Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Decided to take a flight over DC at night with DX12 enabled and it was working well for me (5900/3080) ASIDE from what appears to be a pop-in issue that caused the occasional hitch which doesn’t exist in DX11. Also, the CPU was definitely working harder.

The $59.99 collection has EVERYTHING. It’s by far the best deal if you want 3 or more of the individual planes.

The base air racing expansion includes one of each class, and multiple colors of the included plane.

I’m just amazed I have a hiqh quality P-51A that didn’t come from some guy in a garage.

Some really nice updates to the NXi mod:

I did not know that, thanks for that explanation. Have you tried the races yet?

Oooh, awesome!! I don’t think @MarchHare can post in this thread due to reasons so I’m glad to see they are still working hard.

First full flight with my DC-6 since the update, over an hour EGLL to LFPG, and a CTD two seconds after touchdown. I might be done with this game for a while.

Just a couple. It’s fun, but I wish these idiots would stop running into me! Gonna try VR and see how that is.

The new jet, F/A-18E, is a joy, but it behaves really weird at low airspeed. Not at all how I’ve been led to believe a fifteen ton military jet with fly by wire flight controls should behave.

I’m glad they added IFR navigation lessons, but is it just me or is the IFR approach one broken. It seem no matter how well I follow the glideslope the second I touch down I get a “watch out” and the mission fails.

Also I seem to have this new bug where randomly the yoke turns full left for a second regardless of my actual input. Really makes things challenging.

After recalibrating my yoke the sudden left turns seems to have stopped.

I took the DA40NG for a spin around Hong Kong. The live weather gave me some rough winds and stormy looking clouds. The “option 3” wind indication in the G1000 was showing in the 20s most of the time and lots of turbulence from thick looking scattered clouds at maybe 2000-2500. It was gorgeous.

After circumnavigating the island a few times I headed inland and picked an airport I never heard of to land at. VHSK. Just under 6000ft of asphalt. In the middle of a dense urban area. I flew over it in disbelief, but decided to give it a try anyway. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures since it was all hands on the controls. I did skid off the runway after touchdown but managed to bring the thing to a stop before hitting anything.

I looked around and nobody saw. In fact, there was nobody at the airport at all. Nobody to direct me to parking, and shutting down the plan didn’t end the flight. So, what the heck, might at well try a short (for me) takeoff right into an apartment building too. As I a bit low on fuel I hit ctrl-R, only moments after did I realize this would maximize my weight. Oh well. Using the glass cockpit I looked up the Vy since I would need it. I managed to clear the buildings and decided to head back to the ample runway of Hong Kong International. Actually made one of my best approaches and landings, though I still use the pattern nav guide to do so.

Sadly again didn’t take any pictures. I need to figure out if I can a yoke button to the game bar screenshot. Reaching over to this win+alt+printscreen in the middle of a landing is not always practical, and “active pause” can be risky.

What a fun plane to fly.

I love the big windshields on the Diamond aircraft. The Cessna 152 and 172 feel so confining compared to the DA40NG.

Ending that flight and starting a new one flying out of VHSK, it doesn’t look quite like where I made my first landing. Where did I land? Hmm, maybe the flight didn’t end because I wasn’t actually at the airport. Wouldn’t be the first time.

I really enjoy playing “where is it dawn”.

Getting ready for takeoff in from Doha.

Taxiing past the big birds.

Flew around a bit until quite abruptly the golden hour effect ended.

So next I moved on to flying out of Jerusalem.

It’s hard to see in the center, but that’s the Temple Mount at sunrise.

The dead sea at dawn.

@Thrag, you’re making me wish I had an ultra-wide monitor just so I can look at your screenshots in all their true glory.

I use the drop down fuel option from the in-flight menu bar (the white one when you move your mouse), you can move the slider to where you want your fuel level. I had to do that quite a bit while flying for neofly to get passenger weights right for takeoff.

Finally getting the hang of using the G1000 and doing IFR flights. Did an evening flight from Gibraltar to Tangier. Some lovely clouds at sunset.

Most of the rest of the flight was dark and in the clouds which was a nice IFR test. I got a little lost on approach by foolishly asking ATC for vectors. When I finally got on track for the approach I was way way high of the glideslope. I landed, but it wasn’t exactly an ILS landing. Basically I plummeted toward the ground, did a huge nose up to bleed enough speed to drop flaps, and landed at the very end of the runway.

After that I decided to find another place where it was around dawn, so I flew out of Islamabad to a little airport up north of it at the foot of the mountains. It was super hazy, and maybe still before dawn, so I had to file an IFR plan to be allowed to take off. I even managed to do it completely via the Garmin in the plane!

Once I got above the haze things got real pretty. A ridgeline almost peeking through the haze.

Though it’s mostly clear to my left.

The diamond really has a great cockpit for sightseeing.

Got my autopilot all dialed in.

The mighty Indus river

I so love the clouds in this game.

ATC: “please expedite your descent”.
Me: Ummm, mountain?

So the mountain right in front of me was indeed below 5300 feet it seemed, however I decided to vector around the next one despite ATC’s instructions.

Himalayas in the distance.

Processing: Microsoft Flight Simulator - 1.21.13.0 11_23_2021 7_46_25 PM.jxr…

My next dilemma was that this airport had no IFR or ILS approaches. In the airport info in waypoint mode no frequencies for nav aids listed at all. However when I requested a landing I was told it’s IFR only so I couldn’t land. Thankfully there’s the “disable weather restriction” option.

Lining up for landing

One last view of the scenery.

And touchdown.

With the release of Farming Sim 22, I finally caved and got myself a Stream Deck for that, MSFS, and anything else it might be useful on. If anyone else here has one, please post your favourite profiles and/or places to find them.

For the PMDG DC-6 lovers looking for that FPS boost in cockpit.

You need to go to Options → General Options → Developers and set the Developer Mode to ON and save,

Then when you load the plane from the developer menu select Options use NanoVg for XML gauges.

Please note again that this is experimental so crashes or not correct flying experience might occur

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-dc-6-cloudmaster-forum/153213-has-the-rendering-pipeline-been-re-enabled

It works wonderfully. The only bug I spotted was oversized numerals on the radios and DME but that’s insignificant. It’s really a joy to fly now with the increased frame rate.

I just ask here when I need something. That led to a few discord’s as well for various tools to add to the buttons. Also a tip, anything you put on your quick launch bar can also be referenced in a stream deck button.

https://www.reddit.com/r/streamdeckprofiles/

So does anyone play regularly with VR or tired playing with the new VR controller support?