Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

For those not keeping track, here is this week’s MSFS dev update, including some screenshots from the in-progress closed alpha:

December 19th, 2019 – Development Update

POSTED BY: MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR TEAM

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Desktop-Screenshot-2019.12.12-23.27.41.0

Screenshot credit – U/TomMaverick7650

On behalf of the entire MSFS team, we wish you and your loved ones the very best this holiday season. As we bring 2019 to a close, we are incredibly grateful for everyone that has joined us on this adventure of developing the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator! We’ve taken some memorable steps with you in 2019, and we cannot wait to continue this adventure with you in 2020.

The best is yet to come!

MEDIA UPDATE

This week we’d like to spotlight a few user submitted screenshots from Tech Alpha!

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Technical-Alp

Screenshot credit – U/z32ands30

Screenshot credit – U/rwflush

Screenshot credit – U/NotoriousBPG

Screenshot credit – U/SebastianShain

Namibia.jpg

Screenshot credit – U/rwflush

Silverstone_50.png

Screenshot credit – U/NotoriousBPG

SDK UPDATE

• SDK – Preview Version release moved back to mid-January.
  • SDK – Official V1 release expected March 2020.

We’ve made great progress on the SDK in recent weeks and are confident that an initial preview version will be ready as early as mid-January. The preview version will allow interested 3rd party developers to have a first look at the SDK, provide feedback and send requests / wishes to help us prioritize the work moving forward (similar to the Tech Alpha process).This is by no means an official V1 release – we expect that to be ready March 2020.

FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

We’ve posted the first draft of the Feedback Snapshot in the Insider Area! This document is still being worked on so expect another update in a few weeks that contains additional information regarding the progress being made on each entry.

Next update – 01.09!

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Thanks for posting that @ShakesMcQueen

Ummmmmm… wow. For some reason, the embedded version won’t play in HD, but if you go to Nvidia Germany’s Facebook page, you can see it in HD. And I know we throw around terms like “photorealistic” a lot, but wow.

Nice. This is looking like it is going to be awesome.

I think the first 15 seconds have got to be just actual footage from an actual aircraft, and someone put “Microsoft Flight Simulator” message on top of it.

Do you have a link? I can’t find the page you’re talking about.

Any attempt to paste the Facebook URL just embeds the video. (Facebook sucks? This is my surprise face). So I’m linking to the Bing video page.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nvidia+flight+simulator&view=detail&mid=8D98CE5CE6EE1A5CEE498D98CE5CE6EE1A5CEE49&FORM=VIRE

yea, my eyes where desperate to find something to say “Aha, this is a videogame”. all I got are the controls on the plane, they look a bit weird, but I am still confused and think that could be real

I would think it would be discourse sucking more in this case, since it’s the thing choosing to auto-embed the video, no? Regardless, thank you, even though that Bing video won’t load for me right now for some reason (endless wheel turning…).

EDIT: Nevermind, clicking the “visit page” button there took me to the Facebook page. Damn, I am so in for this…maybe it’ll get me to finally upgrade my PC after like 8 years.

It seems more clear with this video. Stopping and looking at some of the frames as they are approaching the airport at the beginning, the trees definitely look like they are the game. Even earlier over the town if you freeze it the buildings look kind of like google earth in vr can look at times.

See the houses along the road at the bottom right (click for better view)?

The white truck in the bottom right clips through a tree. Other than that it could easily pass as go-pro footage…

It is amazing work. I wonder how much more they can improve before release. It could also be carefully selected areas that have been given extra love, or look better. :) I don’t care though it will still be better than X.

https://www.facebook.com/NVIDIAGeForceDE/videos/vb.162763437085770/2927990317252406/?type=3&theater

EDIT: To clarify the above, this

[a link](https://www.facebook.com/NVIDIAGeForceDE/videos/vb.162763437085770/2927990317252406/?type=3&theater)

creates a link text without the automatic embed

https://www.facebook.com/NVIDIAGeForceDE/videos/vb.162763437085770/2927990317252406/?type=3&theater

Microsoft Flight Simulator - 2019 Gameplay | Is this real life... 🤯 | By NVIDIA GeForce Deutschland | Facebook

Various ways to force a non-embed

I fear what this will do to those of us with data caps.

Ok, yeah, when I watch it in fullscreen, it’s really easy to see that it’s just a game, not real life. When it’s displayed in a smaller window, it was hard to spot those imperfections. They were pretty glaring imperfections too, now that I’ve seen it fullscreen.

Well, looks like seasons in the game are confirmed:

Holy shit.

Oh my!

Seasons were a feature they said “would come later”. Guess VR is closer than we think too?

More pretties…

Watching some previews… it seems wrong to waste a world like this on a flight sim :)