Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Microsoft doesn’t care about how many PSVR headsets there are.

And I’m sure they know exactly how many PC headsets exist based on their failed VR headset launch last year.

Whatever happened to your “No VR then not for me?”

I am personally so disappointed in that news. VR adds everything to flight sims.

goes off into a corner to cry

Same; this goes from ‘day 1’ to wait and see. I can’t go back!

I’m surprised there isn’t some kind of open source kit that can take a non VR title like this and transform it into a VR experience based on your favorite VR hardware.

PC Gamer’s write-up:

That sky is to die for, but no vr, no sale for me.

I know, right? How could they? The thing that gets me is that hardly anybody called it out in the comments for the Ars article. The word of the VR flight sim god must be spread!

Day 1 sale for me.

I’ll be shocked if VR isn’t added at some point, but you’re talking about a niche within a niche, so I’m not surprised that they are working on making the “basic” experience perfect first.

Same. I have no interest in VR at the moment.

From that PC Gamer article:

Daaaaaaaamn. I’m not into flight sims, but I really want this game.

Imagine the potential if DCS had access to an engine like this. No more hand made maps, just a big ass globe from which you can choose any location to make a scenario or campaign.

I think you’re wrong. PSVR sales represent consumer uptake on this new technology. That they’ve been relatively strong means that removing the cost and complexity barriers for VR does dramatically increase consumers’ willingness to try it out.

They quote the guy specifically saying this version wont have vr.

The better your bandwidth, it says, the greater visual fidelity you’ll experience.

Ugh. This likely means I’m out until I move somewhere with less crappy Internet service.

Never mind the big Oculus uptick in the last few months due to Quest’s success, all of which will be PCVR-compatible come November.

(VR device shipments by vendor worldwide 2017-2019 | Statista)

Flight sims are already a small market, but I bet the Venn of that market with VR headset users is significant. Also keep in mind that the new Microsoft console is rumoured to support Oculus.

I know. It can certainly come later down the line. “This version” meant release version.

I’m pretty much a Sony console guy(or at least used to be, haven’t really played the console in months and months) but if Microsoft makes the Xbox Next the best way to play it, then that’s what it going to have to be.

Wow, I feel like I built my 2080 Ti rig for THIS game. Totally buying this.

It looks amazing but not for me. No VR is a huge bummer. The PC Gamer article also made it clear that you need a very fast internet connection to get the full effect. That basically rules out all of Australia. Reminds me of Google earth VR in that regard.

It’s nice that you can precache terrain for offline flying, but they also mentioned if you do that you lose a whole bunch of the cool features.