Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Rebooting the series

I was one of those who climbed the leaderboard on time trial in ME. Climbed pretty high even. It is a lot of fun figuring out how to get from A to B most efficiently. But that is exactly missing in single player. In single player it is pretty much a 3D platformer, just figuring out HOW to get from A to B is enough. And guns ruined everything.

So as long as there is no gun (to fight against or to use), and they make time trial part of the single player experience, then I’m there day 1.

And “Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst” won’t scare them away? That’s clearly some kind of descendent of the first game.

I’m the exact opposite. I loved the disarm centered combat in the original. And usually the levels with enemies allowed you to adopt and make up your own plan for taking them out or avoiding them.
Just doing time trials made the game feel very empty to me. And the DLC only exaggerated that feeling by placing you in a virtual time trial world.

I think there was three, maybe four very brief moments where you used weapons in a normal run of Mirror’s Edge, so I don’t why some people focused so much in how the weapons made the game worse.

Because it ruined the flow of the gameplay completely, and was suddenly a competely different game.

Its kinda like if Doom suddenly had you paint a mosaic 5-6 times to continue.

Anecdotal story : Both my kids and my GF LOVE the game, and have played it through completely. They all hated the gun levels, both because they found them very hard, but also because they actually don’t want to start having guns and shooting people.

Would it be a Doom related Mosaic? I would be ok with that.

We are talking here of a total of 25-35 seconds of optionally using weapons in a 4 hour hour game.

Yet it seems to have had a major impact on peoples enjoyment and is something they remember. Why are you arguing against the removal of the guns? Do you know who else liked guns?!

They stuck in people’s mind despite being only a few minutes long because they were so utterly different and shitty compared to the rest of the game.

Also, they were “optional” but keep in mind that the achievement for not using the guns was damn hard to get. The game was designed with the normal player taking and using the guns in those sections.

Uh? I’m not arguing against their removal. When did I say they were good?

I musing about the first part of your post: as you say, it seems to be a major impact on peoples enjoyment, even if they barely there. Reading people posts about the game, it’s like they were at least 20% of the game. And not the real 0.2%.

Classic shortsighted execs. They’ll have to think this again in 3 years! Hope their increased Ambien dosage will help them make the critical breakthrough realization that “2” is also a word.

“2 Edge 2 Mirror”

Is Lisa Miskovsky going to be doing any music for this game? Loved the game and loved that song Still Alive (the one without cake references).

The music was a big part of why Mirror’s Edge is special to me. It fit the game aesthetic so perfectly. I hope DICE manages to do it again, but I doubt it. We’ll see.

The iOS version of Mirror’s Edge was pretty cool, sort of an endless runner, but you could change direction and it had discrete, designed levels. It really captured the fluidity of motion that Mirror’s Edge proper seemed to be going for. I wouldn’t mind a souped up version of that.

Senior producer Sara Jansson:

“In Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, you won’t be using any guns at all. We’ve completely removed that aspect of the game. You can’t even pick them up.”

Yay! Now very excited.

You sure do seem to fight a lot with martial arts though.

Gameplay trailer

Yay for Combat! I do think Faith needs a rocketlauncher at some point as well.

I don’t get the hate for the melee combat in this, but then I didn’t get the hate for the combat in the original. I do think that Catalyst is an improvement since this seems to favor keeping momentum even in combat