Mike Moore vows to go to Florida to film the election

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2004/07/30/Arts/moore040730.html

Michael Moore pledged on Wednesday to take a film crew to Florida on voting day in an attempt to prevent a repeat of the contested presidential election of 2000.

“I am committed. I am coming to Florida,” Moore was reported as saying in south Florida’s Sun-Sentinel newspaper.
Michael Moore

“Together we will guarantee to every Floridian that their vote will be counted this year,” he added before a cheering crowd of delegates at the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

Moore’s latest film, the wildly popular documentary Fahrenheit 9/11, takes U.S. President George W. Bush to task for the invasion of Iraq and his handling of the Sept. 11 attacks.

But it begins by recounting the events of the last presidential election, which was decided in Florida. Some Americans, Moore among them, believe that the Bush campaign stole the election from Al Gore by disenfranchising black voters in the Sunshine State.

Damn libruls, always whining about “counting every vote” and not “disenfranchising” people. What’s next, fair elections?

I bet he’s against a poll tax too.

I bet he spends all his time around Miami and doesn’t set foot in the panhandle.

Well, thank God!

With M. Moore and the UN both monitoring the election, maybe you guys will at least concede that Prez Bush won the the election this time. (Assuming he does, of course)

Or maybe not. :P

Is it troll day again?

Yeah because we have ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to believe Bush would rig the election, Cindy Sue.

Can anybody honestly tell me, with a straight face, that Bush won fair and square with no shennanigans?

Yes.

For example, assuming George W. Bush wins Florida while Al Gore wins the popular vote and is declared the winner in the closely contested states of Wisconsin, Iowa, New Mexico, and Oregon, the final Electoral College tally will be Bush 271, Gore 267. But as winner of the popular vote, Gore would gain an additional 21 electoral votes for winning 20 states and the District of Columbia, giving him a final tally of 288 electoral votes to Bush’s 271, thereby winning the presidency. Case closed – at least for Gore supporters.

We’re not talking about the popular vote; that’s just the electroral system. We’re talking about removing legal voters from the voter rolls, cops setting up roadblocks in black neighborhoods to “check id” on election day, shitty voting systems in poor areas, etc., etc.

Well obviously those things never happened because we’re the source of democracy in the world, right?

Cindy, you are either extremely stupid, or willfully obtuse. You didn’t even make an attempt to understand what I was talking about. You simply copy/pasted completely irrelevant data.

Go you. Way to represent the Repubs.

I wonder if moore will film himself eating, because he is fat you know…

Send him the fuck back, I don’t want him down here. I’m too busy disenfranchising people.

Well obviously those things never happened because we’re the source of democracy in the world, right?

Cindy, you are either extremely stupid, or willfully obtuse. You didn’t even make an attempt to understand what I was talking about. You simply copy/pasted completely irrelevant data.

Go you. Way to represent the Repubs.[/quote]

Show me, and everyone, please, any evidence of

We’re talking about removing legal voters from the voter rolls, cops setting up roadblocks in black neighborhoods to “check id” on election day
?

You people are amazing. :roll:

No actually, YOU are amazing.

As usual, you add nothing.

Have a feast.

You people are amazing. :roll:

I know it’s hard to believe how smart some people can be, but you too can read and have an informed opinion.

As usual, you add nothing.[/quote]

As usual you know nothing and want us to do research for you. Your sense of entitlement is almost librul!!!

[quote]DISSENTING REPORT ON FLORIDA FINDS NO DISCRIMINATION

Analysis Finds Errors in Majority Report; Better Data Reveals No Bias In Election

Dr. Abigail Thernstrom, a member of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, testified today before the Senate Rules Committee that the Commission’s majority report on the 2000 Florida election used flawed data to justify its preconceived, partisan belief that the election was marred by discrimination and disfranchisement of minority voters. A more rigorous statistical analysis of the Florida voting data found that the race of voters in recent Florida elections was statistically unrelated to the rate of ballot spoilage.

Commissioners Thernstrom and Russell Redenbaugh today released their dissent from the Commission’s majority report, which alleged disfranchisement of “countless” minority voters in Florida.

Their dissent found serious flaws in the methodology and analysis of the Commission’s study of voting patterns and practices. The Commission ignored extensive, unrefuted evidence that the Florida election suffered only from imperfections that were unrelated to race. No evidence supports allegations of disfranchisement or discrimination against minorities.

“The majority report used shoddy statistical analysis, coupled with anecdotal and unsubstantiated allegations—disregarding the preponderance of testimony—to paint a portrait of disfranchisement and intimidation of minorities in the Florida election that bears no resemblance whatsoever to actual fact,” said Dr. Thernstrom.

Thernstrom continued: “The Florida election was, in fact, free of racial bias, and was hampered only by problems that were neither motivated by racial discrimination nor served to disfranchise minority voters. By ignoring this evidence, the Commission has squandered its credibility as a fact-finding agency. We can only conclude that the Commission, as it is presently constituted, is unable to conduct objective research, and hence is no longer able to serve the public interest.”

Among the chief weaknesses of the Commission’s majority report outlined in Thernstrom and Redenbaugh’s dissent:

1. The majority report simply ignored the preponderance of witnesses who appeared before the Commission and testified that there was no evidence of discrimination or any race-based problems in the Florida election. Problems were caused by bureaucratic inefficiencies, inexperienced voters, or other technical problems that were unrelated to http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/dissenting_report_press_releas.htm

One of many reports.

I sho am glad that everything is ok!

10 seconds of Googling yields 20 or so hits that accuse the Manhattan Institute of being little more than a CIA think tank.

Extremists, extremists everywhere and not a moderate to think…

I’m a moderate! ME ME ME!

Ok, I am independent, though.