MLB 2017 - A new weird reality

Well… this year was kind of weird and somewhat unexpected. The Cubs had been favorites, but they were the Cubs. The Chapman loan pushed them over the top, and ultimately that might have been the difference down the stretch. But what will we do now that we don’t have the northsiders to make fun of any more? This feels like some weird alternate reality now.

Will Cleveland beat THEIR streak this year? After their epic folding job against Chicago, can they recover? I think they probably will, but don’t think Napoli will be around to see it. Likewise, Chapman should be gone from Chicago, possibly back to the Yankees, but we’ll see. Toronto may lose at least one major slugger to free agency. The Giants need a closer beyond all other things–30 blown saves in a year, most of which seemingly came in September, is not a way to play. The Rangers may have given up on parts of their long-term rotation (and no I really don’t want to talk about their postseason series against the Blue Jays, that was nearly as painful at 2015’s).

Who will surprise in 2017? What are your predictions?

— Alan

I pick the Giants to win it all and break the odd year curse. It’ll have been 85 years since they last won the World Series in an odd year.

In my heart, I’m with you. With my money, I’m picking Cubs-Dodgers/Nats in the CS.

Pick up someone like Cespedes and some significant bullpen upgrades, and I’ll start changing my tune.

I disagree with Alan that Cleveland folded in Chicago. They simply ran out of gas. Tito should be magician, if not manager, of the year for getting them that far on baling wire and band aids. I expect that they’ll be right back in it next year, assuming a healthy rotation and a full year of Andrew Miller. And if Michael Brantley can get healthy again, they’ll really be formidable.

And Buster Posey wins his first Gold Glove, snapping Yadi’s 8 year win streak! WTG, Busta!

Francisco Lindor picks one up as well. Well deserved, and the youngest shortstop since Trammell in '80.

YAY!

I presume this is part of the settlement MLB agreed to w/r/t MLB.tv last year.

And also still fuck 'em, I have to be a cable subscriber? Go to hell.

Yeah, its a start in the right direction, but I’ve already cut the cable so it doesn’t actually help.

White Sox will be mired in the basement this year but it will be very optimistic in Sox-land with all the new prospects. I am looking forward to going to some Smokies games when they play Birmingham to catch a preview of the up and comers.

No, but it’s a crack in the door to getting all the stupid blackout restrictions removed.

Confirmed reports coming out of the Dominican Republic that Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura and Diamondbacks (and former Cleveland) infielder-utility man Andy Marte died in SEPARATE car accidents overnight.

Awful, horrible news.

I’ve been in the DR for the last week. It’s amazing that there aren’t a lot more accidents, the way traffic is down here. Little cycles weaving in and out everywhere, cars stopping in the street to unload, almost no traffic signals, just about every rule of the road treated as optional. My buddies and I have a cab driver we know that takes us everywhere, couldn’t pay me to drive myself.

Probably the same in just about any developing country. My biggest culture shock upon visiting Manila for the first time was the chaotic traffic. Traffic signals absent or ignored, 3 foot wide potholes, and all the honking (horns are basically used to determine right of way). They seem to manage it fairly well, but all it would take is some alcohol to turn it into disaster.

Anyway, sad news. Thanks for all the memories Yordano.

Fuck me - Not sure if it’s been verified, but reports out of the DR are that Ventura was still alive after the crash, and when spotted by a group of passersby, they looted him, including his championship ring, and then left him to die instead of getting help.

They’ll make it official tomorrow; Cleveland is getting the All-Star Game in 2019. I wonder what massive, smiling red bargaining chip the Indians could offer the league to make this happen?

Edit: Not to say it isn’t deserved. Cleveland as a city shined in hosting the RNC and NBA Finals last year, the team has a young core that should keep them relevant for a few years, and the recent/ongoing renovations have really helped modernize the park.

So late last week the judge who oversaw the trial of former Cardinals executive Chris Correa in the hacking case unsealed documents…and they’re pretty damning. There’'s just no way to look at what Correa did and think that his version (which we’ve heard, through his lawyers) that he was checking to see if former St. Louis front office people working for the Astros had taken proprietary info.

Instead, it’s clear that Correa was looking at scouting and injury reports and projections, including Astros proprietary info on Marco Gonzales, who was the Cardinals first overall draft pick that year.

Reading just Correa’s account of things, I thought “I bet there’s only a fine,” given the close relationship between the commissioner’s office and Cardinals ownership. Now, though? Commissioner Manfred has to throw the book at them and set an example and precedent. I expect the Cardinals to lose draft picks AND international signing money…maybe as high as a first round pick (or even multiple picks) and all their international pool money. That would leave an impact and send a message.

As for Correa, he’s begun a 4-year sentence in federal prison. What a spectacular fall from grace for that guy.

Since they’ve been phasing Chief Wahoo out for a while now, it’s hard for me to understand why they still need “conversations” with the Commissioner and a “process” to get rid of that damned logo altogether. Is it really so lucrative to their product marketing that they can’t just announce a cut-off date and be done with it?

Cards lose top two 2017 draft picks and $2m to the Astros. That seems reasonable. At least it’s behind them now.

Yeah, I’ve seen some folks saying they got off light, but I don’t think it’s that light. The Cardinals had already forfeited their #19 pick for signing Dexter Fowler, so the two picks going to Houston are the next two available. I think Manfred wanted to get the punitive phase of this resolved in 2017 and not wait a year to take a #1 in 2018.

More importantly and hurting the Cardinals is that the slot money for those two picks goes with them to the Astros. The Cardinals already had the lowest slot $ for the 2017 draft going in, and now that figure’s been nearly halved again.

Astros seem happy with this. Cardinals seem happy to put this behind them, as does MLB. Precedent is established for any future, similar wrongdoing.

And Chris Correa gets a lifetime ban from MLB in any capacity, not that that was necessary.