Middle of War: Earth Shadow - aka Batman Mordor Knight 2

I played it at NYCC today. I’m confident I will enjoy it as much as I have Mordor. Mordor has grown on me a lot in last few weeks, so we will see.

In the first one you survive and kill lots of enemies by using a lot of supernatural powers. They pretty clearly attribute them to the ancient elf spirit possessing you, the animations even show that for many of them.

I picked this on up after dabbling with the first one and enjoying the nemesis system a fair bit. Nemesis 2.0 sounds super fun. I got to play a bit last night and enjoyed it, but found the “tutorial” a bit lacking in the pop up timing and description. I didn’t play enough of Shadow of Mordor, so I don’t know the basics and they assume a lot.

Can anyone tell me what the (on PS4) what the X with a red starburst means? Is this a prompt to push X, or is it an attack telegraph and I need to dodge in some way?

He has the most powerful of superpowers: the ability to make his enemies indifferent.

20 v 1? 18 of us will stand around doing nothing at all. Every 20 seconds one of us MIGHT decide to try to attack the one guy. Maybe. Probably not.

I don’t know why this matters much to me in a game like this, but I’m trying to avoid spoilers. But I heard that the stealth-play in this game is pretty bare-bones/non-existent compared to the first one. How true is this? Is it mostly just running around in plain view and face-to-face action now?

What struck me as weird is that right out of the game, I got a loot crate that gave me a bunch of orc allies. Huh? Orc allies? What team am I on again?

-Tom

I don’t know why I kidded myself about possibly waiting for a sale on this. The first game (which I got during some pennies-on-the-dollar sale) provided the best gaming experiences on my Xbox One thus far. Installing Standard Edition now.

“Oh no, I was wrong.
I was a dark lord all along.
I guess you finally made an Uruk,
Oh yes you finally made an Uruk,
You finally made and Uruk out of me!”

Dunno what they did, some subtle art or graphical effect changed, but the orcs look lame now. They look like muppets. All happy, blended, smooth, and colorful. Really fucks up the mood/ambiance compared to the original. Not a fan of the setting either, not as dire as the pits.

Gameplay is extactly what I want, but I just feel like I’m interacting with pixar creatures.

The game is mildly buggy.

Putting stealth mode on toggle is a hugely bad idea as you will get stuck in stealth when in combat sometimes.,

I just finished sneaking through a mission undetected so that i could drop down from a building and kill a boss. I ended up bringing him to zero (i was then to interrogate him) and then i got stuck in a wall, unable to move.

I’ve been playing nemesis and it is mostly pretty fun, but it can be frustrating at times when i get instantly killed and have to redo a large portion of a mission.

Note that even running in to problems or insta dying to something, the checkpoints are generally pretty good so i don’t have to replay A TON.

There also NEEDS to be a way to skip nemesis intros. Some of these can go on for a very long time and you can encounter multiple at the same time leading to a VERY long cutscene.

Overall, i like the game, but like the first one, it is REALLY grindy, so go in to it knowing that.

I’m only an hour in, but so far I vastly prefer the setting to the original, which was just dreary and dull, at least in the first zone.

I’ve progressed further. The game sucks. Wasted $60. Regret this purchase. It’s like a beta test of Mordor’s finished product.

Just found a mission that seems impossible to get one of the bonus objectives.

You need to kill 15 orcs with explosions, by exploding barrels, but there are very few barrels in the area and the orcs don’t move at all because they are attacking something else, so you can’t lead them to the barrels.

They will follow you if they are chasing you…

This was the faelas mission where you need to kill more orcs than some drakes attacking them. Bonus objectives being to kill a drake and to kill 15 orcs with explosions.

The orcs don’t chase you because they are chasing the drakes.

The trick i found is to immediately explode everything in the map and do detonate on the fire pit. If this doesn’t bring you to 15, restart. There is a decent chance that if you can explode them all without a drake stealing one, you will get it, but you still might not. If a drake explodes one with their AOE breath, you just lost.

The drake killing is actually harder than i thought because dismount & kill is super buggy. more often than not, mounting a drake that i had shadow mounted did not allow me to hold RB to kill/dismount. It just dismounted me with the drake still alive. I’m not sure whether this is intentional because of something i did or a bug.

Then to kill the orcs i found backstabbing to be ideal. The drakes do rip through them, but the orcs are mostly distracted so with backstab and the talent that lets you multi backstab, you can kill them really fast.

Adaptable is kind of bullshit when fighting enemies with metal shields. They don’t appear breakable, so the enemy is basically immune to damage from the front unless you stun them. However, the tougher enemies will adapt to stun, vault over them, execution, stealth, etc before they die often times. This leaves you with a fight that grinds on forever simply because the enemy takes very little damage from anything.

I was so excited about this game when I saw the first few gameplay videos last year.

After reading the reviews here and the 3.1 user rating on Metacritic I am no longer purchasing this game.

Thank you Q23 for the feedback! I have been burned by too many day 1 releases that don’t meet the marketing hype ( cough No Man’s Land cough)

Seems like most of the bad user reviews are about the presence of loot boxes that are purchasable. People don’t seem to like having that option available in a single player game that they have bought. Seems reasonable, but I also see reviews that say there’s no need to buy those loot boxes and that the game is likely more fun without purchasing them. The bad reviews all seem to give the game a score of 0, which skews the average a fair bit, and I doubt the actual gameplay deserves a 0. So I guess my question is how much fun is the game without the loot boxes, as I’m unlikely to buy them anyway.

And I should also say that I don’t mind fortnite’s system of paying for the game (for early access, with the idea that it will be free to play eventually) and still being able to buy vbucks if you want. I’m enjoying the heck out of fortnite without spending money on extra vbucks, but I don’t mind that some people have spent small fortunes and are way ahead of me.

That was a very elaborate Simpsons reference. I applaud you.

Hmmm, seems this twitch streamer says the loot crates are a good addition.

:D

Did any of you guys buy any pizza rolls?