Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Has anyone played this on Cloud Streaming? If so, how does it play with just a controller since I don’t think Keyboard & Joystick options are active yet.

My old Alienware Alpha would cry if I ran this natively.

Controller is certainly fine for basic flight. Stick, throttle, rudder… landing gear… er, trim… all ok.

I played it briefly on cloud streaming. It ran fine! It’s a great way to play the game. (Keep in mind I play it using a controller on my PC anyway, so it’s no different).

Anyone fly with a fancy cockpit chair that they’d reccomend? I’ve got a wonderful control setup with honeycomb alpha and bravo units but it’s cramped into an small L shaped desk where they are jammed up against each other. Usable but not ideal. Especially now that I fly mainly in VR making me untethered to a monitor, I keep coming back to the idea of a dedicated chair with adjustable controller mounts.

Just finished a very pleasant two hour group flight with most of us in the PMDG 737. I’m tired so won’t say much now, but I just wanted to say that it is by far the most accomplished aircraft yet released for the sim. Just a week after Just Flight raised the bar with their 146, PMDG have raised it way beyond even that. The sheer number of config options, the graphics, the sounds, the custom ground equipment, even the autopilot works better than any other I’ve used. It’s an absolutely incredible package.

Remember that free F-22 from Top Mach? It’s probably the best F-22 for MSFS, and it’s free.

Turns out they’re also making a premium version, which should launch relatively soon. (The freeware version will still be around/supported).

https://www.topmachstudios.com/

How does one get hold of it…? Can’t tell from the site.

Well look at that :) Thanks.

I have some projects I need to wrap up in the next two days… My self-reward is gonna be either the PMDG 737 or the MilViz Cessna 310R.

Or probably both.

Cessna 310 because it was the second plane I ever got to take the controls of IRL, after a Mooney 231. Already have the third (F-15D), so then I’ll just need Carenado to do an MSFS version of the T-34 and I have all my real planes.

I haven’t flown a real 737, but i did fly FlightSafety’s full-motion cockpit simulator, which was built using the cockpit of the 737 that Aloha Airlines struck off after the roof ripped off.

And now I’ve finally managed to do my first flight where everything went according to plan. Helps that it was the very simple KTUS to KLAX route, with a dead straight approach. I’ve finally got the start-up procedure nailed down too. I’m still struggling a bit with integrating SIDs and STARs into my flight plans when they’re not perfectly aligned with a transition. Haven’t quite worked out how to deal with discontinuities properly.

Discontinuities can generally just be deleted, or alternatively you can pick up the following waypoint and insert it where the discontinuity is, effectively stitching together the flight plan.

What… you don’t want to do what this guy did?

So, after a couple of flights that went smoothly I am again befuddled. I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to do KDEN-KORD properly. There don’t seem to be any STARs for any of the runways I try, and although I can program an RNAV approach, as I understand it the vertical guidance isn’t implemented in the A32NX and certainly it didn’t work when I flew it, so had to do it manually. As far as I can tell my SimBrief route is as it is flown in real life, dumping me over Lake Michigan at FYTTE7, but I can’t seem to get an approach from there. Is it just vectored by ATC at that point?

Yeah, sometimes it’s like that; my understanding is that in real life you’d sometimes expect to be vectored by ATC at the end of a STAR. Your MCDU probably has a (vectors) leg in there somewhere? At that point you lose lateral navigation and, in lieu of any actual ATC, you just have to vector yourself to the approach fix. A quick and dirty workaround would be overwriting the (vectors) leg with the next waypoint, so you can resume lateral navigation.

I don’t fly the A32NX any more but as I recall VNAV isn’t fully implemented yet so I wouldn’t be surprised if you can’t use it. So yes, I’m afraid that does mean managing altitude yourself. The “selected altitude” mode in the Airbus does make it pretty easy at least.

Time for World Update IX today.

World Update IX includes:

• Four handcrafted airports:
    • Palermo Airport (LICJ) in Sicily
    • Sondrio Airport (LILO) in the southern Tyrol
    • Marina di Campo Airport (LIRJ) on Elba Island
    • Bolanzo Airport (LIPB) in the southern Tyrol
  • Enhanced detail of 100 other airports
  • 94 points of interest in Italy
  • 11 points of interest in Malta
  • Three bush trips
  • Three discovery flights
  • Three new landing challenges.

As far as I can tell, no trailer yet.

Where is that screenshot from, anyone know? Is that Malta?

Looks like Venice.

Seriously, couldn’t he have purchased a real (piston) plane for the money he sank into that?

So does FS actually interface with all those controls and switches and displays?

It looks it.

Edit: looks like it’s based off this.