Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Hell yeah!!! Just grabbed it.

Grabbing those now!

How do I turn off the floating button information when I mouse over things in flight or menu? Is this because I have a gamepad plugged in? As an example if I mouse over anything in flight itā€™s telling me the keyboard keys like I need to know them somehow. Itā€™s driving me insane.

Got up early this morning to check it out before work. The damn thing is conisistently hanging at the load screen between the world map and actually flying, at least in an X Cub out of EGLC. Community folder cleared, World Update and Orbx pack updated, no traffic, no real time weather. Managed to get it to load into KJFK in an Icon.

Edit: Think Iā€™ll uninstall Orbx and see if that works. Might have been an unrelated update.

Edit 2: Yup, Orbx conflict.

Also, it seems you canā€™t press ESC to resume any more?

On the plus side, Iā€™m getting 75-80fps in downtown Manhattan at 1440p Ultra. Slightly lower average in London, and much less consistent, but still mostly above 70.

You have to re-map ESC!

General Options ā†’ Accessibility ā†’ Cockpit Interaction System ā†’ Legacy helps a bit.

Edit: also, maybe this, if itā€™s still a bit much:

Turn ā€œMenu Tooltipsā€ and ā€œInstrument Name Tooltipsā€ off.

One cool thing is that it generates a vfr flight plan for you now instead of point-to-point. Not 100% sure that this matches up to the map in-flight though.

My GPU temperature is hitting 95C on the title screen though, concerning :(

Oh, nice, does that mean we can programme in approaches for VFR now?

Edit: Looking at that screengrab, maybe not, but it seems like it will line you up for a straight approach anyway?

Well I finally got on after a NINE HOUR download process. Things seemed to be OK after I enabled the legacy mouse interaction option. I definitely get more frames now, but the effect is much more pronounced in external view. Internal view didnā€™t improve much at all.

In my single test flight this morning I didnā€™t see any external aircraft lights - mine or anyone elseā€™s. Can anyone confirm?

It does! Very close to the runway though.

My cameras are all messed up (I never remapped external cameras after getting my stick) so I can only show you this - they seem to be ok.

Thanks. How about beacon, nav lights etc? None of mine worked.

Thanks, weā€™re stoked. Lots of work still to do, but I think itā€™s a great start.

Like @Pedro said, this is the new control systemā€¦ Iā€™d encourage folks to give it a try before turning ā€œLegacyā€ on, though. I hated it at first, but once I built new muscle memory I liked it pretty well except for a few things. Itā€™s nice being able to lock a knob and just swing your mouse back and forth to change it, without losing focus on it even with TrackIR.

(Having to use two clicks to push something like heading sync is a little annoying, and though you can hide the tooltips like Pedro said, you canā€™t hide the blue highlights, which kinda bug me.)

But it wonā€™t be for everyone. Legacy is still there. :)

External lights working now. Must have been one of those things.

Anyone around right now, log into Heathrow and look at the absolute state of it, haha. Or any large airport I imagine.

I had a weird moment last night when I got everything downloaded. I flopped down above central Karachi just to test the game. This is a DENSE city with small buildings in every direction. I did have Live time and Weather turned on. It was okay for about 4 minutes, and then suddenly the game started hanging for 10 seconds, and then played a few frames, and then hung for about 2 minutes before a few frames, and then it hung for so long, I just killed the game using Task Manager.

Not sure what was going on there. Anyway, I fired up the game again, and continued my Russian trip, and everything looks and feels a lot smoother and extra snappy, and for some reason my plane feels like itā€™s flying faster! Much faster. Does anyone else get that sensation?

Anyway, really looking forward to exploring some of the new ā€œDiscoverā€ events and other things tonight, including the new tutorials maybe. I normally cringe at Tutorials, but I want to give these a chance.

SU5 seems pretty solid for desktop frame rates. At 1440p, My 2080 pretty much sticks at 60fps in photogrammetry areas. 4K is tougher, though I could imagine itā€™d do 30fps no problem.

VR still a bit of a mess, though. Not really seeing any improvement in frames there, which means Iā€™m not able to dial up the settings to try to get things a bit less blurry. I guess itā€™ll be 2d flying for the foreseeable future.

Digital Foundry looking at Series X and S. Sounds like they did a great job with the port to consoles.

Text article:

Is there a trick to the ā€œLockā€ mode? No matter what I try, I cannot get this behaviour to work for the mouse:

• Once highlighted, you can interact with the instrument:
    • If the instrument is simple (buttons, 2 positions switches), tapping Xbox Controller A or Mouse left button will interact with it.
      If the instrument is complex (knobs, leversā€¦), tapping Xbox Controller A or holding Mouse left button will lock on it.
    • Once locked on an instrument, you can:
      • Use primary (Xbox Controller A/ Mouse left button), secondary (Xbox Controller X/ Mouse right button) or tertiary (Xbox Controller Y/ Mouse middle button) interactions.
      • Increase/ decrease the instrument (Xbox Controller LT/ RT or Mouse wheel)
      • Use gestures (Xbox Controller left stick or Mouse movements)
      • Unlock the instrument (Xbox Controller B or release Mouse left button)

Shouldnā€™t be any trick if you have it enabled. One thing to do would be to go to your controls mapping and reset the mouse to the default configuration. I had to do that in my retail copy to get it working for me for some reason.

That worked! Thanks.

Speaking of mouse controls, setting it back to default has made scrolling to the edge of the screen move my view around, which I switched off previously but have forgotten how. Whatā€™s the setting for that?