Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

That looks amazing.

German Cities update available now (in celebration of Gamescom):

40th Anniversary Edition (coming November 11th and free to anyone who owns Flight Simulator and also available with GamePass) will include:

• 4 classic commercial airports
  • 10 glider airports
  • 12 new aircraft
  • 14 heliports
  • 20 classic missions from the franchiseā€™s past

Also

So thatā€™s 8 aircraft (7 historic plus the A-310), I assume the other 4 are our gliders and helicopters?

Article says one of the four new airports is Meigs Field in Chicago, chosen because of its past association with Microsoft Flight Simulator. No mention of what the other three airports are.

Oooooh, anyone familiar with the series know what kind of missions they had in the past? Iā€™m always down for more objective-based gameplay.

Also, I hope the helicopter actor who played Airwolf is one of the 14 helicopters. (Wikipedia says it was the Bell 222A).

Unfortunately thatā€™s 14 heliports not helicopters.

Dā€™oh! Thatā€™sā€¦ not a lot of heliports.

As a kid I spent the summer of 83 in Bourges, France. My dad had a job there. One of the perks of the job was that we got to eat at the restaurant at the Bourges airport. So every day I would look out the window of this airport as small aircraft pulled gliders into the air behind them, and then unhooked in the air. And then youā€™d see gliders flying around until they landed.

I wonder if Bourges will be one of the glider airports being added? I canā€™t imagine thereā€™s that many glider airports in the world. Right?

I was curious about that, as I was surprised to see an EFB in the trailer. Maybe theyā€™re trying to do something approaching study level for once.

And not a lot of helicopters since itā€™s coming out of the ā€œ12 new aircraft.ā€ Iā€™m assuming weā€™ll get the 7 historic aircraft, the A-310, then three helicopters and one glider, since you can see three helicopters in the trailer. The little helicopter right at the start of the trailer, and then two different choppers starting 1:04 in (one looks like a big utility rescue chopper, and the other more the corporate/news chopper with an enclosed tail rotor).

In the past, heliports were helicopter only airports, no planes/jets. Iā€™m assuming the same here, meaning you can land/take off in most airports with a helicopter. But you can only do those actions at a heliport WITH a helicopter.

So ā€¦ not that horrible. There are already modded helos in-game so this will only add to their number.

HA! Iā€™ll believe that when I see it!

Actually, now that I think about it, they said when they first announced it that it was going to be a third party developer making it, so maybe.

Every single button, man that sounds like a lot of freaking work. Iā€™ve seen screenshots of those cockpits.

I bet helicopters should be really ideal to control with the controller, if they do a simplified control scheme. Iā€™m thinking of LHX, which I used to play in my college computer lab back in 1992.

Oh, itā€™s been done a number of times by now. The PMDG Boeings and the Fenix A320 certainly simulate everything except for maybe a handful of very minor things. My cynicism was directed at Asobo because their attempts to create airliners have been woeful.

However if @Ginger_Yellow is correct that itā€™s actually being developed by someone else then maybe it really will fulfil the promise.

Kinda bummed they did the Goose since Big Radials already has a nice payware version and theyā€™ve been a long-time supporter of the platform. Their Goose has been around long enough that itā€™s not like the PC-6, where it was already in development when MilViz announced theirs. (This Goose is from Inibuilds, so it should be nice.) Woulda been nice to see something different, like maybe an Albatross.

Did a quick flight in the new Junkers (soooo slow, but hey, all-metal plane from 1919, what do you expect?) around Bonn and Cologne and theyā€™ve really improved the photogrammetry a lot. I hope they continue to update the older photogrammetry areas.

London next please!

On a whim I picked up the Hawk by Just Flight. Itā€™s another great mod by the team and enormous fun to fly. I think Iā€™m going to bring it on the relaxing GA group flight my group is having tomorrow, just to troll everyone.

Just look at this little beauty:

By freaky coincidence, the Vergecast just did an episode all about the Stream Deck, including an interview with the developer of this MSFS add-on:

Meanwhile, I ended up ordering an X-Touch Mini, should be arriving later today. Knobs ahoy!

No Red Arrows livery?

There are three included, I prefer this one though.