downloading all the world updates. What I should do instead is only download the part of the world I want to explore next.

I usually go to the marketplace and look at the “free” options and download them all. But be warned, among those free options is an airport, and it is FREAKING HUGE. It’s a lot of Gigs of hard drive space just for that free airport.

Yeah the huge disk footprint is the reason I don’t usually download any of that stuff. It all looks the same from FL410 anyway!

Finally got round to doing the France bush trip. The landscape near the Pyrennees is real purty in sim.

Don’t be embarrassed. I work on this thing, now, for a living, and I totally forgot to download both WU4 and WU5 content for a while when each came out. 😳

It is pretty counter-intuitive.

Pretty much. The only stuff that’s really streamed IIRC is the global imagery and (I think) some land class information. (I’m not sure about vector data.) All of the 3D models for POI and such are on your local machine, and that and other related data is mostly what you download as part of the free updates from the Marketplace.

To be honest, I’m not sure myself why this one was, eg 5GB of content for everyone, and then another 5GB for marketplace content. I might ask around.

Anyone tempted by the new DC-6 by PMDG? It looks like a fun plane to fly, and very detailed too. I also appreciate all the fine-grained realism controls and artificial flight engineer too.

I’ve been holding out for their 737 but this might be too good to miss.

Fantastic shots :O

I got it; got caught up in the hype, really, though as well as just liking all the instrumentation, I have a use case for it in FSE too. The flight engineer functionality will really be my friend, I think.

I haven’t fired it up yet - I’m gonna work through the videos first, and I assume I’ll need to take notes, so it could be a week or two :)

Nice! I’d like to hear your thoughts when you’ve had a play around with it. Yeah it does look like a hell of a beast to tame doesn’t it? Apparently PMDG’s tutorial videos are pretty good.

Will do! It’s funny, modern airliners don’t appeal to me at all - I haven’t even sat in the cockpit of one in-game. So there is hype at play for sure ;)

Yes, I’ve just watched four of the PDMG tutorials so far - one to three, and then a quick look at Take Off (number nine!). Twenty tutorial videos alone, it’s going to be a trip.

Heh, well, the modern airliners will seem easy after you’ve mastered the DC-6!

I haven’t bought it for MSFS yet, but I have their P3D version of it and I love that thing. It’s very rewarding to fly, especially with the automated engineer off, but even with him on it’s good fun. I don’t usually go in for big planes, but I loved flying the PMDG 6 or the A2A Connie on vintage routes. FL200-250 with those big radials humming. Mmhmm.

One thing is for sure, she looks intimidating! And gorgeous!

@Pedro I’m gonna have to start saving up for a Twin Otter soon enough in FSE. It sounds like they are getting close. Some recent shots of just one version with floats:

Made it through the Pyrennees. Not quite as spectacular as Patagonia, but very picturesque. But, man, that landing at Castillon de la Laquette is hairy. Like Courchevel, it’s on the side of a mountain in a relatively narrow valley, but it’s also a grass strip, so hard to find.

I’ve started reading this in order to prepare my mind and body. Not the same plane but similar technology level, with talk of gustlocks and other such estoterica. It is good so far (they’re in Fiji with the Pearl Harbor attack just about to happen).

That Twin Otter looks gorgeous. I picked up the Britten-Norman Islander from Black Box which is a lot of fun and very easy to fly (I have my doubts about realism, you can really fling it around).

I need to crack on with this; sounds very enjoyable.

Nordic update showing me a lot of stuff I’ve never heard of or seen before. Looks great!

I might be wrong, but I think I recognized the spot where the last Mission Impossible movie had its climatic scene. Oh, in fact, isn’t it the one shown here in the little placeholder image before you play the video?

I didn’t post any screenshots, but I continued my Patagonia trip yesterday. While I was in the menu, I noticed that they added 5 new Bush trips in the Nordic update! Wow! I think they just doubled the number of official bush trips.

One thing that comes to mind during this Patagonia trip: holy shit, this beautiful land looks fairly inaccessible in a lot of places on the ground. I wonder if this is one case where enjoying this area via a flight is actually the best way to see this scenery.

They’re mostly (all?) discovery tours, I think, so if you count the discovery tours from previous updates it’s not quite so dramatic.

Are those in a different menu in previous updates? Under Bush Trips, I only see these, as listed here from the fan wiki page:

Yeah, they didn’t get added as bush trips before. I think they just had their own tile in the interface. Not sure if they’re still accessible.