Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Rebooting the series

I don’t think it’s going to surprise you if I tell you that I can be a little, well, let’s say obsessive about certain things. And it’s not necessarily always consistent what that will be, because often I don’t really care about speedruns or being the fastest. But when I tried the first few runs and say how I was just completely whiffing the top speed, I figured there had to be a trick involved, and often there is. The game won’t always show you a shortcut but protip: there’s always youtube. But it’s also kind of fun to try to fine-tune the actions that are sometimes required to get the maximum speed out of your run and for whatever reason, I enjoyed doing that.

It turns out, the next mission I did last night was the last mission of the game. Very cool ending mission with a lot of spectacle on display.

But then I tried some of the earlier races, to see if any of my new abilities and tools help get me better stars. Nope.

Damn it.

Also, I’m two abilities away from getting all the upgrades. I wonder how long that will take without any story missions or side missions left? Does getting better stars in races get me experience points I wonder? I never really paid attention before.

It feels good to finally finish a game. I think the last game I finished was either Ori and the Blind Forest, or RAGE and it’s DLC. I played both of those around the same time last year, and I was on a real high thinking I’d be finishing games left and right. Instead, I’ve played lots of Forza Horizon 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Alien Isolation, Ratchet & Clank, Arkham Knight, No Man’s Sky, Path of Exile, Diablo 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Bloodborne, Cuphead and others, but finished nothing.

Well okay, I did finish Diablo 3 multiple times, but I’m not counting it until I get the Necro done as well. Then I’ll have finished TWO games this year: Diablo 3 and Mirror’s Edge.

You should play more Telltale games. Easy to finish, get a feeling of accomplishment with minimal effort.

Really? I played Walking Dead Season 1 intensely for a long time. I don’t remember it being a short game at all. I think it took a month to finish, maybe more.

EDIT: Nope, Steam says 14.6 hours on record. I guess it just felt really long, but it wasn’t.
Just to bring it back on topic: 23 hours on record for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst.

Ok, I said I was done, but I couldn’t leave the game without at least doing this once:

:-P

toast

I saw this image today and it reminded me of a couple of neat things about this game.

This building is one of those cool things that look good in the background in a video game, you know? Look at that, a skyscraper with a wind turbine built into it, isn’t that neat? It forms a nice backdrop as you’re exploring the rest of the city, so it’s always there in the background, looming, being impressive to look at, especially when you get to the more expensive districts and get closer and closer and realize that this building is huge.

And then at the end of the game, you actually have your final showdown on this building. And yes, you get to interact with the giant wind turbine. It’s actually really cool, and I’d forgotten about until I saw that image.

Looks at backlog, yep its still waiting for me. :|

That is pretty awesome.

Not like in Oblivion where you see the Imperial City and it’s tower looming “so far away” and then you can walk there in a couple of minutes right at the start. And it’s not so impressive.

I go past this on the train every day:

I mean, sure, the fans are neat, but am I the only one who sees a leering face with an evil grin? That’s one terrifying skyscraper.

-Tom

Still waiting on those skyscrapers(?) that bletch out giant gusts of flame. On that point, LA only has one year left to course correct for the Bladerunner skyline. (to fit the timeline)

I just started playing this game after noticing it on Origin Access. Man am I enjoying parkouring around the city and exploring. The game is very much improved to me by completely turning off Runner’s view (or w/e it’s called) and just letting me figure out how to get around by myself.

I definitely won’t be 100ing it though as some of these delivery missions are frustrating.

Dive^3 told me above not to try to 3 star those missions near the beginning of the game, since you learn new abilities close to the end of the story, then you can come back and try to 3 star those delivery missions and such. I think that’s what I did. Although, for the life of me, I can’t recall if he was right about learning new abilities. I can’t remember any.

Well, you buy new abilities. Plus you don’t want to try speedrunning anything until you at least get the grappling hook.

Even without the races you still have those fragile delivery missions, some of which are over a minute in length (so if you fall after 45 minutes time to restart) and the non-fragile delivery missions which I always seem to complete with < 3 seconds left when I finally get to them. And at the end of the day it just seems like pointless busy work since they just give XP, and right now I have skill points I can’t spend because I"m gated via story progression (even with ignoring most of the races).

So I"m choosing not to burn myself out on worthless side stuff :). I’d rather just do full side missions.

Add someone to your friends list, that way later you have an excuse to beat their times. :)

Although, just getting one star, two stars, three stars was pretty good incentive.

Yeah @KallDrexx, there’s two kinds of people: those who see races as pointless busywork, and those who see it as a prod to get to the top. Nothing wrong with either point of view, but if you don’t enjoy the races for themselves, not much reason to do them.

This is going to sound really really really dumb, but 11 hours in I finally realized that when it tells me that I can boost my speed with SHIFT, it’s not talking about the damn shift key.

Suddenly a lot of the races seem a lot less frustrating.

Heh. This is what you get for playing with keyboard and mouse! :)