Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Nope, PC, too. When you hover over a knob with your mouse now you get a popup tootip that indicates you can hold the left button down to interact. Do that, then swing your mouse right and left and you turn the knob. Release the left button when you’re done.

Awesome addition and very good to know!

Does anyone know why MSFS doesn’t properly import my flight plans? I’ll create a plan using Navigraph or Simbrief, import it into MSFS, and the result is almost always different. Usually it will create a plan that is more or less the same but on a parallel airway or something.

At first I thought it was because it uses Navblue data, but it isn’t like it isn’t aware of the waypoints I’ve selected. They’re there, the game just chose to use different ones. Plus, I use Navigraph to update the sim data anyway.

So what’s going on?

No clue. But I do know after you guys mentioned Navigraph I went in search of how-to’s on integration and stumbled across this. I’m still not sure if this means it updates MSFS with newer Navigraph data or what, however. But perhaps it’s possible the two are out of whack, thus MSFS changing things when you import?

From here:

I was looking at this:

Thanks mate. Yeah, that’s what I do, and I definitely use the standalone thing specifically for MSFS. Maybe it isn’t working. But the annoying thing is the waypoints are there, in the game. I can even re-plot it myself after importing the plan. I just don’t know why the game doesn’t use the exact plan I import.

That’s interesting. Assuming the AIRAC version you’re using for your flight plan matches that which you have installed in MSFS, it should for the most part “just work”, unless I’m missing something. There are a few things in the full set of Navigraph data that aren’t in the stuff that gets loaded into MSFS, but waypoints and airways should be fine, I’m pretty sure.

Do you have a sample .pln file you can give me that loads incorrectly in the sim? DM here is fine if you don’t want to paste the whole thing.

Actually I’m on a flight right now where it’s happened. I’ll just post here in case anyone else feels like checking it out. From Navigraph:

EKBI/09 RIDS7B RIDSI L975 ODN M602 ROBUS L983 TELMO Z491 KEKOV N195 SORIX SORI6N EPWA/WA412.I11-Z

However, after completing RIDS7B the aircraft turned south to ASBIL instead of proceeding to ODN. It’s as if it just “wanted” to take airway L983 instead of L975 then M602.

I’ll eventually converge with my original plan at ROBUS and then it will be on track again. This has been a pretty typical experience for me lately. What the hell?

Oh, and this time, before I clicked fly on the world map, I checked that the route precisely matched what I imported. It did at that time.

Big blog post for GDC. Not really about new stuff, but about the project itself.

Needed a new laptop and ended up with an Asus Zephyrus M16 being the best overall compromise between size, performance, cost, screen size, and wanting an integrated webcam.

I was a bit hesitant because I wanted something that would run MSFS, and it has a 3060 (would have preferred a 3070), but I gotta say the frame rate is pretty impressive running at 1920x1200. (And still good at 2560x1600, but my old eyes can’t see a lot of difference at the lower res and the increased frame rate’s nice.)

Now my obsession can follow me everwhere.**

** That has AC power available, at least

I have been using the PilotEdge free trial, and I think I’m going to sign up for a subscription. Talking to ATC (and ground control) is something I’ve really been struggling with IRL, and I think this has been helpful. They are also simulating AirVenture in Oshkosh, and I think it’d be fun to check that out.

I just bit the bullet and bought the DC-6 by PMDG. Managed to get it in the air! Totally didn’t know what to do then!

Go to https://www.timetableimages.com/ and get some ideas for vintage routes to run. :D

If you want do some old-school trans-oceanic flights, you can also do some celestial navigation now, with the help of this package that I helped a guy on the PMDG forums put together. :D

Also… did someone say VNAV? Here’s our latest little preview clip of the NXi, showing working VNAV path capture.

Clicky, because embedding doesn’t work for some reason.

Is that the first working VNAV in the sim?

Not quite, it’s in a few others. I’m pretty sure the VNAV in our CJ4 was the first, but off the top of my head you can also now find it in the WT G3000 (advisory only), the FBW A320, and the Aerosoft CRJ. I think the pimarc 430/530 will do advisory VNAV, but I’m not positive about that one.

Edit: Oops, not the 320 yet.

Oh I didn’t realise the A32NX has it now. I really ought to read the pull requests more often, heh.

Actually, my apologies. I know they’ve been working on it (and they’ve been talking to us about importing and adapting some of our logic from the CJ4), and I thought it had been released, but it looks like it’s still on an experimental branch:

Sorry bout that.

There’s also this branch, which seems to be the main one where they’re doing the flight planner work:

Edit: Here we go, they posted a status update a couple days ago, so we can get it straight from the plane’s mouth. The new FPM with LNAV is in “late development”, but they still have VNAV as “early stages”.

Wait a second, that’s on a Beechcraft Baron isn’t it? Those GPS’s look a LOT better than the stock in-game. I’m amazed at all the progress with the different GPS units and functions you guys have made.

Not sure if that was in the Baron or Bonanza, honestly. They look pretty much the same, at least in that view.

Thanks! I’m pretty stoked with how the NXi is looking.

Keep an eye out around the end of this month. It should be arriving in the Marketplace in the form of an officially supported public beta soon, and will be a drop-in replacement for the stock G1000.

(It will eventually become the stock 1000, but going through the Marketplace lets us get it in peoples’ hands sooner and iterate on it faster than if we were tied to the core sim release cycles.)

As long as I’m sharing progress shots, here are two other little ones we recently released. The first is one of the most asked-for features we’ve had: accurate implementation of “direct enter enter” to go direct to a future waypoint in your flight plan.

(Notice, also, the lack of any fake USR waypoints there.)

And, of course, once you’ve done that you need to be able to resume your course… so here’s a pretty awesome looking course resumption. Check that turn anticipation!