MLB 2017 - A new weird reality

Feeling happy this morning, idiotic decision on West aside.

Indians trade for Jay Bruce, costs them one A-ball relief pitcher, Ryder Ryan. It’s technically just a rental (the Tribe is also picking up Bruce’s full remaining salary), but that’s a pretty low cost for a big bat that seems to have “found himself” again.

Bruce has ‘found himself’ dozens of times. Maybe the widest month-to-month variation of any streaky hitter I can recall.

True enough.

Yeah, Bruce is a crazy streaky hitter. One thing he does have going for him is an absolute hose from right field, and that never goes into a slump.

Given our injuries and OF/general offensive production lately it’s worth the minimal risk. If it doesn’t pan out we’ve given up a guy who’s got an ERA near 5 in A ball.

Kind of surprised a guy with that much pop made it through waivers though. Is it a combination of salary and positional needs for the contenders?

That cat has a +1 WAR rating :)

My favorite twitter comment so far: “Rally Cat is like making a trade.”

One of my co-workers was like “Do you think someone will adopt him?”

I was like “Half the city of St. Louis wants to adopt that cat.”

What am I missing here?

#RallyCat was lost after the game, but a really cool group that does trap/neuter/return on feral cats in the downtown St. Louis area caught the little guy on Friday morning and he’s doing well, currently undergoing a 10-day quarantine before the ballclub can adopt him.

Yikes. Bryce Harper just hurt his knee, and it looked bad. Was trying to beat out an infield hit and slipped across the first base bag and his knee bent backwards.

Watch at own risk…

Hopefully just a hyperextension. The playoffs will be a lot more interesting if he’s playing.

Woof. That looked like classic season-ending torn ACL.

A buddy of mine mentioned that it looked a little similar to the knee injury that took out Harper’s teammate, Adam Eaton, earlier this year. Although Eaton sort of turned his knee sideways, and Harper slid across the top (it rained a lot in the area here today.)

Bone bruises can be bad, but maybe not season-ending.

Get well soon, Bryce. We’re gonna need you.

Fun trivia answer someday:
Both Bruce Bochy and Dusty Baker gained wins #1836 to pass Lou Pinniella - in the same ballpark on the same day.

Wow, nice.

Amazing thing about Weaver wasn’t that he was brilliantly effective early in his career, but rather that for 2-4 seasons here at the end he was still getting a fair number of guys out with a fastball that was topping at 80 mph.

I made my first ever visit to Safeco Field in Seattle yesterday, watched the Mariners edge out the Orioles. My friend Paul got great seats, about 10 rows back almost directly behind home plate.

Besides the game itself, I enjoyed going through the Mariners Hall of Fame section. Lots of old school stuff in there about teams and leagues I’d never heard of, as far back as the late 1800s. And of course plenty about key Mariners players of he last few decades.

Walking around and people watching a bit, I was struck by how many Edgar Martinez jerseys were in evidence. By far the most common retired player’s jersey. I was expecting more Griffeys!