Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

I think there is an unlimited fuel option, isn’t there? Or if not, there’s an instant refuel binding you can use.

Look at that! Many thanks :)

Flying a faster plane has got me feeling that actually I’d be fine with another upgrade. I was thinking that a 5600/3070 combo would be just fine for this generation, but well… maybe those Zen 3 CPUs and 4xxx cards have a place after all…

Flight Simulator is a demanding beast, though the new optimizations helped a lot when the Series X version came out, since those carried over to the PC too. It used to be even more demanding.

Just don’t go to China.

I made the mistake of looking up Tienman mountain because of the gorgeous pictures online. In Flight Simulator, like for most Chinese natural tourist destinations, it looks like a ridiculous joke. Bing maps must not work in China at all! :)

I think it’s more a question of the elevation data not being granular enough and how the sim handles it. It’s just not good at cliffs and steep slopes. They had to do a manual pass of the Alps to make them look OK

Anyone know if there’s an expectation for DLSS at some point?

@Alistair, it’s on the request list, but apparently it might not be the best method for optimizing due to the way MSFS renders. Big discussion on the official forum.

So there’s a super-cool fictional add-on that recreates the Citadel on Gallifrey from Doctor Who in the desert. It’s incredibly massive, and really fun to fly around. (And challenging to land on – if you go off the runway, you fall into the pit.

whoaaaaa!

I’ve also now updated both of the airports I created, if you’re looking for something short to practice your STOL landings on. (Darwin airport link a few posts up.)

Cool. Thanks!

@jpinard, dude, thank you for the awesome review on Majerle. :) I’ve had over 1,000 downloads between the two airports and you’re the one person who was kind enough to leave a (hilarious) review. I’m pretty sure that the 5-star rating that you gave Majerle has something to do with it having double the downloads of Darwin, even though Darwin was more work! (I now hate electric poles.)

When I get myself back together I’ll be on to download Darwin and give it the review it deserves :)

I picked this up in the Steam sale. Had a chance to dig in some today. I started with a little sight-seeing. Then I worked my way through some of the training. Next I tried to land on the airstrip on Blakely Island where I had my honeymoon. I crashed on the beach short of the runway. Oops!

Then I poked around looking for interesting addons. I found Bushtalk Radio, which I’m super excited about. That led to some additional sight-seeing in order to hear some “guided tours”.

Then I decided to give Neofly a try, but before trying a flight, I decided to verify that I could actually land with the starter plane. So I found a mission in Neofly and tried it out without actually hooking up to Neofly. I almost pulled this off, nosing into the runway. At least I’m improving!

Then I discovered the Twitch Flying Lessons (here and here), where an actual flight instructor streams what are essentially a recreation of real lessons. I watched one lesson, enjoyed it a lot, and learned a number of things. I’m looking forward to continuing that.

All in all, a very satisfying use of my vacation day.

It’s a great sim for that. Miles above the last iteration of it in that there are times when it looks … real.

It sounds like you’re enjoying it so far!

Extended unofficial Twin Otter video:

So, this happened:

I’m mostly very happy with it, subject to the typical caveats about (hopefully only initial) yoke stickiness and lack of friction on the throttle levers, the latter doesn’t bother me at all. However I do seem to be getting some weird phantom signals. Every so often I’ll be flying along and the plane will just suddenly and briefly roll sharply to the right with no input. Also, usually right after take-off, I will sometimes get a sharp downward pitch for a while, which is sometimes enough to crash the plane and is making me leery of doing eg Neofly with the yoke. The latter might be a trim wheel issue but I usually check that it’s neutral before taking off. I’ve double checked that there aren’t any conflicting elevator inputs, so I’m at a loss to explain it unless there’s something wrong with the sensors.

Those, to me, would be sufficient reason to disassemble the thing, spray WD40 contact spray at the pots, reassemble, test the thing and then proceed to throw it in the trash.

Well, I’m still testing it out and haven’t ruled out some funkiness in either my controls setup or the sim itself, especially given my past experience with weird control issues (the whole “reset mouse input to default” thing after I think SU5 was maddening) . But, yeah, if I can’t resolve it soon I’m going to return it for a replacement.

Have you tried bringing up the sensitivity curves in the control settings and watching them while you experiment with the yoke? See if anything unexpected happens. Have you set any deadzones? Also do you have another sim on hand you can test with?

I did mess around with sensitivity and deadzones, didn’t seem to make a difference. Trying another sim is a good idea. Will have to reinstall DCS. Also, does the MSFS dev console have a way to display the readings of axes while flying?

Does it happen in the test part of the windows “set up usb game controllers” screen too? That’s one way to test directly outside of the game.

I have a honeycomb alpha that is acting up in a similar way. When I move the yoke in and out it sometimes suddenly goes full left. I’m waiting to hear from their customer support to RMA it.