Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

It’s arrived! Bigger than it looks in the videos. Might have to think about some sort of mounting situation I’ve got so much kit now, but I haven’t got much space in my PC room. Now that I basically don’t need to use the keyboard and mouse for anything while flying, I wonder if I can repurpose my racing wheel mount, which has been gathering dust. Conceivably the pedals would even work for rudder.

Got the X-Touch set up to do the FCU and interior lights on the A320 and successfully completed my first flight (despite a weird lack of METAR data for the destination). It’s definitely more faff than the Stream Deck, and I still haven’t managed to get the on-screen gauge working, so I have to memorise what everything does until I get an overlay printed, but it’s great to be freed from the mouse for those knobs. I ended up using it for the MCDU this time but I could now do a whole flight just using physical instruments only.

Edit: Figured out how to get the labels on the gauge. Still not showing the LED status, but I can just look at the device for that.

XTouch

I can now get the leds to light up on the gauge! But I have to look up the sim variables manually. And now they’re not showing on the device. But I have an idea why that is, will test tomorrow.

TFW you realise the runway in your flight plan doesn’t exist any more:

Heh. Is that 18R at ROAH? According to Wiki it was completed in 2020 so this may be a case of Flight Sim being very slow to catch up!

Okinawa?

Yes it is.

Looks like someone modded in the runway. Might have to install that if A Pilot’s LIfe is going to keep sending me there.

https://flightsim.to/file/5768/naha-bouhatei

In other news, I did indeed troll my group on yesterday’s flight with my Hawk, not least because it appears as an A320 to anyone who doesn’t have the mod, so it probably made for some interesting sights.

Like any self-respecting new Hawk owner I have of course been flying the Mach loop all weekend - tremendous fun. Also the Lake District is only 100nm north of it, so I’ve been taking off from RAF Valley (EGOV), flying down to the loop, flying north to pootle about above the lakes, before finally returning to RAF Valley again. It’s a very fun way to spend an hour.

Liveries Mega Pack is back, sort of:

This makes me just think it’s splintering their pack. So you can customize what goes in it, but what if your buddy picks differently, etc. I know they’ll have the whole pack still available, but are there really that many people screaming their is too much in the pack and they want to pick and choose?

I think it’s more a way of monetising people who want the whole thing.

Picked up the 737-600 and have been watching videos in preparation for my first cold and dark flight. I hadn’t appreciated quite how much the Airbus simplifies and automates things until now. It’s going to be about the same step up in complexity (or at least things to memorise) as it was going from a Longitude to the A320.

Also, does anyone know any good resources for learning RPN scripting (preferably in a flight sim context)? There’s stuff I’d be able to code for the StreamDeck/X Touch if it were in something like Python but I’m still struggling with the syntax for RPN.

Any word on SU10? Was supposed to drop this week but so far nothing, no word from Asobo either.

Dev update finally dropped and said they’d have news “soon” on SU10 release.

They also said that this week’s marketplace update was delayed due to SU10 dependencies in the releases, so methinks they’d planned to have it out by today but something went awry.

Might be tied into rumored Nvidia driver updates to fix DX12 issues – they could be waiting on Nvidia to drop the next driver.

They said this week’s marketplace content would be released next Thursday, 9/22, so apparently they are at least planning to have SU10 out by then.

Managed to get the bird in the air, at least. Still need to figure out the autopilot though. And it seems like the SimBrief integration is a bit of a faff right now, so I’m not sure I’ll be flying this regularly in APL, though maybe when I fancy a change of pace. Hopefully when they release the EFB it will be a bit easier to import flight plans and other data.

By the way, if anyone else is considering going down the Stream Deck/X-Touch route, the Flight Sim And Other Stuff channel I linked upthread has a Discord now and the guy who made the AAO gauge for the X-Touch, Funatic, is very active there and very helpful.

I find the workflow quite optimized. I start APL2, hit the simbrief button there, generate my plan. Have the simbrief downloader running in the background, all the data gets automatically put into the right folders, all I have to do is enter origin and destination in my FMC and load the plan there.

Ah, that must be what I’m missing. I’m loath to have yet another app running while I’m simming, but it’s better than the alternative. How much of the other data entry does that enable you to (semi-)automate? Eg fuel/payload, the performance parameters.

For Fuel/Payload it’s still manual. Depending on my mood I go about it in different ways.

a) Sometimes I fill up and board via the FS ACTIONS > GROUND SERVICES menu, where I order the fuel truck, cargo service and set up pax boarding.
b) If I want a quick setup, I set the fuel on the FUEL menu, then go to the PAYLOAD menu and simply enter the ZFW from the briefing, it’ll automatically set values for PAX and cargo, they’ll not match simbrief exactly, but the total weight is what counts for performance, so I am not too bothered by that.

Yeah, I did b) for my previous flight. Still a bit of a pain compared to just doing the request in the FBW, but it’s manageable I suppose.