Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

So the creative leads on MSFS really don’t want combat associated with MSFS. That’s one reason that even historic aircraft can’t represent weapons if they’re in the MSFS marketplace. (The ESRB is reasonable enough that I doubt a gun on a P-38 that doesn’t do anything would lose them their E rating.) I once brought up the idea of bringing back CFS down the road to an MSFS team member and you’d think I’d just threatened a puppy from the reaction I got.

But wow, they’ve taken that to an extreme. MENTIONING air combat is claimed to be listed in the forum TOS under Obscene / Vulgar or Inappropriate Language and/or Images

Okay, the forum moderator said this:

Falls under this:

This interpretation is just stupid dumb. I get that they’re trying to be inclusive, but shutting down a topic about Top Gun when they are doing a Top Gun add-on because people asked about combat is… well, just stupid dumb.

Saying “I wish the Ghost of Kyiv was real, I want those Russki bastards blown out of the sky” would be inappropriate for their forum and would fall under “glorifying violence.” Asking “Will we get combat in this expansion about an air combat movie?” being a topic-closing TOS offense is… stupid dumb.

I mean, are game journalists still a thing? Because “Microsoft about to release add-on about Top Gun, forbids mentioning existence of air combat” seems like it would make an amusing story for Kotaku or The Verge or something. :)

That’s okay. I’m sure Top Gun Maverick will replace all the weapons with harsh language…

Oh, wait, that’s against the forum TOS, too.

I loaded up Venice Discovery Flight, which took longer to load than anything has ever taken to load in this game so far for me. It looks amazing (maxed out terrain and object detail), even at 1080p. But I can’t quite hit 30 frames per second flying over this city. And that’s when my CPU is fresh. It quickly hits 98C and starts throttling, and I can’t even hit 19 fps then. Ouch!

It really looks amazing though. The amount of detail in this city is so cool. Looks like Photogrammetry is rock star here.

I am most likely going to get Game Pass when I get my new PC (hopefully). I assume the Game Pass – non cloud streaming version – will still let me use mods?

Yes it will.

I was going to put buying new planes on hiatus for a while, because I have so many I’ve barely flown and I have a PMDG 737 to learn, but the Milviz (Cessna) C310R finally came to OrbX and I couldn’t resist. This was the second plane I ever flew in real life.

That was nearly 30 years ago, so my memories aren’t super-clear, but I do remember how it looked from the cockpit, and how it was difficult to keep right at 2,000 feet hand-flying, and those were right on. Audio’s amazing, and I love the system simulation, with state saved between flights and wear and tear. This is definitely going to be my go-to twin.

Now I just need a Beech T-34 and I’ll have all four planes I’ve flown IRL. (Or five if you count about a minute holding the controls in a Bonanza. :) )

So here she is in all her glory, the PMDG 737-700 on a flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco:

Onboarding the pax:

Gratuitous cockpit shot:

Climbing out:

Cruising at FL400 above the western coast:

Descent:

Shutdown:

Great looking instrumentation! How did she fly? I think you mentioned you were moving up to this platform. How is the learning curve so far?

Oh, I already have hours and hours in the Zibo 737 for XPlane, so it was no bother at all. If you’ve flown the A32NX by FlyByWire a lot of those skills will be transferable.

As for how she flies - absolutely gloriously. As far as someone with zero real life flight hours can ever say, she seems to handle amazingly well. Definitely feels like flying a heavy, but well engineered jet. And I really can’t stress enough how comprehensive the package is altogether, the number of configuration options is just remarkable.

I tend to perk up and pay attention when I see a news story about people with little to no flying experience doing emergency landings. You’d be surprised how often that actually happens.

So you never know, you might be needed one day!

That part showing the jet flying low over scenery looks awesome. I wonder if they’ll stream in a bigger area of scenery if you’re in a jet? So you don’t run into areas you haven’t streamed in yet.

It’s about a 5GB install.

The ‘experimental’ mission looks awesome.

Just when I was saying there’s no real need for a new GPU generation :)

The Milviz 310 is by far my favorite GA plane in FS2020 displacing the Carenado Mooney. The level of detail in the wear and tear makes me care about not running the engines like I would a rental car and the handling makes it a joy to hand fly. Prior to buying this plane, I assumed the reserve tanks were the tip tanks but nope, those are the main tanks. Very interesting dynamics when you fly with fuel in the mains and none in the reserves.

I got to tag along as a passenger when a friend was getting his commercial license. The acceleration from recovering from stalls and going around from aborted landings was profound. It was like being in a hot rod when the throttles were gunned forward unlike the anemic performance from say 150 or 172.

I am a long ways off from being able to fly these jets. Which is good since I can’t afford them.

Top Gun expansion is so much fun. I took off from the awesome Homey/Area 51 scenery add-on and flew to Bradley airport in Connecticut, 37 minutes and 10 seconds including taxiing to parking. :) Mach 10 at 275K feet, baby! Still had 60% of my gas left, too.

The external view in VR is pretty breathtaking up there.

I’m really annoyed the carrier is only available in the Top Gun landing challenge. Was really hoping that would be available in free flight so I could land other planes on it, and so that third-party add-on makers could make their carriers and helicopter-landable ships move. (Right now they have to fake ship landing by putting a ship model on top of a ship-shaped terraform mesa.)

Yeah. That felt pretty high :) It was weird to me that you can be high enough to see the curve of the Earth but you can still see individual fields below.