MLB 2017 - A new weird reality

Seattle I think had to share Junior with Reds fans a bit. Edgar was all theirs.

Last night, Joey Votto’s streak of reaching base twice a game ended at 20, tying Barry Bonds and Pete Rose, and finishing one short of Ted Williams’ record.

He’s got two hits thus far today. Time to start a new streak.

Several years ago, I once saw someone wearing a Dave Kingman Angels jersey. He played 10 games for the Halos in 1977, one of four teams he played for that year, and hit .194. So, pretty sure it was a homemade jersey, but still pretty amusing.

I love Safeco Field. First time I went was in 2000. They were playing the Dodgers, and the place was completely packed. Our seats were at the top of the upper deck in right field. The only thing behind me was the plexiglass to prevent anyone from falling onto the train tracks below. Despite that, it was still pretty easy to follow the game, and we had a terrific view of Puget Sound. Was also the only time I ever got to see Rickey Henderson play in person.

Been a fun week in the NL Central for pitchers.

Cubs may have lost Jon Lester for an extended stretch with a lat issue.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals have lost closer Trevor Rosenthal and starter Adam Wainwright to elbow issues. Expecting both to be Tommy Johns. (Waino, his second; Rosenthal his first.)

Hard to believe they still print paper copies of this. It’s out of date pretty much immediately, I’d think.

I wish I still had my copy of the first baseball prospectus as a reminder about how amazing it was to watch baseball stats go from worthless to interesting.

Not MLB but one of the best catches you’ll see this year (Junior League WS):

Catch of the Year

Wow. The Dodgers couldn’t scrape up one run to support Hill.

Wow.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/24/545907916/benches-clear-again-and-again-during-brawls-between-yankees-and-tigers

The Tigers aren’t making any news with their play on the field this year. Guess this is one way to get some attention.

There was some bad blood from earlier this year when these two played in the Bronx, too. Everyone said the right things after that, but these things tend to linger in players’ memories. I doubt that had anything to do with the initial hit batsman, but I bet it was a factor in how far and fast things escalated later on.

The Athletic is a subscription-based sports site that started out with Chicago and has quickly been expanding their coverage to new markets. With Rosenthal on-board they’re breaking in to national coverage.

BREAKING

Only 2 games per sucker punch seems like a pretty good deal!

Bob Uecker said that he was once in a fight on the field where two guys held his arms while a third took shots at him. But what really hurt was that they were his teammates.

Beautiful day at the ballpark.

Plenty of good seats still available.

Not too much interest in two last place teams.

**Still had 26,000 attendance.

Interesting. I have a pretty good idea what 26,000 people look like in that ballpark…

Anyway, I’ve enjoyed many games involving crappy teams over the years - hope you had a great day.

With the worst team in baseball here in Philadelphia, something the cheer about, as Rhys Hoskins, a fifth round pick from a few years back, homers again, becoming fastest to 11 HRs in MLB history. And, he started a triple play:

Hoskins, by the way, has been a first basemen his entire career, but is playing LF to keep Tommy Joseph in the lineup.

And the Phils take two of three versus the defending champs.

Combined score of three game series: Cleveland 20 - KC 0.